Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Decided to start a thread about it because of these news:

A company wants to develop a F-35 module for DCS and is looking for initial funding on kickstarter.

(Link to Kinney Interactive is dead)

Since there are already quite a few people here using DCS and much more F-35 fans, maybe it interests somebody.

Last edited:

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
I'm a big fan of DCS, using the Ka-50, A-10C and the Huey regulary. An F-35 sounds promising, but I would prefer the F-35B with VTOL capability. ;)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'd be interested in the F-35C carrier variant.

Melvin

Reaction score
I heard that DCS World went free to play and includes a Frogfoot in the basic download. Great news indeed.

Here's the press release...

DCS World
[DCS World] Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) is a free-to-play digital battlefield game, focusing on a military aircraft simulation. It includes a FREE Su-25T attack aircraft and it is extensible through additional DCS modules as well as user-made add-ons and mods.

DCS World includes a vast mission area of the Caucasus region that encompasses much of Georgia - the location of the Russian invasion of Georgia in 2008. Additionally, DCS World includes:

Powerful mission and campaign editors
Multiplayer
Massive inventory of air, land and sea combat units and weapons
Advanced AI
Fast mission generator
Dynamic weather and seasons
Training missions
Mission replay system
Pilot log book

This all allows the creation of engaging, real-world combat missions in this flashpoint region. DCS is a true "sandbox" simulation that can and will cover multiple time periods covering many types of combat and civilian units. DCS World allows both realistic game play and more relaxed game play to suit the player.

DCS modules that can plug into DCS World can include aircraft, maps, ground units, campaigns, etc. Not only can DCS World include modules developed internally by Eagle Dynamics, but it can also include those by certified third party developers. The first third party aircraft will be the UH-1H Huey.

DCS World includes a FREE Su-25T "Frogfoot" attack aircraft!

Other modules that can be purchased for DCS World include:

DCS: A-10C Warthog. Warthog brings the most realistic PC simulation of a modern fixed wing combat aircraft in regards to flight dynamics, avionics, sensors, and weapon systems. Warthog is considered by many to be the current bench mark of PC flight simulation.

DCS: Ka-50 Black Shark 2. The Ka-50 "Black Shark" is a unique and deadly single-seat, Russian attack helicopter that has seen combat in the Northern Caucasus. It combines a high performance dual rotor system with a deadly weapons payload of guided missiles, rockets, bombs, and a 30mm cannon.

DCS: P-51D Mustang. The most realistic simulation ever done of this legendary World War 2 ear fighter.

DCS: Combined Arms. DCS: Combined Arms gives you control of ground forces during the battle. Use the Command Map to move ground forces, set artillery fire missions, and control the ground battle. Assume the role of a Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) in multiplayer and designate targets for player-controlled close air support aircraft, or directly control armor vehicles or air defense weapons and engage the enemy.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
DCS: A-10C "sim-pilot" here! :)

Also heard about the F-35, but to be honest I'm much more interested in the upcoming F/A-18 (probably the C version?), mostly because of carrier operations, though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have A-10C, Combined Arms, Flaming Cliffs 3, Black Shark 2 and P-51D Mustang here, but I currently specialize pretty much on A-10C and Combined Arms, with some P-51 aerobatics from time to time for fun.

I would wish some better European aircraft there... the German airforce is pretty badly represented in DCS currently (but better than for example France), while the models aren't far off (Phantom and Tornado), the aircraft are not in the right variants... especially a Tornado ECR module for DCS would be my personal "Want this" moment (The ECR is something that the Eurofighter still can't really replace, despite having its own great EW package).

But the German ground forces give an old mudcrawler like me some nostalgic feelings, it really looks EPIC when you can make a German tank division attack warsaw pact positions.

And yes: DCS:World is a great basic engine for combat flight simulations. That you can already take part in multiplayer battles with the free download is a nice move, I doubt many people will not buy the extra modules after some time playing DCS:World. It isn't expensive, the extra modules are really of good quality and the module management of DCS is the best I had seen so far.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not surprising... Kickstarter is about investments. It says little about the risks of the investment failing. It simply opens a possibility for people to invest into projects, who would usually not do such investments, but it does not change the nature of the investment.

If I would make a kickstarter for SSU, I wouldn't invest into it currently. We have no solid business plan at all for it. It is different for example in the case of Star Citizen, where somebody with experience did some good planning and had been able to show how the money is going to be invested.

