Dreams... Orbiter...

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So guys,

as some of you may have noticed I suddenly disappeared from the forum in the last weeks.

Well there's a nice and curious reason.

I'll make it very short and easy:

I have a long time passion for Formula 1, always followed, Ferrari fan of course since the Schumacher time. With the knowledge of programming learned here I setup a small software for telemetry analysis that I was using in some articles I have been writing for a website made up by some friends.

Then I found totally by chance the email of one of the guy of Sky (the television) and I sent my analysis to him. He called me the same day and ZAP! we are setting up an agreement and every race weekend I am sending them my graphs and my analysis, they air the graphs, give me credits live calling directly my name etc etc. We are also talking about being with them for the next 3 years or so.

Of course now I am working to make the software much better on all the aspects (performance, accuracy, usage etc) because they are very demanding, so I had to pause everything related to orbiter because each spare bit of time I have is now fully committed to this suddenly very big project.

It all started around 10 years ago with the Artlav SC3 to c++ converter and look what can happen in life!

I'll be back soon, I promise and I always keep my promises, but I first have to make this thing work perfectly, even if my work has always been away from all of this, this is a sort of a dream come true.

I'll keep looking in the forum and as soon as I have just a bit of time I will finalize a release of VB (which luckily was really advanced so there should be no major bug for it).

Just wanted to let you know, because it really started all here!

:cheers:

Fred

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
That's awesome, congratulations!

Saw a concept for a modern front engined IndyCar in Schumacher colors.

FerrariRoadster.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Congratulations. One of my customers had been working for Red Bull Racing for some years, before returning to VW in a higher position.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Congrats!
Funny how, looking back, it's always a series of freak accidents that define big things in one's life.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I told you how I feel Fred. Orbiter is fun, but not everything. We''ll wait for you, for sure.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations Fred18, sounds like you have achieved the ideal combination of work and fun!

Colleague of mine(didn't know him well) worked in Formula One as a sound-engineer. Mostly with production sound(what you hear on the telly) and some talk-back/comms which you aren't supposed to!.

This was after the company we were working for lost its UK commercial franchise and lots of redundancy were made.
Saw him a few years later, and he'd enjoyed it, his wife didn't, too much traveling.
Said it was demanding on time and effort, but they were very good payers!
Odd part of his contract was that he had to indemnify himself against injury and sickness.
Basically if he couldn't do the job, he had to pay for someone else to do it.
It was a long time ago >20 years, so may not be legal now.
Either way, read the small print!

N.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations Fred!!! Have fun with F1 and all the best :thumbup:
I am sure once you are back you''ll find mosty of us are still here :yes:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice to hear that!

Can I just ask you to release Vessel Builder ?
It's good enough I think...

Robotic animations need to be fixed.

llarian

Reaction score
Is there a preliminary version available that can be used to experiment with?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In my experience, this would be a good time to make the project open source. The chances that someone will finish it for you are rather slim, but being able to say "I don't have the time right now, but if you want it so badly, you're welcome to do it yourself" tends to give me some peace of mind, even though I might have to put an hour into merging pull requests every other week or so. But you're kind of lucky if that ever happens.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In my experience, this would be a good time to make the project open source. The chances that someone will finish it for you are rather slim, but being able to say "I don't have the time right now, but if you want it so badly, you're welcome to do it yourself" tends to give me some peace of mind, even though I might have to put an hour into merging pull requests every other week or so. But you're kind of lucky if that ever happens.

I will, it is already on github I'll make it public. But TBH it's something huge. it could be a big headache for someone to enter it. It's something around 100 files and I'm not professional programmer so a lot of stuff could look weird to a pro. anyway it will come public.

As far as the robotic animation: it is true that I cannot replicate the example of donamy and his astronaut but I still haven't found why, it is really complex to get into this. It is also true that for "normal" stuff it works.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I will, it is already on github I'll make it public. But TBH it's something huge. it could be a big headache for someone to enter it. It's something around 100 files and I'm not professional programmer so a lot of stuff could look weird to a pro. anyway it will come public.

As far as the robotic animation: it is true that I cannot replicate the example of donamy and his astronaut but I still haven't found why, it is really complex to get into this. It is also true that for "normal" stuff it works.

I would recommend you then to write something like a "will" of your intentions of the project to tell others, which kind of improvements you would like to see in your absence. This way, you could even appoint somebody as maintainer of your artistic vision, if you are lacking the time to do it yourself.

But I would recommend you spending maybe a few hours every week to filter and include pull requests that you like and not have too many direct contributors in your team (unless you trust them, of course)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

I believe you need to eliminate the "choose all parts not listed" to be attached together. I think if it works with SC3, it should work with VB.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
[...]and I'm not professional programmer so a lot of stuff could look weird to a pro.

No "Pro" was born that way!

...and every "Pro" that feels like cleaning up your code-base can do so and get himself in the line of fire :p

It's not a "how to write clean code" repository - it's a chance that your ideas and effort don't get lost.
:thumbup:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and I'm not professional programmer so a lot of stuff could look weird to a pro.

The pros are quite often too busy cleaning up their own messy code :lol:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Follow your dreams, fred18! We will sure miss you, though. :cheers: