TransX First (painful) steps with the TransX

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie so maybe the answer I'm searching is just trivial.
I've started using TransX looking at a couple tutorial/manual around.
I was trying to calculate a Escape from Earth+Mars trajectory.
My troubles are just at the beginning when trying to define a decent ejection plan.
I took a window around april 2017 or, in any case, an opportune time. I've tried several prograde dV (from 2700 to 3700) and moved forward and backward the ejection date but I'm not able to find out any pair of values that would offer a minimum proximity less than 500M... which is a LOT.
Do any of you have suggestion about what could be wrong in my attempt?

I'm using a XR2, orbiter 2016 and... I suspect this could be part of the problem... I'm not sure which version of TransX. (Maybe I just answered myself with this last comment)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There are some tutorials available on youtube that will be of an enourmous help.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgGasdG-zFA"]Orbiter 2010 - Earth to Mars using TransX - YouTube[/ame]

David "Blixel" (here on the forum) is a very good stick, and all his tutorials are very well put together.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
This is the one you need:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6393"]TransX 2016.04.04 MMExt for Orbiter 2016[/ame]

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Try going from the Moon to the Earth, that is the easiest.

All you do is select escape, fwd, vw, then add about 800 points of retrograde, bck, adjust pe distance to 1.758M (I think that is 20km), var, adjust ej orientation so the line is centered with the green line. Then take off from the heading which is displayed into a 20km orbit and wait until it is time to do the main burn to Earth.

Sometimes with travelling other planets, it is hard to get a close encounter, I sometimes take off anyway with closest I can get then adjust in flight.

Last edited:

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
Thank you all guys!
I guess it's both matter of studying a bit and upgrade my installation with the proper TransX version

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
1. Have a look a my short description:
http://www.orbitermars.co.uk/TransX_desc.PDF

2. If you dont come closer to the target, it might be because your parking orbit's inclination does not meet the targets inclination. Have a look on the Orbiter scenario Challenges/Challenge 2 Lunar transfer.

Thankyou. It was probably the cause.
Actually I managed to improve a lot installing the correct and more new version of transX.
Now prediction in the ejection plan is quite correct but still manouver sucks. I guess you are right about my orientation but I didn't really understand how to improve it.