Advanced Question Flying from the Moon to an Earth's Orbiting Station

The Aviator

Reaction score
Problem: I'm on the Moon and I want to return to Earth stopping on a station first. I tried it using IMFD v5.1m, Planet Approach mode and Orbit Eject. But when I perform the orbital insertion, I realize that the height is right, the inclination is right, but my orbit is delayed from station's orbit. The solution should be to select a pre-calculated arrival date that I know the station's is in the right place, but how to calculate it? Is anyone able to help me? Thanks in advance!:)

Tommy

Reaction score
Here's a quick way to find a PeT for the Planet Approach program. There's more to getting a good sync, perhaps that's a good topic for my next tutorial.

Before Ejecting from the moon (can be done before takeoff from moon's surface) set up the Planet Approach program like you have before. Then check IMFD's Map program (showing the planned course). Make sure the display is showing your your Pe for earth. Should already be showing that. At the bottom it shows the Latitude and Longitude of your planned Pe.

Open OrbitMFD, reference Earth, target ISS. Check the ISS's orbital period (displayed as T). Should be around 5.498k. Optimal flight time for TEI is 469.2K. The ISS will orbit 85.43 times in that span. To allow time for launch and reaching ejection point, I'll use a timeframe of 87 orbits, which is 478.3k.

Open MapMFD, reference earth, target ISS. When the ISS reaches the longitude of your Pe (helps to use time decel), set your PeT in Planet Approach to 478.3k. That should place the ISS near your Pe when you get there.

Once you get within earth's SOI, you can use Sync Orbit MFD (use Ship Pe mode) to tune your arrival, but SyncOrbit isn't very accurate until you get fairly close. I believe it makes it's calculations based on current velocity, or just isn't accurate with a highly eccentric orbit. If you try to adjust your sync too soon, it will cause you problems. Generally speaking, if the Dwell time is decreasing don't make any adjustment until it starts increasing.

You also need to "lead" the ISS slightly since you have a large relative velocity, and it will take a while to eliminate that. If you don't "lead" the ISS a bit, you'll end up behind it.

I'll try to find time to work on the details during the next week or so, but this may help you get started.