News Engineering Company puts forward pan for Mars Base

NoLifeLine

Reaction score
I just watched this companys submission for the NASA 3d printed habitat competition. It seems pretty on the money to me.

HASSELL and structural engineers Eckersley O’Callaghan (EOC) designed an external shell that autonomous robots could build using nothing more than the planet’s natural regolith. This would allow exploration teams to arrive to a degree of protection from the harsh elements.

f617a6_c310d8130a944abcafc10f7b9eedb5a9~mv2.webp

After landing, the astronauts would quickly construct the building’s interior – a series of inflatable ‘pods’ with everything they would need for their work and life on Mars.

This habitat fulfils those functional needs, but still feels comfortable and familiar for the astronauts, like their homes back on Earth. It’s the kind of safe, secure place they need while doing the most important work in the history of space exploration.

HASSELL and EOC were shortlisted as a top 10 entry in the challenge, with final winners announced in early 2019.

VIDEO's and Article: https://www.nowscience.co.uk/single...s-forward-plan-for-3D-printed-Mars-Base-VIDEO

f617a6_303336d2c3bd4a9a9af9c433ec3419cc~mv2.webp

richfororbit

Reaction score
Reminds me of the space port in New Mexico, I think now.

I wouldn't of thought that would be the way to go about this. Interesting idea.

Those explorers will certainly be cut out for this.;) Adrenaline junkies.

klarkwhite

Reaction score
An interesting project. You know, I've been following the news about the colonization of Mars for a long time. It seems to me that this is a great opportunity for humanity to start developing a new society without the mistakes that were made on Earth. Perhaps in the future it will really help all states to find a common language and look at life on Earth from a different angle.

I'm wondering which of the private companies will be the first to start developing Mars. By the way on https://engre.co/services/design/civil-engineering/structural-engineering/ you can find companies that provide civil and construction design services that could implement such projects. Perhaps it would be better for such companies to combine their resources to create a better plan, or is this a bad idea? It would be interesting to know what you think about this.