Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That is not a wide-ranging enough poll to adequately cover all possible responses. There are a great deal more vessels for Orbiter than those four.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
you really should either include a "other" option or list some other spacecraft, you don't even have SSU or the Shuttle fleet there

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
You could've just edited this one. And your new poll is no better, by the way.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
My favourite addon is whichever one I'm using be that Wideawake scenery, XR2, XR-5, UMMU or something smaller like an MFD. They are all excellent and I, for one, am greatful for the time the developers spend in putting them together.

That's also the reason I refuse to vote in polls like this.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yes indeed. Every addon is a representation of significant work, be it something simple like my MFD, or something as complicated as an XR or Wideawake itself. Making them work is a tremendous effort, making them work reliably and making them easy and fun to use is something else entirely. A vessel is much, much more than the mesh and textures and panels you see, it is a combination of all of those things glued together with lashings of C++ code, even those created with SpaceCraft 3 - simple meshes and textures mean nothing to Orbiter by themselves.

This is where I stop myself before this post devolves into a rant. But even the simplest vessel in Orbiter has some fairly complicated C++ code behind it. (I refer to the ShuttlePB, whose source code can be found in the SDK). MFDs are even more code-based, since everything you see in their display is drawn by the code behind it.

I don't profess to be very good at it myself, but there are those such as Artlav and dbeachy who are. And of course, Martin himself.

That was hardly relevant, looking back, but this is hardly a relevant thread anyway, so I think I'll leave that there.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes indeed. Every addon is a representation of significant work, be it something simple like my MFD, or something as complicated as an XR or Wideawake itself. Making them work is a tremendous effort, making them work reliably and making them easy and fun to use is something else entirely. A vessel is much, much more than the mesh and textures and panels you see, it is a combination of all of those things glued together with lashings of C++ code, even those created with SpaceCraft 3 - simple meshes and textures mean nothing to Orbiter by themselves.

This is where I stop myself before this post devolves into a rant. But even the simplest vessel in Orbiter has some fairly complicated C++ code behind it. (I refer to the ShuttlePB, whose source code can be found in the SDK). MFDs are even more code-based, since everything you see in their display is drawn by the code behind it.

I don't profess to be very good at it myself, but there are those such as Artlav and dbeachy who are. And of course, Martin himself.

That was hardly relevant, looking back, but this is hardly a relevant thread anyway, so I think I'll leave that there.
Well said, Xyon.

I'd like to add that an addon represents at least a few hours of devoted labour on the part of the developer, without pay or even promise of praise, thanks, etc. I haven't done it at all myself (yet), and I hardly have the experience to understand the science of addon-development, but I can and do appreciate the results. :cheers:

Double-rant!