DIY Keyboard Modification for Orbiter

HazMatt

Reaction score
I'm working on a keyboard modification that will label common Orbiter 2010 commands on a standard USB keyboard. This modified keyboard would be used in conjunction with a modified USB number keypad.

You can still have a separate keyboard for regular typing, as long as it is USB.

I'll post the label sheet here when the project is finished. This is a drawing of the draft labels.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
That image could be a nice addition to the Orbiter manual.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Note that labels for F and I keys will be obsolete for the new Orbiter release.

You can still have a separate keyboard for regular typing, as long as it is USB.
I'm not sure I understand. If you have a PS2 keyboard and an USB keyboard, you can't use the former for typing? :shrug:

HazMatt

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand. If you have a PS2 keyboard and an USB keyboard, you can't use the former for typing? :shrug:

When using multiple keyboards I recommend using all USB keyboards because they always work. If you are using a PS2 keyboard with a USB keyboard, the results may vary.

sitha241

Reaction score

HazMatt

Reaction score
The prototype DIY Keyboard Mod for Orbiter is finished. I will now test-fly it to determine if it needs any changes.

If it tests ok, I'll post the label sheet with instructions.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The prototype DIY Keyboard Mod for Orbiter is finished. I will now test-fly it to determine if it needs any changes.

Looks great. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your actual set up so I can see how you have the keyboards placed/mounted at your computer.

HazMatt

Reaction score
Looks great. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your actual set up so I can see how you have the keyboards placed/mounted at your computer.

Well I intend for people to be able to set the modified keyboard and keypad on their desk next to their normal keyboard. Currently I have mine attached to the DIY Roll-Away Flight Sim for testing.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Do you have to keep pressing the RCS mode key to switch between rotational and translational? If so, does someone know a way, to have them both active at the same time ?

HarvesteR

Reaction score
IIRC, the Fly-by-wire mod lets you map simultaneous rotation and translation inputs. :)

Cheers

HazMatt

Reaction score
Do you have to keep pressing the RCS mode key to switch between rotational and translational? If so, does someone know a way, to have them both active at the same time ?

This keyboard mod uses the default key bindings, so yes you would still press the RCS mode key as usual. However, I tried to address that with the separate keypad. The translation commands are on the keypad, and the rotation commands are on the keyboard's number keys. I believe it reduces the number of errors that I make when maneuvering and it certainly helps when I can't remember a key assignment.

HazMatt

Reaction score
The instructions and button page for the DIY Keyboard Mod are finished! This will be my first time posting an Add-On file, so I will need to read about that first before I upload it to O-F.

I also have an idea for a custom button layout that will place the buttons on your keyboard in positions similar to the on-screen instrument panel for the Delta Glider. It would include more extensive instructions and a config file for the keyboard assignments. That will be my next major update for this project.

HazMatt

Reaction score
And will be most welcome I think

Thanks. I uploaded the DIY Keyboard Mod to Orbit Hangar a week ago. It's my first upload, so I think it has to be reviewed and approved by a moderator.
Wish me luck!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Did you check the box, to agree to the terms of OH ?

HazMatt

Reaction score
The new version of the DIY Keyboard Mod will change the actual key assignments for nearly all commands. The result will be a keyboard layout that is more similar to the on-screen layout of the Delta Glider, clearly labeled, and easier for a beginner to use.

(I understand that if you have memorized all the default keyboard assignments, this project may not be helpful for you.)