Question Does a HUD MFD exist?

buznee

Reaction score
I know this sounds kind of dumb considering the whole point of the HUD is to have you "head up" and not looking down but I have another purpose for this. By using this in conjunction with external MFD I should be able to project the HUD graphics onto a collimated lens and onto a piece of glass, essentially making my own real heads up display for a simpit. The problem I have is I don't know how to send the isolated and updated HUD graphics to seperate screen but if someone has an MFD app that simply replicates the HUD graphics then the problem is solved because all I would need to do is open external MFD, select the HUD MFD app (which probably doesn't exist) and move it along my extended desktop to the correct screen that has the projection.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

You know now that I think about it some more, having a HUD MFD that simply replicates the HUD graphics would be very useful because the HUD provides lots of good orientation information and for those trying to make a capsule based ship without a HUD it could provide very good spacial orientation info through the MFDs like direction of prograde, retrograde and angles. I also believe having this feature would allow those who want to create a heads up display be possible. Is this a difficult task? It should allow you to switch between the various HUD modes, maybe color and brightness adjustment too. It should also stay on even if you turn off the actual HUD with ctrl+H function.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's a utility addon called HUDdrawerSDK, written by Enjo, which allows developers to draw on the HUD. E.g. look at my RV Orientation addon for an example of how this looks. As a generic thing ... duplicating an MFD onto the HUD is kinda what the virtual glass cockpit mode already does for you with the green MFD's.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There's a utility addon called HUDdrawerSDK, written by Enjo, which allows developers to draw on the HUD. E.g. look at my RV Orientation addon for an example of how this looks. As a generic thing ... duplicating an MFD onto the HUD is kinda what the virtual glass cockpit mode already does for you with the green MFD's.

I think the OP meant it the other way around: bringing HUD info into an MFD mode.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the OP meant it the other way around: bringing HUD info into an MFD mode.

Hmm - harder to do. Probably a vessel designer question then.

As a generic solution, you'd have to intercept anything that writes to the HUD and send the drawing instructions to an MFD. The ModuleMessagingExt library would be ideal to move the information into the MFD's address space. Does anyone know how to do the HUD intercept, or does this need direct support from the Orbiter core?

buznee

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it was a thought to make it easier to send the HUD graphics to a dedicated display, therefore allowing you to create a real HUD for a simpit. Would there be a better way to do this?