Vessel Finishing what stevecast Started

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
At some point, I feel it would be nice to see someone finish what stevecast started with regards to the various Babylon 5 vessels, as he disappeared from the Orbiter scene before completing his project, leaving numerous vessels like the Hyperion-class heavy cruiser and Nova-class dreadnought as well as most Minbari vessels and pretty much all Shadow vessels without a functional version for Orbiter. Most of the meshes he used are by bcelestia and can easily be found on the Celestia Motherlode: http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/fic_babylon5.html

Since I know virtually nothing about mesh-making, this is a task best suited to someone else. Also, stevecast used spacecraft3 for all of his add-ons, just in case any of you were wondering. By the way, here are the specific vessels that I would most like to see made available for Orbiter:

Nova-class Earth Alliance dreadnought
Hyperion-class Earth Alliance heavy cruiser (stevecast indicated at the time of his disappearance that he seemed to be having a few problems with the mesh)☑️
EAS Narcissus
EAS Tempest☑️
Monsoon
-class Earth Alliance assault gunboat
Olympus-class Earth Alliance corvette
Sagittarius-class Earth Alliance guided missile cruiser
Earth Alliance Shadow hybrid
Earth Alliance construction Starfury
Earth Alliance breaching pod
Shadow battle crab
Shadow scout
Shadow fighter
Shadow carrier
Shadow helix
Shadow looter
Tinashi-class Minbari frigate
Sharlin-class Minbari war cruiser
Troligan-class Minbari assault cruiser
Morshin-class Minbari carrier
Scarab-class Centauri transport
Balvarian-class Centauri carrier
Kutai-class Centauri gunship
Corvan-class Centauri scout
Corvan-class gunboat variant
Bin'Tak-class Narn dreadnought
Narn outpost
Narn military base
Drakh advanced cruiser
Vorlon freighter
Vorlon corvette
Vorlon destroyer
Psi Corps mothership
Technomage ship
Thirdspace capital ship
Thirdspace fighter
Soul Hunter scout
Triad vessel
Walkers of Sigma 957 vessel
Torvalus vessel
Krishiac Lord vessel
Mindrider vessel

(Those listed with a ☑️ symbol are those that are already completed.)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would also include the jump gates to the list. Not sure if we have any. Also those jump gates could be used as anchor for more dynamic scenarios, its its able to spawn vessels on an event.

And do we already have a White Star?

In terms of telling how those vessels should behave: I still have the minimal set of rulebooks of the Babylon 5 Wars tabletop around, including the Ships of the Fleet supplement with all canonized table-top data, which could be used as base there for Orbiter.

Sadly I started getting into it only months before Warner revoked the licence and during a time when my bank account was made of quantum foam, otherwise I would have ordered some more stuff during the final sale...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmmmm... do we have any automated 3ds to msh conversion tools? If yes, the meshes from celestia could be converted without any modeling experince (with the authors permissions, at least).
Orbiter implementation is probably best done with VesselBuilder these days. That's even easier to use than Spacecraft3.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hmmmm... do we have any automated 3ds to msh conversion tools? If yes, the meshes from celestia could be converted without any modeling experince (with the authors permissions, at least).
Orbiter implementation is probably best done with VesselBuilder these days. That's even easier to use than Spacecraft3.

I am not sure if automated would be the best option, but: It sure works well with Blender and Blender can be scripted, so it would be likely no big issue for somebody with the needed Python and Blender skills to provide a script to automatically process the files.

I wanted to build a B5WarsVessel once, but right now, anything like that is shoved back. My Nucleon framework has now priority zero, because I could build all other such generic sci-fi vessels on it. Not sure though, if it will be easier to use than Vesselbuilder, its a completely different approach and might require some change in thinking about add-ons.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Converting from 3ds can be challenging. Maybe cause I use Anim8or? But you get double sided materials,.... issues.

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Converting from 3ds can be challenging. Maybe cause I use Anim8or? But you get double sided materials,.... issues.
Yeah, stevecast indicated that he had problems getting the Hyperion-class mesh to display properly in Anim8or. Again, I know very little about mesh-making, so I have no idea what to do about that.

By the way, if you want to create scenarios featuring these vessels in their natural habitat, you can download my Epsilon Eridani, Centauri Prime, Narn Homeworld, Minbar, Z'ha'dum, and Vorlon Homeworld add-ons.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would be good to get the Hyperion class working, its pretty much the true workhorse of the Earth Alliance fleet.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I may regret it. But do we have a 3ds version on the Hyperion? I will give it a shot

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was able to load into Anim8or. But get out of memory bounds and error writing file when I export to .Msh.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess it is too large for Anim8or? I wonder what if it was made of a couple of meshes.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's probably the vertex indexing limit per group of 65535. Meaning you probably don't have to cut it into multiple meshes, but you might have to cut up the largest groups into multiple groups.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I'm trying to save some old projects with .3ds files without much luck, so this made me curious.
I've managed to import the Hyperion into Blender, and the mesh is clean (far better than any of my salvage attempts!), normals look good too. BUT, all smoothing is gone, replaced with multiple vertices, materials and even UV maps are there but texture links are broken, also the mesh is broken up into hundreds of objects, and of course orientation, origin, and scaling problems.
Doable, and the mesh detail is very good, and with extra bump/ light maps, animations, etc... could look very nice, but a lot of work!
@gattispilot: What do you get by import? Or is it even worse?
After initial tinkering ( deleted dupl. vert. and some texture linking) direct export to orbiter:
0226.jpg
(of course it doesn't look like this in Blender, wrong origin problems)
@gattispilot: If it looks even worse your end I might take this on ( I know you've got alot of other projects going)
@Luke Reichelt: sent you a PM.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks exactly like what happens when you have too many vertices in a group...

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
That causes the strange warping, things in the wrong place is the origins. It'l need a rework from front to back ( bow to stern!).

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got it to work. I imported into anim8or. Just split the mesh into 6 meshes. Loaded Vesselbuilder and add the 6 meshes in. Might need to reorient

Attachments

• hyperionext.jpg
    hyperionext.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 4
  • importhyper.jpg
    importhyper.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 4
  • eahyperion.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 4

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
I got it to work. I imported into anim8or. Just split the mesh into 6 meshes. Loaded Vesselbuilder and add the 6 meshes in. Might need to reorient
Remember, I use Orbiter 2010, with which Vessel Builder does not function. Plus, I think it's best to wait until Buck Rogers is finished refining the mesh on his own.