Question DeltagliderIV hover to chosen pad

haze39

Reaction score
Hi

I (finally) made it to bring DGIV from orbit to KSC in one piece,and with crew alive...(wow)

The only thing is that i landed a "bit" west of the OPF building.let's say a kilometer more or less.

My question is that i want to hover from the landingspot to a chosen pad at KSC.Is there a way i can do this automatically?..

I have tried to figure it out with the HOVER Mfd,but with ad luck..Maybe there is something i do wrong.Anybody who can give me a tip?

Thx
haze39

Marijn

Reaction score
HoverMFD can do the job, but setting up the autopilot is a bit tricky. Here's how I do it:

First enter the target. Goto page 2, select Base with + / - buttons, click SET and enter BASENAME space 0). The 0 suffix means the first available free pad. You could enter a pad number as well. Click ENG to engage it.

Page 3:
Engage Target Distance = 0
Engage VS To Target = 0
Don't engage Horizontal Speed!

Page 1:
Engage Altitude = 0;

Horizontal speed will attempt to maintain the set speed. That's not what you want while approaching through an atmosphere. You want to slow down as much as possible by inducing drag. That's why you want to activate this setting at the last possible moment.

While approaching the base, watch the Brake Now Rate on page 3. This number should increase during the approach. If it closes in on the value set in Brake Rate, for example 78% when 81% is set, enter your current horizontal speed on the same page. Engage it.

Enable the autpilot. Lean back and relax while the craft lands itself on a free pad. If it fails, then your alignment was probably out of tolerance. You still need to line up with the base as good as you can in order to give the AP a fair chance.

I like to glide all the way to the base and arrive at a stall speed only a few hundred meters away from the landing pads and activate the AP at that moment.