DX7 on WIndows 10

pegasusairandspace

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently got myself a windows 10 laptop in 64 bit and has been rather powerful and fast lately. I generally use various versions of D3D9 (depending on addon preference) and this gives me perfect performance. However...there are those few missions such as the project R7 addons that often don't appreciate D3D9 and often crash. For example the early warhead scenario always crashes for me upon reentry as do most of the R7 missions. To work around this I have to use the stock DX7 version of the game...which is where the real problem begins. I went to run Luna 2 only to find that the attitude errors in flight were severe, as much as 1 degree sometimes and this results in trajectories that would either graze the moon...or miss it completely. My frame rates tend to reduce as low as 10fps and I seem to get the impression it is a DX7 issue. As I understand it, Windows 10 refuses to allow hardware acceleration and so practically uses the CPU for everything at this point. The lags in performance seem to be attributable to my poor flight paths. I know this because all versions on my older XP machines give flawless and consistent results. Is there a way to make orbiter 2010 run faster on windows 10 without being dependent upon D3D9 since some mods aren't compatible?

-Thanks all.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
DX7 is outdated, and backwards compatibility has its limits. Maybe you could try an emulator ?