OHM Deepstar 2.1

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: 80mileshigh

By 80mileshigh and Axel.

Deepstar is an interplanetary spacecraft, designed to explore the outer solar system.  This add-on includes Deepstar, two landers, and landing sites for Io, Rhea, Titan, Titania and Triton.

This latest version of Deepstar resolves compatibility problems with Orbiter 2010.

DOWNLOAD

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Hi!
There is a problem when landing on Titan, the lander began spinning rapidly in the atmosphere for landing and take-off :idk:

Titan's atmosphere is too much for these landers which are designed for airless moons. I have nearly completed a winged atmospheric lander which will permit landing on Titan. In the meantime you could hitch a DG or one of the XR's to one of Deepstar's free docking ports, and land on Titan this way.

There is a readme for the add-on in your doc folder - Deepstar2.1.pdf - which describes this on page 6:

... the landers that accompany Deepstar for this version are not designed for atmospheric landings so the site on Titan should be explored by other means for now.

sitha241

Reaction score
Hi!
I took it to a spin around moon and landed with lander on surface..I must admit since I am used to DGIV I had some problems trying to learn to fly it..but I did land perfectly on surface.,Waited for Deepstar and then went up manualy ( my first try to take of from moon and dock all manually without autopilots) it was smooth ride..docking was hard, it is hard to remember all is inverted but at the end I did it, went to LEO and finished scenario :D
Nice craft to fly, good work :)

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
not one, but TWO delta gliders! *whistles* thats a nice budget your program has

amansfield

Reaction score
Very happy to see this great ship updated.
But.........the only problem I have is to EVA from a lander on a moon you fall from the top of the lander and have no way of getting back in. Would it be possible to add a second dock at the bottom ?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very happy to see this great ship updated.
But.........the only problem I have is to EVA from a lander on a moon you fall from the top of the lander and have no way of getting back in. Would it be possible to add a second dock at the bottom ?

I can't speak for this or other intermediate releases, but by Deepstar 3.0 the UMMU ingress/egress point will be at the base of the ladder.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you! This was and is (know again) one of my favorit, near realistic deepspace spacecrafts!

Auzar

Reaction score
Hi, the new version of Deepstar disappeared to edits a mass, isp, etc., as i can get it back? )

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi, the new version of Deepstar disappeared to edits a mass, isp, etc., as i can get it back? )

The author removed the addon, as it had problems with the current Orbiter version. The current version cannot be edited, but the next should have that feature.

fullarmor2

Reaction score
When I launch a Deepstar scenario the Sun is a black disc? I have the 3-D Sun adon and it works fine when doing my XR scenarios? Why wouldn't it work while doing Deepstar?

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Do you know when Deepstar is going to be fixed and available for download? I just discovered it and am interested. I like the idea of being able to dock additional spacecraft to it like an XR and a DG. A DG would make for a good lander for Venus since it doesn't get destroyed by the intense pressure. Also, Deepstar seems like a mobile space station to me, and I like the idea of being able to put it in Orbit anywhere like say, the Moon, and then its like I have a space station at the Moon to launch from and to and to do docking! This thing is great!

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

I just tried Deepstar again, but this time I started with an XR scenario and the Sun looked fine. Then I added a Deepstar with the scenario editer to LEO and it worked! I have Deepstar and a normal Sun! I'm just getting into using Deepstar for the first time, and if it works good, and I am able to do the things that I think I can, I'm going to be happy. For example, I've been wanting to be able to have a station where ever I want one. Definitely one at Mars. And this will act as a space station in addition to being an interplanetary ship. It will be cool as hell to be able to launch from and to Deepstar, not only at Mars but a bunch of other places as well. This is how I plan to use it starting off. I hope it works well for my purpose.

vsfx

Orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I'm struggling with the low thrust engines and wondering if there are any tips or useful MFDs? It's a great looking add-on and I love the whole design and the landers as well, but I haven't been able to use it much if at all. I can use TransX and IMFD for flight planning but how do I work out when to perform the burns that raise my apoapsis and eventually break me free from Earth?