Vessel Finishing what stevecast Started

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
RL issues are taking their toll. It was anticipated, that's why I worked 24/7 to get the other projects done. Alas never enough time, old projects are back on the shelf, new ones lie in the "stars". I hope in the near future things will look better.
The lifeboat was pretty much finished, only the rc setup for the SC3 version is incomplete, hope atleast to get that done soon.

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
On a related note, it looks like we'll soon be seeing a return to the Babylon 5 universe with the new animated installment The Road Home:

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing - just as I have done with my Star Trek systems, I have majorly updated my Babylon 5 systems to be more series-accurate and include new scenarios. Therefore, if you are reading this, Buck Rogers, you may want to download these updated versions. For the scenarios featuring add-ons currently awaiting release, I have employed an Aurora-type Starfury as a placeholder vessel.

While you're at it, what's your progress on the Nova-class and the lifeboat?

Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
So a quick update so you know where I'm at.
Now that I'm slowly getting back in the saddle I just had a look on the weekend at some of my old projects, and was pretty happy how they looked. I'm always hesitant to pick up an old project (I think it's the relearning what and why one did stuff!) and two projects stuck out that I would really like to finish; the Viking project and the lifeboat. The Viking project was so close yet so far, I lost all my work files and there was still two big issues to solve, but I think I can reimport everything, just have to find the time, motivation.
The lifeboat I put on hold because I thought about making a VC for it (with cameras,MFDs, etc.), but that would also be a large endeavour, it was otherwise finished (just have to package it) and can upload (if you could check/take care of the SC3 version (still needed?) that would be great).
And there was this, but that needs a whole lot of work!
0253.jpg
As you may know, I'm also working on some UACS stuff, the idea that we might get orbiter close back to to it's former glory makes me enthusiastic that we might have a renaissance coming! (my over optimistic self speaking), many have endeavoured in this direction and their efforts are highly appreciated, as well as the Arrow hacks, MFDs, but this could be the first true Universal system after Orbiter2010, and with Orbiter2024 around the corner, Gattispilot about to pulloff another masterpiece with Space1999 I see good things ahead and am giving this priority.
...And I'm still tinkering with the Solace Base and MMSEV projects.
I know it's the Nova class your really burning for, I remember I sent you a static version, didn't look too bad from a distance, wasn't that ok for screenshots? I remember the mesh was in a bad way and no joy to work with, maybe over time I can work on it.
And there's RL, which will also take out a few weeks soon, after that I hope to get one or two bigger projects done.
Of course if you have any suggestions for other/future projects I'd be happy to hear. What do you have planned ahead? (Hope you could get up to date with the lost data).

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
So a quick update so you know where I'm at.
Now that I'm slowly getting back in the saddle I just had a look on the weekend at some of my old projects, and was pretty happy how they looked. I'm always hesitant to pick up an old project (I think it's the relearning what and why one did stuff!) and two projects stuck out that I would really like to finish; the Viking project and the lifeboat. The Viking project was so close yet so far, I lost all my work files and there was still two big issues to solve, but I think I can reimport everything, just have to find the time, motivation.
The lifeboat I put on hold because I thought about making a VC for it (with cameras,MFDs, etc.), but that would also be a large endeavour, it was otherwise finished (just have to package it) and can upload (if you could check/take care of the SC3 version (still needed?) that would be great).
And there was this, but that needs a whole lot of work!
View attachment 36959
As you may know, I'm also working on some UACS stuff, the idea that we might get orbiter close back to to it's former glory makes me enthusiastic that we might have a renaissance coming! (my over optimistic self speaking), many have endeavoured in this direction and their efforts are highly appreciated, as well as the Arrow hacks, MFDs, but this could be the first true Universal system after Orbiter2010, and with Orbiter2024 around the corner, Gattispilot about to pulloff another masterpiece with Space1999 I see good things ahead and am giving this priority.
...And I'm still tinkering with the Solace Base and MMSEV projects.
I know it's the Nova class your really burning for, I remember I sent you a static version, didn't look too bad from a distance, wasn't that ok for screenshots? I remember the mesh was in a bad way and no joy to work with, maybe over time I can work on it.
And there's RL, which will also take out a few weeks soon, after that I hope to get one or two bigger projects done.
Of course if you have any suggestions for other/future projects I'd be happy to hear. What do you have planned ahead? (Hope you could get up to date with the lost data).
The ones that need to get done are listed on the first post. Those listed with a ☑️ symbol are those that are already completed. In particular, I would like to see you do the Minbari and Shadow vessels, since those races are terminally under-represented at the moment. The vessels in question shouldn't be too hard to do, as you can simply recycle most of their configuration files from the equivalent Narn, Centauri, or Vorlon vessels.

And yes, the Nova-class does look good enough for screenshots from a distance, although as you said you still need to patch up the mesh before you can release it.

Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
It's not the .cfgs I'm worried about;)
I found the Shadow Crab here, in the hangar to download, someone was too lazy to make a file structure but otherwise fully functional. I've renamed and reordered to fit with the rest and will include in the next upload.

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
It's not the .cfgs I'm worried about;)
I found the Shadow Crab here, in the hangar to download, someone was too lazy to make a file structure but otherwise fully functional. I've renamed and reordered to fit with the rest and will include in the next upload.
Perhaps you should take a screenshot of said Shadow vessel in orbit around Z'ha'dum. For said screenshot, I recommend using the Far IR celestial background.

By the way, is this the Shadow battle crab addon you're referring to? If it is, then I personally recommend using bcelestia's model instead, just so everything has a consistent look, and because the linked model is very old and possibly outdated. Plus bcelestia's version just looks better (or at least it does in the screenshots on Celestia Motherlode).

Please don't take this personally, I'm simply offering a recommendation.

Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
nice screenies, and nice systems (and good documentation), but you really need to include a default .scn with the DG, otherwise it's a bit of a killjoy.
Here's some more stuff to make more screenshots, if you make some nice .scn files etc. I'll pack and release:)
(we need extraterestrial terrain!)

Attachments

• MinbariBattleFleet.zip
    11.4 MB · Views: 4

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
nice screenies, and nice systems (and good documentation), but you really need to include a default .scn with the DG, otherwise it's a bit of a killjoy.
Here's some more stuff to make more screenshots, if you make some nice .scn files etc. I'll pack and release:)
(we need extraterestrial terrain!)
Excellent job there, but I think those vessels work better if you use spacecraft3, just for the sake of consistency.

Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Go for it, also screenshots, .scn files of the ships in their natural habitat (you know all the details), I added some limited information I researched but I'm sure you have a lot more knowledge for a .pdf, when your ready (no rush) I'll bundle & upload.
FYI I've tested the systems and these ships in OO24 and looking good! (could up poly/pixel count), especially the new cloud effects work well on the planets. I will avoid SC3/4 in the future, it hasn't been updated since before Orb2016, it's now way back compatibility.
0005.jpg

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Go for it, also screenshots, .scn files of the ships in their natural habitat (you know all the details), I added some limited information I researched but I'm sure you have a lot more knowledge for a .pdf, when your ready (no rush) I'll bundle & upload.
FYI I've tested the systems and these ships in OO24 and looking good! (could up poly/pixel count), especially the new cloud effects work well on the planets. I will avoid SC3/4 in the future, it hasn't been updated since before Orb2016, it's now way back compatibility.
View attachment 37035
Sorry to hear about the lack of backwards compatibility. With that in mind, you might as well officially release those Minbari vessels.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I do find that the little extras make a rounded package, and you have the knowledge base for that, I was hoping that if I do the 3d leg work and setup upon your request that you you would be happy to contribute.
I have no problem including SC4 .cfgs, as you said they are easy, if you wish to make them. For simple vessels like this there is no need (even without the broken functions), and a basic .cfg is compatible with all(?) Orb versions.

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
I do find that the little extras make a rounded package, and you have the knowledge base for that, I was hoping that if I do the 3d leg work and setup upon your request that you you would be happy to contribute.
I have no problem including SC4 .cfgs, as you said they are easy, if you wish to make them. For simple vessels like this there is no need (even without the broken functions), and a basic .cfg is compatible with all(?) Orb versions.
I could definitely do that. By the way, here's a screenshot of a Sharlin-class war cruiser above Minbar, with one of the planet's two moons visible:

Screenshot9.jpg

Oh, and another thing - if you want to make the larger vessels such as the above even somewhat maneuverable, you'll have to increase the altitude thrust level to a ridiculously high amount. Otherwise, it handles like a Bricklin SV-1. Specifically, something like this:

MaxAttitudeThrust = 33e9

Last edited:

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Oh, and another thing - seeing as the Morshin is intended as a carrier, you should include a few docking ports for the smaller vessels.

Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I ca take another look but I don't think the model is really layed out for that.

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Here's an upload of the spacecraft4 versions of the Minbari vessels, or at least my best attempts at such. I could maybe use a bit of help with regards to things like the landing points. These do not include the smaller craft, as those already have spacecraft3 versions (which can easily be reconfigured for spacecraft4) available for download.

Attachments

• MinbariBattleFleetSC4.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
By the way, when you get to doing those Shadow vessels, I'd like to take a screenshot of one in orbit above Z'ha'dum. Likewise, once you get to doing those four Narn vessels listed in the first post, I'd like to take some screenshots of the two space stations orbiting some of the other planets in the Narn system.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I don't think you need to convert SC3- 4, IIRC if SC4 is installed properly it should catch the others.
Tochdown points (+attach.) is sadlly the reason SC is out. I think you can use shipedit (comes with orbiter) bounding box to find the points, it's been a while, suggest checking the SC doc.