Flight Question DG fail to escape from Earth SOI using both TransX and Transfer MFD

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, Keithth G and others, when do you consider a burn as short burn and when is it a long burn?

In fluffy words: If the burn time is no longer significant shorter than the orbit period. If you have an orbit period of 7000 seconds, 70 seconds is pretty short. if you have 700 seconds burn it is not.

If you have a short burn time, the basic simplifications above still work: The gravity behaves almost like it is constant/Galilean and changes in your acceleration are not disturbing you. but the longer the burn gets, the bigger does the difference between your assumptions and reality become.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Lastly, to both Urwumpe and Keithth G, can I ask both of you is what boogabooga said in the first reply true? I mean is it true that my eject burn should be done at half of my DTe value calculated?

Glad to see where my credibility stands... :rolleyes:

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
No boogabooga. I don't have any intention, nor do I have any ulterior motive. I just like to confirm your statement because the replies made by other members hardly mentioned your case. They do not focus on burn times like what you had mentioned in your post.

Anyway, since the burn time can be less accurate using the simple and rather crude Transfer MFD, and given the fact that I am getting familar with IMFD. I can simply rely on IMFD automatic burns. It is ok, though, you have also increased my knowledge. Not bad, it is just that after your first reply, urwumpe and keithth G quickly take over your place in answering my questions. That doesn't mean you have lost the game.

It is just the beginning. (No, not a violent competition, I mean sequence competition, who answer first, who answer last, that's all.)

Thank you boogabooga. I won't forget you. I don't know how old are you actually. I am 17.

Also, Urwumpe. Who is greater than 30 years old? I don't know who is that "anybody" you are referring to? You mean boogabooga?

Sorry, bad English.

Nicholas.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, Urwumpe. Who is greater than 30 years old? I don't know who is that "anybody" you are referring to?

Just anybody including me. :lol:

(Actually, AFAIR only Keithth G is younger than 30. You can trust him.)

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
I think the following reply is getting more and more off-topic. So, I try to avoid unnecessary replies. Why we cannot trust anybody greater than 30 years old. Your explanation and boogabooga's one aren't bad. Why can't I trust you (and boogabooga if he is below 30)?

We, young people should learn from experienced people greater than 30, shouldn't we?

Nicholas.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We, young people should learn from experienced people greater than 30, shouldn't we?

:lol: This now escalates a bit, and I am sure it is a lot of cultural bias lost in translation there. Don't take it too serious.

The original is this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Weinberg#.22Don.27t_trust_anyone_over_30.22. It is a typical sentence that went out of control and had been pretty present in my teenage years... and you know, you are damn old, if your teenage years happened in a past and alien century.

Generally, you can trust Keithth G, if it is about exact definitions and mathematics. He really knows what he is talking about.

Contrary to me from another era, who sometimes wonders: Did this happen in the pleistocean or was it last week?

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Urwumpe,

You mentioned cultural bias lost in translation. Do you mean western culture differs from eastern culture?

I don't understand you last sentence:

Contrary to me from another era, who sometimes wonders: Did this happen in the pleistocean or was it last week?

I don't think our talk here has anything to do with time frames. Why you mentioned different epoch?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
So, basically I can only only rely on external MFD to fly to Mars?
Without any external MFD, my burn using Transfer MFD to Mars can NEVER be accurate?
It won't be as accurate (or fun) as with IMFD or TransX, but it'll get you there.
Have a read at this tutorial:
http://www.orbitermars.co.uk/oldindex.htm
It's pretty old, but it should still work.

Questions about if TransferMFD is good enough come up quite often on OF:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=104844&postcount=5

Oh, and a last thing: we are from all over the world, from different cultures, backgrounds, ages (I'm 52) and every now and then there can be a few friendly misunderstandings due to something getting unavoidably "lost in translation" (as Urwumpe said).
Orbiter Forum is such a beautiful, etherogeneous environment, there's so much to learn from so many brilliant members, it is a jawdropping experience, and that is the reward.
Don't take this latest talks too seriously!

:cheers:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I think the following reply is getting more and more off-topic. So, I try to avoid unnecessary replies. Why we cannot trust anybody greater than 30 years old. Your explanation and boogabooga's one aren't bad. Why can't I trust you (and boogabooga if he is below 30)?

Nicholas.

Urwumpe was making a joke based on a phrase that was popular in the US and other western countries in the late 1960's / early 1970's. He does not seriously mean that you should not rust anyone over thirty in discussions on this forum.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I am a serious student, especially in my studies. So, I assume no jokes when answering my questions. I am not humorous either. Basically, the joke, according to wikipedia says that it is used extensively by the media to ridicule the young. So, who's leg is urwumpe trying to pull? Urwumpe is trying to make fun of boogabooga or me?

I need to stop replying for at least 1 week. Need to focus on my studies. See all of you then.

Bye.

Nicholas.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am not humorous either.

My heartfelt sympathy.

Your questions on facts are answered by looking at who is answering on which quotation by which user.

About the social channel of the communication, I recommend suspending the discussion about this sentence, before you really ridicule yourself. It is much ado about nothing already.

For it being a joke on your costs, I would have had to assume that you know the age of the involved users. Which was definitly beyond your capability and gaining this knowledge is not even an easy task for forum regulars. You can't know it.

It was just an ironic remark towards boogabooga, whose expertise was not equally respected despite it being correct and there being no evidence of him ever providing wrong answers.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
So, who's leg is urwumpe trying to pull? Urwumpe is trying to make fun of boogabooga or me?
Oh come on. Once you finish your serious studies and start working, you'll recognize that it's expected to make such innocent jokes, or your seriousness drives you insane.

Disclaimer: I'm over 30, but many people don't believe it, so I can cheat them.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm Spartacus!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Disclaimer: I'm over 30, but many people don't believe it, so I can cheat them.

Same here. Sadly it does also happen when talking about the promotion to senior software developer.