First Qantas Boeing 707 Returning Home

Moonwalker

Reaction score
No news, but still nice to watch. This is the story of the first Qantas Boeing 707, the "City of Canberra", which was restored and returned home from England to Australia in 2006, 47 years after its first flight. It is probably the oldest 707 (and so the oldest civil Boeing jet airplane) which still took off in 2006 once again to take its final flight. Todays still flying 707's are much younger.

Enjoy

Part1: http://www.airlinetv.net/view_video.php?viewkey=88a51f6ca8cfc1ac79b5

Part2: http://www.airlinetv.net/view_video.php?viewkey=13cf5eaa496d51fea640

Part3: http://www.airlinetv.net/view_video.php?viewkey=918a4aa29be29d2c386f

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Saw that plane about a week after it landed. It should be in my Holiday photo gallery

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The old jetliners have so much character. Today's jets all look the same, and they all have 2 engines, how boring. All optimized for max efficiency as jetliner aerodynamics technology has matured. Give me a 707 or a DC-8 any day. Or a 727, what a cool-looking jet. How about a Convair 880, even.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
There are probably a few old 707s still plying backwater routes in Africa or Asia. And don't forget that the KC-135s still in service as tankers with the USAF and others is basically the 707.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
According to wikipedia, the KC-135's are actually Boeing 717, which was a designation used to describe that variant of the 707 among the company people, but was not publicized.

When Boeing merged with McDonnel Douglas they inherited the old Douglas DC-9, and they named that the 717, and there are still many of those flying.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
The old jetliners have so much character. Today's jets all look the same, and they all have 2 engines, how boring. All optimized for max efficiency as jetliner aerodynamics technology has matured. Give me a 707 or a DC-8 any day. Or a 727, what a cool-looking jet. How about a Convair 880, even.

That's 100% what I think about it too. The 707 and the following 727 and 737 models (the first series - 737-100 & 200) have so much character like no other todays Boeing and Airbus airplane. And not to mention especially the ugly looking A380, but also Airbus airplanes on the whole, which have no character at all from the beginning.

But it's nice to see at least a part of the 707 fuselage still in production: the nose section, including the cockpit windows. It's still almost the same on any new Boeing 737 model.

This is the first 737 generation. I just love its design:

Boeing_737_NASA_GPN-2000-001905.jpg

-----Post Added-----

According to wikipedia, the KC-135's are actually Boeing 717, which was a designation used to describe that variant of the 707 among the company people, but was not publicized.

When Boeing merged with McDonnel Douglas they inherited the old Douglas DC-9, and they named that the 717, and there are still many of those flying.

Yes. And the 717 production ended only 2 years ago. But I don't like those models anyway, like a lot of customers obviously too. Only 155 717's have been built between 1998 and 2006.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Considering how old the DC-9 family is, it's amazing that Boeing was able to sell so many.

Many 727's are still flying, and last time I looked UPS was still flying many of Delta's old DC-8's as freighters. I loved flying in DC-8's when I was younger. The DC-8 has a very flexible structure, and in any kind of turbulence the wings flap up and down the engines swing from side to side, which scared some people, but had me with my nose glued to the window with a big grin on my face. It's also a beautiful bird, with that 1960s look to it, especially if you find one with the old thin turbojet engines.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, look at Travolta's house! A "carport" for his very own 707 and another for his "compact" plane, a Gulfstream IV? Must be nice to be filthy rich. Imagine what it costs just to take a 707 out for a spin. What would you do with that much jet? I bet those old school turbojets are noisy as hell, too, make sure the neighbors know you're heading out!

-----Post Added-----

Speaking of 707's, here's Boeing test pilot Tex Johnson rolling one in a demo flight back in the day. He got yelled at for this, but he sold some airplanes that day!

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Had my very first "powered" flight in a DC-9-32. My first and only long range flight was on a Canadian Airlines DC-10-30ER back in 1994 on a trip to Canada. Love both planes to this day. Especially the mighty "three-holer", had been my favourite airliner as long as I can remember. I managed to pay a visit to the cockpit crew on all flights, and what can I say, the side windows on the 10 are huuuge, fantastic view from the jump seat behind the captain! Will never forget that. :speakcool:

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
I love the classic propliners that coexisted with the early jet age....

Moonwalker

Reaction score
...I bet those old school turbojets are noisy as hell, too, make sure the neighbors know you're heading out!

You are rather right on that. And there was already trouble between Travolta and his neighbours, because he loves to do some training and to fly traffic circuits above his own small airport. And honestly, I can understand him. How the hell does it feel if you wake up in the morning, look outside the window and realize: boy, there is a 707 standing just in front of my home :lol:

http://www.jumbolair.com/Architectual%20Digest.htm

And by the way, while we talk about Travolta, something is missing in the video I posted above. I found it on youtube. Enjoy once again...

PS: And this is how an airplane has to sound (and smoke) like...