Flight Question Does Orbiter really have realistic aerodynamics?

SpaceBoy2

Reaction score
I launched a Falcon 9 and tried shutting off the engines mid flight. Isn't that supposed to spin the rocket due to aerodynamic forces (I know in real life it going to blow up)? But that didn't happen

In short: Does Orbiter model the airflow around a craft?

By the way is there a mod that can cause explosions mid flight when stress limits are passed?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I launched a Falcon 9 and tried shutting off the engines mid flight.

A rocket won't explode because it stops accelerating... If it suddenly goes inert, it should behave pretty much like a ballistic missile, the airflow will keep the pointy end ahead.

Then yes in real life there are dynamic pressure limits not to exceed. Usually the higher the AoA, the lower the tolerance.

In Orbiter you define such things in the addon .dll module (C++ coding). The "hardcoded" behavior is very basic (the exception are gravitational forces), and it was meant to be so, it lets a lot of freedom to the addon developers.

SpaceBoy2

Reaction score
Yes yes, I know what you said in the first two paragraphs. But I didn't see it reflected in gameplay. Maybe I didn't do it the right way. I'll try again

Reply to 3rd paragraph: Yeah I thought that was how it worked but thanks for confirming

But do you know if the Falcon9 add-on models the airflow fairly realistically?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

That's the kind of things you should ask to the addon developer, he's the one that knows what is in his code. Addons usually have a dedicated thread where you can discuss those kind of things, suggest improvements : https://www.orbiter-forum.com/forums/addons.30/

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
if you are referring to my "Falcon9 for Orbiter2016" add-on - then the answer is "not very".
It probably has somewhere around the right drag and lift, but turning moments and changing CoG are not modelled.
Aerodynamic limits and mid-air explosions are not modelled either.
Bear in mind, when I started the project, I simply wanted to see how it was possible for SpaceX to do the "Boostback" maneuvre. Success criteria was to get the booster stage to hit the ground within a few km of target.
Cheers,
BrianJ

SpaceBoy2

Reaction score
That's the kind of things you should ask to the addon developer, he's the one that knows what is in his code. Addons usually have a dedicated thread where you can discuss those kind of things, suggest improvements : https://www.orbiter-forum.com/forums/addons.30/
Thanks

Hi,
if you are referring to my "Falcon9 for Orbiter2016" add-on - then the answer is "not very".
It probably has somewhere around the right drag and lift, but turning moments and changing CoG are not modelled.
Aerodynamic limits and mid-air explosions are not modelled either.
Bear in mind, when I started the project, I simply wanted to see how it was possible for SpaceX to do the "Boostback" maneuvre. Success criteria was to get the booster stage to hit the ground within a few km of target.
Cheers,
BrianJ
Okay thanks. That's the add-on I'm using. Pretty good add-on. Good work ?