Installation Dumbest question in existence: How do i install add-ons (ships, scenery and more)

Kyle_E

Begining Double Bassist
Reaction score
For most add-ons you can simply extract the zip file over your Orbiter install. Make sure the extractor program does not make a new containing folder. Most add-ons are set up so that when you do, all the files will go to the right places. However, if there is a new base or some sort of custom scenery, you will probably have to modify a config file. Most add-ons will have all changes like that in the readme. If you want to know where to find add-ons, some get shared here on the forum. Most however will be released on orbithangar.com.
If you haven't already, the first thing I would do is install the D3D9 client: you will find that here users.kymp.net/~p501474a/D3D9Client/ . That will make Orbiter use DirectX9 instead of DirectX7. You will really need to read the manual for that though, it makes a lot of changes.
Hope that helps!

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
You may want to use the JonesSoft Mod Enabler.

This create a MOD folder, where the mods a first copied into. Via the Mod Enabler they then can be activated and deactivated. This to avoid cluttering the Orbiter installation with a lot of mods.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Downloaded this Su-25 mod and then it doesn't work even if I made it to extract to orbiter folder.

Well, lets work on the communication. What is "this" Su-25 mod? You mean this one?

Next, this is possibly a very old add-on, so there might be some legacy dependencies, which are outdated by now. In this case, its likely "Aircraft.dll" which wasn't yet updated for 2016, so it MIGHT be incompatible. Did you install this as well? It should be in the add-on package.

Finally: Always make sure you unzip the files and preserve the folder structure inside the ZIP file. All the content for an add-on has to go into specific folders in the Orbiter directory. meshes to meshes, textures to texture, config to config, DLL to modules.

Reaction score

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The short answer is simply extract the add-on's .zip file into your Orbiter installation's top-level folder; e.g., C:\Orbiter. Beyond that, some add-ons require additional configuration steps, so you will need to check the add-on's readme file and/or instructions on its download page.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
When I have started to play Orbiter 2016 in August 2018, the first add-on I have ever downloaded is Orbiter Sound 4.5. When I installed the add-on, I found that you have to install the downloaded add-on to your Orbiter 2016 directory.

(reposted my comment with some alterations to comply with the OF rules.)

Pahema

Reaction score
I am feeling very dumb and now I wanna spice up my Orbiter 2016 installation (MSI installed) with more things but I don't know how.
I think someone once said something along the lines of "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers". Of course, only very rarely do we encounter those types of answers here. Very rarely indeed. Good luck with everything. :)

AndriiKOSMONAVT

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Falcon, Andrii
Hello, go to the orbiter folder where are folders like modules and meshes. next open the zip file of the your addon and extract files like modules and meshes. sorry bad english

Andrii