DeltaGlider model for sale on eBay

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
There was a more recent episode of a "company" based in the UK that packages and sells free software on Amazon.com. An alert Orbinaut pointed it out and immediately the Doctor was alerted. :D

Keatah

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't see how this is any different than contracting out an artist to do a "piece" for your home. Apparently the company will duplicate anything you either send them enough pictures of, or 3D datafiles from your favorite modeling program.

I believe it would fall to the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law. Each model produced by this company is a commissioned and individual work of art. I think the law would see it as paying for the artist's time and not the product(whatever it may be).

This is significantly different than printing up a box, manual and duping CD's with Orbiter code on it.

Look at the Star Trek models, Paramount Pictures hasn't shut them down. I don't think they can! Or they don't care. Again, this probably falls under fair use.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Look at the Star Trek models, Paramount Pictures hasn't shut them down. I don't think they can! Or they don't care. Again, this probably falls under fair use.

Yeah, but if I would use a Creative Commons license with "by", they would at least have to mention me as original artist of the model they reproduced.

Even if they can legally sell it for they did really enough own work, and it is maybe a good way in my intent to see my model represented (contrary to appearing in crappy B-movies).

I suspect, the better question is: Could they have done the model without my design? Sure not, they can't claim they have suddenly invented something new, that has all the traits of my design.

I think an email to the original designer and at least mentioning who designed something in the shop would be the minimum. It is not that much about money, I am pretty sure many add-on developers would actually love to buy one of their own designs from them, but I suspect that the shop would actually have to pay license fees, since they are not fulfilling all fair use criteria. Companies like Revell need to pay serious money to Warner for using their trademarks, and you still need to assemble and paint the stuff yourself.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Not giving credit to the original designers and Orbiter is as though to say they walk into a supermarket, shoplift and hope they do not get caught. Emphasis on the 'hope'.

In this part of the world where I live, such idiocity is sadly, very commonplace.