General Question Deltaglider Autopilot

johndeere5

Reaction score
I forgot which one of the deltaglider that I have that include its own moder autopilot system, anyway, here's some question regarding to the autopilot, when I'm on Earth and want to go to Mars, I input the proper code in the autopilot panel below the primary panel, when I did so then press "execute" button, the autopilot will take-off then fly to orbit, but heres the problem, instead of going to orbit then to Mars, it shut the engine down and display autopilot completed, I tried again, but this time I input the code to go directly into orbit, then input the code to go to Mars, but heres the problem as well, after I press execute button, the autopilot aims directly at earth and did max thrust, then well, you know the rest on that, :salute:died on reentry:salute:, here's the number one question above all, What is going on?? Any help will be extremely grateful, thanks.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
What autopilot string are you entering???
For example PRO906SPEC65

The DGIV's autopilot won't take you all the way out to Mars. I recommend getting the IMFD manual here... [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142"]IMFD Full Manual/Playbacks[/ame]
It's a lot to process, but once you learn THIS particular AP, you'll find that it will take you anywhere you want to go.

Tommy

Reaction score
Sounds like you are using the DGIV, by DanSteph. This is the only DG style craft that has the autopilots you mentioned. However, there seems to be some confusion. The 900 series autopilots you refer to (P903, etc) are for ASCENT only. They will get you from the surface of a planet or moon into orbit around the same planet/moon. They are NOT capable of interplantary flight.

There are two main tools used for interplanetary flight - TransX and IMFD. Of those two, IMFD is probably the easiest for a novice pilot, and has some "Autoburn" capabilities, but TransX will teach you more about the mechanics of interplanetary transfer.

The IMFD Full Manual (available at OrbitHanger - see the "quicklinks" at the top of this page) will help you get around the solar system with IMFD, but it will help if you understand the concepts of interplanetary transfers first. I recomend AR81's tutorial as a good place to start. It's for an older version of IMFD, but the concepts are the same no matter what version or tool you use.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]Tutorial: Concepts for Interplanetary MFD 4.2.1[/ame]