General Question Flickering and Squares (two questions about textures)

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi all,

it seems to be a features of the Orbiter engine since it appears both with original DX7 (orbiter.exe) and external graphics client with DX9 (orbiter_ng.exe), but still I want to ask, maybe there is any way to remove or at least reduce texture flickering at small angles while moving:

4.png
3.png

I found that using lower texture bias partially reduces these flickering, but it also reduces the image quality, thus I use mean value for the best balance:

5.png

Besides, maybe there is any way to remove or blur the boundaries of texture squares (or even delete these high resolution texture squares) (for example, for Baikonur) which appear after installation Earth high resolution textures:

1.png2.png
Of course, all this is not ctical and not so important, but I wanted to ask :)

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The flickering is due to lack of mipmaps. Currently mipmaps are auto generated during runtime for surface tile levels 1 - 8 but not for a high resolution tiles. That's because a surface tile load times would increase a lot mostly because the mipmaps needs to be compressed after creation.

Most practical solution would be a patch utility that would process and add the mipmaps to the entire surface tile database. But, the process could take many hours to run.