Flaming Brick Status: DROPPPED

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
Right, into business. Given the recent release of the XR2 i've started playing around in orbiter again, ang over the last few days two awesome things happened.

One.
XR-2 Ravenstar takes off from my base in WA, barely uses the scram jets during ascent and runs out off fuel while attempting to dock with an orbital tanker. The crew cunninglly re-route RCS fuel to the tanks and manage a deorbit burn aligned with their launch site. They re-enter. The ship grossly over shoots the base, missing Australia completely, struggling to avoid burning up along the way.
At which time the flight crew atempt to around to face the REAC. Disaster. Right wing is severly damaged, there is no RCS or main fuel remaining and the Ravenstar is spinning at subsonic speeds, no chance to use the SCRAM jets to level off, or even be controlable enought to ditch. So.... Manual bailout, took a lot of effort but the airspeed was finally brought down enough to allow escape. Flight crew manages to bailout at ~2.5km, XR2 impacts the ocean at 171mss-1, somewhere to the northeast of indoneasia.
Nice simulated drama, and highly entertaining

Two.
Today, after 3 years of orbiteering i managed a fly from REAC in WA, into orbit, align, sync and dock with a Jumbo tanker ship i'd launched arlier on a nova SSTO. All without cheating with the scenario editor or a DGIV autopilot. This only a few days after my first re-entry to a target base. The best part was, both times i'd flown a ravenstar, and that means it was significantly harder to fly about.

Thankyou for a great ship Dan, can't wait for the repaint kit to come out.

At which point REDACs fleet will expand:
DGIV GL-RE01 'Sandgroper'
XR2 XR-RE01 'Banana Bender'
XR5 XR-RE02 'Flaming Brick'
and i'll finally start work on that orbital base....

Sorry for rambling a bit, but comeone, 3yrs and i finally hit an orbital target? I think i deserve a beer... :cheers: