Idea Extended "planetarium mode" graphics

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the other day i was thinking....

specially now that i'm beggining to venture to locations further than the moon, i was cogitating the creation of a module that adds a few more info to the F9 feature....

what i though was simply to have it show the orbital rings of every planet around the sun, and those of their moons around themselves....

that in a way that could be zoomed out and provide a visually-rich situation overview of the solar system... right now, as you zoom out, the markers which are further will hide, and you can't really see all at once.... :dry:

so i reckon it would be very very cool to have a special mode in which you can visualize orbital paths (perhaps for your vessel as well)...

this would add tremendously to situational awareness... and would be quite a treat for interplanetary cadets such as myself :thumbup:

anyways... i'm somewhat confident i could just as well pull this off myself... yet i'm a bit short of ideas on how to start...

how could one draw things (lines, mostly) directly into the main Orbiter display?

can i get any *pointers?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
that in a way that could be zoomed out and provide a visually-rich situation overview of the solar system...

Isn't the Orbiter Navgator going to be enough in that respect?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ah yes... very well pointed out...
:thumbup:
how's that going anyways?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
perhaps it would be double the awesome if the navigator could integrate to orbiter in the way i described above :hmm:...

how awesome would it be to be able to check your flight path just by zooming out? :rolleyes:
something like that would ease a lot on the learning curve deal... specially for the new guys :cool:

Bendarr

Reaction score
perhaps it would be double the awesome if the navigator could integrate to orbiter in the way i described above :hmm:...

how awesome would it be to be able to check your flight path just by zooming out? :rolleyes:
something like that would ease a lot on the learning curve deal... specially for the new guys :cool:

Yes! Please!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
something like that would ease a lot on the learning curve deal... specially for the new guys

I wouldn't say so. Even if you get all the stuff to display, you got an interface problem. You can't pan the map, and you can't select a planet by clicking on it. Maybe this could be done somehow, but it sounds somewhat hackish...

Plus, setting the time forward and backward would wreack major havoc with everything, and I'm pretty certain that even if you get the above done, you will fail on this.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
actually, the above can be accomplished by simply using the camera control dialog...

yeah, it's not as good as panning... but then again... this is not supposed to replace the navigator by any means - it's just meant to provide seamlessly available visual aids.....

and by using the scenario editor, one can also shift the current MJD and see what happens... shouldn't screw things up too bad (as long as this isn't really liked to the navigator as suggested earlier)... the graphics would just refresh around the current state :hmm: