Famous Space Quotes

Chipstone306

Reaction score
The thing I'll remember most about the flight is that it was fun. In fact, I'm sure it was the most fun that I'll ever have in my life.
— Sally K. Ride, first woman to orbit Earth aboard the Space Shuttle, 1983.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"T minus 1 minute, 35 seconds on the Apollo mission, the flight to land the first men on the Moon" - PAO, Apollo 11 liftoff

"We have a lift-off, 32 minutes past the hour. Lift-off on Apollo 11" - PAO, Apollo 11 liftoff (There's also some Shuttle mission that lifted off 32 minutes past the hour, where the PAO said nearly the same)

"We have a liftoff. We have a liftoff and it's lighting up the area, its just like daylight here at Kennedy Space Center as the Saturn V is moving off the pad. It has now cleared the tower." - PAO, Apollo 17 liftoff

"Okay, Houston. The Challenger has landed!" - Eugene Cernan, Apollo 17 LM liftoff

"I'm on the footpad. And, Houston, as I step off at the surface at Taurus-Littrow, we'd like to dedicate the first step of Apollo 17 to all those who made it possible." - Eugene Cernan, Apollo 17, first step

"And I'll read what that plaque says to you. First of all, it has a picture of the world. Two pictures. One of the North America and one of South America. The other covers the other half of the world including Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, covers the North Pole and the South Pole. In between these two hemispheres, we have a pictorial view of the Moon, a pictorial view of where all the Apollo landings have been made; so that when this plaque is seen again by others who come, they will know where it all started. The words are, "Here man completed his first exploration of the Moon, December 1972 A.D. May the spirit of peace in which we came be reflected in the lives of all mankind." It's signed, "Eugene A. Cernan, Ronald E. Evans, Harrison H. Schmitt, and most prominently, Richard M. Nixon, President of the United States of America." This is our commemoration that will be here until someone like us, until some of you who are out there, who are the promise of the future, come back to read it again and to further the exploration and the meaning of Apollo." - Eugene Cernan, Apollo 17 EVA-3 Close-out (Apollo 11 plaque reading is also great!)

"We're on our way, Houston!" - Eugene Cernan, Apollo 17 LM liftoff

"We have liftoff, liftoff of America’s first Space Shuttle, and the shuttle has cleared the tower." - PAO, STS-1 liftoff

"And liftoff of Space Shuttle Atlantis as Columbus sets sail on a voyage of science to the space station" - PAO, STS-122 liftoff

:hail::probe:

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
Hello Neil & Buzz, I'm talking to you by telephone from the Oval Office in the White House. And this certainly has to be the most historic call ever made. I just can't tell you how proud we all are. For every American this has to be the proudest in our lives, and for people all over the world. I'm sure they too join in recognizing what an immense feat this is. Because of what you have done, the heavens have become part of man's world..... ---President Nixon to Apollo 11 Astronauts.

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Godspeed, John Glenn
-Scott Carpenter, MA-6 CAPCOM

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I thought Al Shepard said that, but I could be wrong.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm going to omit the famous JFK sound bite, but later, at the end of the speech there is...

"Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked."

-JFK 1962

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
My favourite Alan Shepard quote just before he was launched into his 15 min sub-orbital hop:

"Dear God, please don't let me mess up"

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
My favourite Alan Shepard quote just before he was launched into his 15 min sub-orbital hop:

"Dear God, please don't let me mess up"

Except he didn't say it exactly like that :lol:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Except he didn't say it exactly like that :lol:

Ok, that's the polite version. Lets just say that in place of "mess up" he used rather more industrial language. :lol:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Hmm, now let's see...

"In order to discover new oceans, man must lose sight of the shore".

"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but mankind will not stay in that cradle forever".

And finally, the words that send a shiver down my spine every time I hear them - the words every astronaut longs to hear:
"All flight crew members, close and lock your visors and initiate O2 flow".

Last edited:

Wolfer

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Reaction score
"The rocket will free man from his remaining chains, the chains of gravity which still tie him to this planet. It will open him the gates to heaven."

Wernher von Braun

Unstung

Reaction score
UL12twobags-s.jpg

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"You must remember that compassion is a human thing, not a law of the Universe. If the air in this chamber can vent into space, it will do so no matter how hard you implore it not to."

--Someday I'll be famous! :D

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
"If you count the totals of expenses for all your launches, you realize we are shooting towns into the sky" -

1958, Konstatin Nikolaevich Rudnev, Chairman of State Committee for Defense Technologies, addressing Council of Chief Designers after numerous failures to send a working Lunar probe into space.