It isn't different if you invest 100 or 100,000 into something, the considerations you should do are the same.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I downloaded DCS: World last month. Unfortunately haven't had much time to check it out, but it did look good. Since I own LOMAC, I'll probably at least get Flaming Cliffs 3 and go from there. My current lack of "free time" is the only detriment to these plans...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Huh. Downloaded DCS World on Steam yesterday. It just finished now... and promptly started redownloading the entire game again to 'update.' Fantastic. There goes my download limit for the month.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Belsimtek is now selling pre-purchase versions of their Mil-8 helicopter module.

From the website news:

DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight is a highly realistic PC simulation of the Mi-8MTV2, a combat transport and fire support helicopter and an upgraded variant of one of the most widely produced helicopters in the world - the Russian Mi-8 (NATO reporting name ‘Hip’). Developed by Belsimtek and Eagle Dynamics, the team behind the hit title DCS: UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 continues to deliver exceptional realism and immersive gameplay within the DCS World virtual battlefield.

The simulation features accurate modeling of all primary aircraft systems, avionics, and proper functionality of nearly all cockpit switches and controls. Flight and other dynamics are modeled using real-time physics calculations and carefully tuned using actual Mi-8MTV2 documentation and pilots deeply involved in development and testing. The result is not only the most realistic Mi-8 reproduction on the PC, but a comprehensive helicopter model that correctly presents complex dynamic effects particular to helicopter flight, such as: autorotation, vortex ring state (VRS), translational lift, hover in and out of ground effect, and many others.

You are placed in the cockpit of the Mi-8MTV2 to fly combat transport and support missions as the left pilot, right pilot or gunner. The helicopter can be armed with unguided rockets, gun pods, and on-board machine guns. In the transport role, a cargo of up to four tons can be carried internally or three tons on an external sling system to deliver and retrieve supplies in a wide variety of terrain and weather conditions. A series of single missions and a handcrafted, immersive campaign plunge you into the heat of battle in the DCS World battlefield of countless AI and a variety of player-controlled fighter and attack aircraft, helicopters, and ground units. Get online to play with or against other DCS players in a synthetic online battlefield.

A quickstart guide and interactive training help you get started quickly while the comprehensive Flight Manual details the helicopter’s systems and operational procedures. A wide variety of gameplay options allows each player to tailor their difficulty level as required.

Key Features of DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight include:
  • Unmatched flight physics providing the most realistic and dynamic conventional helicopter experience on the PC
  • Multiple player positions, including pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer, and door gunner
  • Accurate and highly detailed 3D cockpit featuring six-degrees-of-freedom technology compatible with head-tracking devices
  • Interactive cockpit controls that allow you to operate systems using the mouse
  • Accurate modeling of the Mi-8MTV2 instruments, weapons, engines, radios, fuel, electrical, and hydraulic systems
  • Highly detailed Mi-8MTV2 external 3D model, liveries, and weapons
  • Accurate audio environment based on custom Mi-8MTV2 sound samples
  • Immersive, handcrafted campaign with a variety of transport and fire support missions
  • Training with interactive and video lessons
  • Multiplayer coop mode for crew members of the same helicopter under development for a later update
  • Developed in close cooperation with actual Mi-8MTV2 operators

Additionally DCS 1.2.6 is now available:

(Some emphasis of mine, what was long disturbing me, that got improved)

1.2.6 Change Log

DCS World
  • Added new anti-ship penetrating warhead for anti-ship missiles.
  • Increased Max G for the following missiles: R-60 (from 18 to 42), MICA (from 18 to 24), and R-40 (from 8 to 15).
  • R-27ET: Decreased rear hemisphere DLZ.
  • R-73: Corrected mass and thrust.
  • R-77: Corrected time, fuel flow and thrust.
  • SA-8 Osa: Increased range at low altitude from 6 to 8 km.
  • Corrected the lock on range of IR missiles.
  • Added Australia as a new country choice.
  • Renamed APA-50 to APA-5D.
  • Fixed error with coalition.addGroup()function.
  • Added a new 3D model for the B-8V20 rocket launcher.
  • Added a new 3D model of Tu-22M3 (beta).
  • Fog of War: Aircraft will no longer be visible on F10 map once it leaves line of sight of enemy units.
  • Added exhaust smoke to Kusnetsov aircraft carrier.
  • Kills are now tracked in the Log Book for Campaigns.
  • Engagement range of ground units has been adjusted.
  • Su-25T bomb Interval and Quantity are now working correctly.
  • Trigger GROUP DEATH will working with event ON DESTROY.
  • Fixed several SAMs ignoring the set "Alarm State Green".
  • Debriefing: Fixed event recording. This will also correct log book errors.
  • MiG-23 will now attack the moving ground target with rockets.
  • Many minor corrections in the game.
  • Wingman will report leader about enemy radar activity.
  • Multiplayer: Radio communications are now working.
  • Multiplayer: Debriefing window in the mission is now disabled for clients.
  • Multiplayer: Fixed several crashes.

