Support Earth High-Resolution Clouds Very Pixelated

Alexrey

Reaction score
I guys,

I recently downloaded the Earth High-Resolution Clouds mod (http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=29046) but I'm now getting horrible looking clouds. I did as the readme said, and just copied the textures into my Textures2 folder, overwriting the default texture. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Here is a screenshot of my results:

Attachments

• clouds.jpg
    clouds.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 98

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Uh, I believe this is normal? It's a bunch of clouds over that area. Nothing wrong here.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There's been several reported instances of this, such as here and here. The problem appears to be unresolved.

Searching revealed this (one year old, so possibly out of date) thread which involves editing one of D3D9's shader files to get better clouds.

Felix24

Reaction score
When I made the clouds addon, I applied a bit of sharpening to help bring out the details. I may have added a bit too much. Part of the reason it's noticeable is because the clouds are a higher resolution than normal, so they look less fuzzy and have higher density and contrast when viewed close up.

The source textures I used are L10, which I had to reduce to L9, and then I had to trick Orbiter into thinking they are L8. I'm waiting for the day when clouds in Orbiter will be set free to have resolutions greater than L8 without any hacks.

Alexrey

Reaction score
Damn, tried all of those methods and nothing helped :/. Is it maybe to do with ones graphics card and corresponding drivers?

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Felix would know, but the issue is probably not with your graphics card or drivers. The issue is just that the clouds are low quality (relatively speaking, only level 9).

There are less built-in clouds, so you don't see them up close that often and do not appear pixelated, even though they are actually lower quality than the addon clouds.

The addon clouds
are a higher resolution than normal, so they look less fuzzy and have higher density and contrast when viewed close up.

Basically, you can see them better, so you notice the pixelation.

Did the shader fix not work?