Experiments you would send aloft on XAP

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
I hope so too, it would be sad to see XAP going down!

Currently I try to get some of the professors together for some kind of Ballooning Council, just like Glaisher had one (with people like Brewster, Herschel, Tyndall and others).

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I suppose manned ballooning is out of fassion, given that even students now send balloons high up into the sky and all the "major" things have been measured...

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know, back in the 1920s or so (earlier?) we thought all the major physics discoveries had been made, but we were sorely mistaken. Never use the excuse "all the major things have been discovered" as a reason for ceasing research. :)

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
I'd say so too. Up to now, there are only radiosondes available commercially which measure the meteorological elements, ozone and radiation. Many of the other tasks are not done by means of them.

The student balloons have up to now also only been flights of temperature sensors and automatic cameras (which is a great performance, no doubt!). In the big balloon we could have laboratory size instruments, not just miniatures of them.