DeltaGlider model for sale on eBay

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, odd. Is this the work of an Orbinaut? Speak up, whoever you are. :lol:

But...that's a picture of a DG-III. I wonder why. :shrug:

Edit: Upon reading the description, this seems pretty sketchy.

'This Premier-Quality handcrafted "Delta Glider Space Orbiter Spacecraft Wood Model" ...'

And worse...it's in Comic Sans. This is definitely pure evil.

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
If it's a model of the DG-III by DanSteph, then the copyright is his and he needs to be informed. I forget who lays claim to the shape of the stock DeltaGlider mark 4, but given the picture attached to the item I think this could do with being posted on Dan's forum as well.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They seem to have many models just waiting for the first customer before they actually produce one.

Not sure if I would like this, if one of my designs appears there. While I usually do things for free here, I also expect non-commercial use of them... otherwise, I would like to be the one who gets a fair share of the money, that is earned that way.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
...hand-sculpted made from environment-friendly and abundant kiln-dried Philippine Mahogany Wood and skillfully handpainted by gifted artists.
Length = 14 inches
Model Weight = 2 pounds (0.90 kgs)
1. Import DGIII model into modeling program of choice
2. Scale to 14 units at longest length
3. Find volume
4. Multiply by the average density of Philippine Mahogany.*
5. ...
6. PROFIT!

*Data for "Philippine Mahogany, dry" is not available, but data for "Mahogany, dry" is roughly the same.
*Neglect mass of paint.

Or, you can use your judgement. :tiphat:

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Well, this is produced by a company, I believe to be located out of California. They design them here in the united states. And they use overseas labor to build and paint the models. Then they import them back to the states and sell on ebay as one source of distribution. The other being an internet storefront.

This company seems to be doing the same thing for many other models from Star Trek and Star Wars and other franchises.

And the gifted artists is probably a band of slave laborers off-shore. "Gifted artists", a very generic term that raises suspicion.

I best leave it up to other folks determine the legalities and how to best "shut'em down" if they are in violation. However, won't the company, claim this is fair use or something? They seem to be successful with many other copyrighted sci-fi models?

Last edited:

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I forget who lays claim to the shape of the stock DeltaGlider mark 4.
Roger "Frying Tiger" Long, since Mk.2, and DanSteph's model is based on it too.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I see nothing to attest to their alleged skill or modeling prowess. there are no examples of models already built that I saw of these particular spacecraft. BOO

Keatah

Reaction score
After thinking about this for a little while. There is probably no legal action for the simple reason it is a make-on-demand commission type product.

The analogy would be like paying an artist to paint a picture of you, and have this as a backdrop or something. And it's such a niche product anyways. No mass production involved.

Or just like paying an artist to do a painting. It is the artists work that will copyrighted and not the subject matter, this is a 3-d painting/sculpture much like a 2-d canvas painting.

Sorry for getting everyone riled up about it.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Once they get a hold of a maker-bot, then all hope is lost! Every ship in orbiter will be duplicated!

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

But really, some of the models look pretty good, take a look at the photos of the others. Heck, they do models of stuff I want that I can't find as a kit anyplace!

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What's wrong with Comic Sans??? Hmm?
How can anyone tell the difference?
I need to look carefully to notice the letters are different between this page and comic sans.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I won't mind commissioning someone to make one of dbeachy's XR series for me so long as the author is informed and the model is exclusive to me.

Advertising it openly on ebay to me reeks of profiteering from others' hard work (DG design) since the original author (Frying Tiger) is not informed that his 3D design was being adapted to a scale model and will not receive any credit.

Furthermore I believe that a genuine exclusive work of art like a sailing ship desk replica would have been much better worded in its product name and advertising text. I don't have any confidence with the marketing as linked to in this thread, which reeks of a Made in China imitation product.

Heck, anyone with the skills of a craftman to make an authentic, accurate replica of a ship (sea, air or whatever) wouldn't be advertising his skills on ebay. Quality will be negligible in this case. I expect it to turn out like those wooden kids toys you can get at flea markets for $1.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
I believe it will only be Orbiter groupies that buy this model. Just like a star wars fan would only tend to buy star wars stuff. I certainly don't go buying anime stuff, and that's because I don't get into it like a die hard fan would.

From the looks of the other models I would think it would be better than the dollar-store flea market toys, but not up to the level of a Hasegawa!

I would certainly like to see Coolhand's 1:144th XR-2 come out soon!

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Once they get a hold of a maker-bot, then all hope is lost! Every ship in orbiter will be duplicated!
That would be one for the courts to ponder. I can well imagine a scenario where the court would consider a hand carved wooden model to have enough creative expression to not infringe the copyright of the original author, whereas a model made by rapid prototyping could be considered less expressive. Whether that makes it morally "right" or not is a different matter :shrug:

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I believe it will only be Orbiter groupies that buy this model. Just like a star wars fan would only tend to buy star wars stuff. I certainly don't go buying anime stuff, and that's because I don't get into it like a die hard fan would.

From the looks of the other models I would think it would be better than the dollar-store flea market toys, but not up to the level of a Hasegawa!

I would certainly like to see Coolhand's 1:144th XR-2 come out soon!

Doug! I want an XR2 1:72 on my desk :D Would be good Orbiter exposure if Hasegawa, Tamiya etc feature a line of airfixes based on Orbiter!

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
In its current state orbiter store would not be able sell models etc, only things that can be produced by zazzle.

I'm hoping to change this in the future, but not any time soon.

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
It seems like it goes to a new level now, back on M6 there once was somebody who printed out the manual PDF, made a cheap box, burned Orbiter on a CD and sold that on eBay. I remember that that guy also met the appropiate consequences.