Flaming Cliffs 3 (A-10A: DCS Flaming Cliffs)
  • A-10A: Removed AAQ-28 TGP.
  • A-10A: Corrected standby compass showing wrong heading.
  • A-10A: Added PAC.
  • A-10A: HUD fixed pitch angle indicator jumping from -90 to +90, when standing still on the ground is fixed.
  • A-10A: Simultaneous engine start now working.
  • A-10A: Fixed AIM-9 air to air mode.
  • A-10A: Removed glideslope indication on the HUD.
  • A-10A: Fixed ADI yellow vertical bar.
  • A-10A: AoA indicator, indexer and AoA sound corrected.
  • A-10A: Fixed HSI outer needle.
  • A-10A: Added Stability Augmentation System (SAS).
  • Su-33: Corrected AoA indexer.
  • MiG-29 and Su-27/33: The vertical scan will not lock target automatically. Instead, player must press and hold the ENTER button to lock the target.
  • Added RShift modifier to Kneeboard next/previous page commands (conflicted with Ka-50 Shkval track gate size controls).
  • Su-25T: Removed targe diamond on the HUD.
  • F-15C: Fixed altitude hold when air to air refueling.
  • AWACS: Decreased the answer pause between picture requests.
  • Corrected some missions.
  • ATC now available for Kusnetsov aircraft carrier.

DCS: A-10C Warthog
  • The engines will start after repair.
  • If PTR switch is set to STOW and back to ABLE the pitch steering bar may freeze is fixed.
  • A-10C. SAS and EAC switches fixed.

DCS: Combined Arms
  • Fixed multiplayer crash when land groups are assigned a route.
  • Added German CA Manual.
  • Smoke markers for controlled ground units are limited with 10 smokes at each color.
  • Input: Absent joystick commands restored.
  • HUD: Added cues of masking for line of firing by vehicle elements.
  • HUD: Added health points indicator.
  • MP missions replaced to MP folder.

DCS: Black Shark 2
  • Added RShift modifier to Kneeboard next/previous page commands (conflicted with Ka-50 Shkval track gate size controls).
  • Lighting night vision cockpit switch modifier moved to LCtrl to prevent conflict with Kneeboard ON/OFF key.

DCS: P-51D Mustang
  • Fixed no UNSAFE warning light and horn when throttle retarded.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Another Kickstarter, this time the names might be pretty known among the Orbiter-Forum world: They had been the leading developers behind the Il-2 series.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944

Of course, also all had been pretty lost from the radar for years, with different stories how they left the flight sim industry.

Still, I think this kickstarter might fail as well: Even just $100,000 is a huge budget for a flight sim project (while only paying effectively one developer for one year). While I am pretty sure that they could deliver there, this project is very close to Il-2 after all, the "September 2014" plan is also pretty short for the number of planned aircraft.

I would wish that the $1,000,000 target is hit though... sounds like what the P-51D module of DCS really needs.

EDIT: At least the money allocation and planning, that they describe on the kickstarter page, sounds pretty regular to me, nothing too optimistic.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I stopped caring about the IL-2 folks when they sold out and put their last product on consoles instead of PCs.

Melvin

Reaction score
I thought the IL2 guy, people (person) were the ones behind the piece of trash Warthunder game.

Am I missing something here?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I thought the IL2 guy, people (person) were the ones behind the piece of trash Warthunder game.

Am I missing something here?

Different people, though the official successor for the Il-2 series, Wings of Prey (what Hielor refers to), was published by the War thunder studio, Gaijin Entertainment. They also did the XBox/PS2 version of Il-2 before Wings of Prey.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I stopped caring about the IL-2 folks when they sold out and put their last product on consoles instead of PCs.

Cliffs of Dover was PC only, and Birds of Prey was released on PC as Wings of Prey a while ago. Not to mention, it was different dev team that worked on BoP.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Hmm

The last combat flight sim I used was this

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Flight_Simulator_WWII_Europe_Series"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Flight_Simulator_WWII_Europe_Series[/ame]

Only 15 years old now :lol: