OHM Failed Earth

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: xssa

What it might look like if Earth failed and Mars had succeded! Just place all files into the Textures folder. (Note:Replaces files!)

DOWNLOAD

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You had to release this on Earth Day, didn't you...? :uhh:

Other than that, you should really make it another system, rather than something that replaces the default Sol...not to mention that the atmosphere doesn't even reflect what a failure the Earth is, and the texture is probably inaccurate for the Earth's geology. Some more effort would go a long way.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A "failed" Earth would probably be like Venus : the result of a complete process of greenhouse effect.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Other than that, you should really make it another system, rather than something that replaces the default Sol...not to mention that the atmosphere doesn't even reflect what a failure the Earth is, and the texture is probably inaccurate for the Earth's geology.
It's definitely inaccurate for Earth, since it's Mars's texture... :p

Tedson

Reaction score
He simply put mars texture on earth, and vice versa. It sucks... -.-

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
replacing default files when it can be avoided (which in this case it could very well) is the mother of all no-go's of Orbiter add-on developement.

Even more, if you'd take the time to write up configs for an alternate sol-system you could even do without packaging the textures. Config files would be enough in that case, a matter of a few kilobytes.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
and you could change he atmosphere with a config file - for example there's no breathable air anymore

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why the negative comments, people? At least he made some effort of making a texture change. give him a break!:facepalm:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
All he did was copy/paste earth's textures onto mars and vice versa.

If he'd have made some effort to be topologically correct (a la Schimz's "Green Mars") It'd be kind of cool but frankly this is just lazy.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't want to say this in an attempt to degrade Schimz's efforts with Green Mars, but it isn't all that accurate either- the northern hemisphere is more-or-less correct, but the southern hemisphere is less so, and Hellas Planitia- deepmost part of the planet is not filled with water at all!

I understand how hard it is to make a convincing, let alone 100% accurate planetary texture. My earthlike moon for my Mu Arae system was made by cutting and pasting bits of good old Earth, kinda like a criminal composing a letter by cutting up characters from magazines and newspapers, and pasting them together...

And that was a particularly time consuming process, that took a lot of effort.

I remember seeing very interesting maps of a terraformed Mars on the NewMars forums, that were done by simulating rain over planetary topography. Turns out that Mars has all these individual low-points that don't drain anywhere else (craters, mostly), so the planet basically becomes the lake planet. Unfortunately though the NewMars forums seem to have vanished without a trace and I can't find these images anywhere.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Got to spend more time on it... Sorry...
Because you did a mismatch with textures...
Even i did better(assuming that im a horrible addon developer due to my bad revues)...
Well... Noter: Dont replace good things with completely and utterly horrible things...

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
1. Config the atmosphere. What you did was only a texture swap.
2. For the earth, better use the textures of [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3258"]Deadearth[/ame] and for Mars use the textures of [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4072"]GreenMars[/ame].

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Got to spend more time on it... Sorry...
Because you did a mismatch with textures...

YOU make a planet this way. Then tell me how much you'd like to "spend more time on it" after you're done...

I matched the textures up as best I could. Earth doesn't take well to being cut up and sewed back together all discombobulated.

Even i did better(assuming that im a horrible addon developer due to my bad revues)...
Well... Noter: Dont replace good things with completely and utterly horrible things...

Really? From what I see your habitable planet textures are the typical fractal and/or purely image editor derived programs, that lack complex rivers, lakes, mountain folds, and climate variations, that I don't find to be very realistic...

No offence, I guess that's just me disliking that particular style.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
YOU make a planet this way. Then tell me how much you'd like to "spend more time on it" after you're done...

I matched the textures up as best I could. Earth doesn't take well to being cut up and sewed back together all discombobulated.

Really? From what I see your habitable planet textures are the typical fractal and/or purely image editor derived programs, that lack complex rivers, lakes, mountain folds, and climate variations, that I don't find to be very realistic...

I never siad my stuff was good im just saying that my stuff is complete crap... Last time i checked you dont even put rivers nor complex mountains in your addons because you copied some textures from nasa and put them together... And you used a Venus texture from mariner or Venera on your gliese 581e

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Last time i checked you dont even put rivers nor complex mountains in your addons because you copied some textures from nasa and put them together... And you used a Venus texture from mariner or Venera on your gliese 581e

Wouldn't it make more sense to criticize your addons in the appropriate OH threads? Critique on each others addons will just get lost here IMHO.

regards,
Face

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To be fair, it is relevant to the general topic of making textures for planet addons. My cut'n'paste texture does have rivers, but they are rather cut-up and discombobulated (of course)... and it also has quite prominent mountains (cut'n'paste from Earth, again). Thought if fsci123 means Orulex support, I did not add that for several reasons (including overall addon complexity), though there's nothing stopping someone from developing a special Orulex file for use with the addon, if they wished.

I don't hate fsci123's addons, and (I hope) he doesn't hate mine. I just think, personally, that my method was better... of course, it has its flaws, like everything, and whether you like it or not is subjective.

And adapting textures is, I think, something that most planetbuilders do... I've done it, fsci has done it, other people have done it... I at least wouldn't like to admit it in my case, of course... but the fact is, that making realistic planet textures is hard.

Last edited:

Viper1

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While I agree with most of the postings about replacing default textures and the difficulty of developing your own system. Maybe we should point him to the numerous tutorials available and offer some guidance. He did after all put some work into it, how much work and forethought went into it, is another thing.
You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
But, that's just me. :(