General Question FoV

ARMSTRONG

God of the Space
Reaction score
Hi to everyone and sorry for my english. I would like to know if someone can give me info about the best way to put the FoV to the most realistic grades.

Actually I usually put it in 60º because theorically I think that we can say that each eye have more or less 30º of view. And well 30º plus 30º make me put 60º.

However, I just to read "Lost Moon" and I've read something that called my atention. In some page, (page 318), is descrived that the Moon, around 74.000 Km of distance, can enter more or less in the left triangle window from the Lunar Module. But with a FoV of 60º this is hard to see at the simulation.

I know that all this is silly, but I really want an accurated simulation and I would like to know if someone can indicate me a better and more realistic FoV than 60º.

Probably I could change the FoV at 74.000km of distance from the Moon to reach the description. Yes is true, but I would like to know details about the FoV from other points of view, and only if is possible, I would like to know if the "Lost Moon" info is correct.

Actually I use NASSP 6 and I would prepare all for NASSP 7 for the best experience. Because Orbiter, to me, represent, all I can to do to go to the Moon in this life with the Saturn V and the Apollo.

By the way, some user that I met of the Beta NASSP 7 said me some time ago that some times, the Checklist of the Beta NASSP 7 indicates some FoV configurations. I know this. For that reason my question speaks about what could be the best FoV configuration when you are not working in some Checklist. The best configuration when, for example, you are in your seat, eating chocolate and seeing the Moon through the window, close to that window, but not so close to it to be working front of the controls. ^^

I repeat sorry for my english, and be patience with me. I know that this question sound silly, but I really want to be there all that I can. Thanks for your time and have fun with Orbiter.

Last edited:

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
That depends on what you call "realistic". If you mean "undistorted perspective/object sizes", then it is FOV = 2*(arctan(d/L/2)), where d is physical diagonal of Orbiter viewport on screen (monitor diagonal if running full screen), L is your typical distance between eyes and display. It's not the most comfortable view, though, as it'd be very narrow most likely.

ARMSTRONG

God of the Space
Reaction score
Thankkss a lot, I think that is enough to me. I will calculate all and I will see the results in my next apollo mission. Thank you very much. XDDD

To the rest of the people, if you have other opinions and advices please share with us. All info is welcome.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
attachment.php

Here's an old pic I made for someone with the same question a while back.

Another way to do it would be to just press FOV +/- until the moon looks the same size from earth as it does out the window. for my screen 20 degrees looks pretty good.

As for realism, I usually only use such a "true-to-live" FOV when I wonder..."what size would the Earth be out the window" or "How big would Jupiter look from there"

For me the lack of peripheral vision is less realistic unless the astronauts were wearing horse blinders. That's just my opinion though :lol:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The situation descibed by your first post is not the issue of FOV, but perspective.
Indeed, you need to get your eyes exactly in the same position and orientation the astronaut had when he described the scene, because otherwise the Moon will not "go" inside that triangle.

Now I use myself a FOV between 45 and 60°, because I feel the most comfortable with.

ARMSTRONG

God of the Space
Reaction score
The situation descibed by your first post is not the issue of FOV, but perspective.
Indeed, you need to get your eyes exactly in the same position and orientation the astronaut had when he described the scene, because otherwise the Moon will not "go" inside that triangle.

Now I use myself a FOV between 45 and 60°, because I feel the most comfortable with.

Of course, is true, depend of the perspective of Lovell, but probably he was close to that window, the lunar module is very small, in addition in that point Jack Swigert was there too. No options to be so far from the windows. In any case thanks for give your opinion XD

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Here's an old pic I made for someone with the same question a while back.

Another way to do it would be to just press FOV +/- until the moon looks the same size from earth as it does out the window. for my screen 20 degrees looks pretty good.

As for realism, I usually only use such a "true-to-live" FOV when I wonder..."what size would the Earth be out the window" or "How big would Jupiter look from there"

For me the lack of peripheral vision is less realistic unless the astronauts were wearing horse blinders. That's just my opinion though :lol:

Sound prety nice that solution, but, I think that this solution wont be enought with Orbiter, because, fix me if I wrong, the atmosphere from the Orbiter's Earth don't works like a magnifying glass. I mean, if you do that, you will see the Moon from earth with the correct proportions but, inmediatly, you'll see the moon too big out of the "magnifying glass". In any case, that info is good to simulate more or less the magnifying glass from earth. XDD

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the atmosphere does magnify the moon as you say...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It does a little, but the zooming our eyes do on focused objects plays a far bigger roll.

malisle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I usually use virtual cockpit to tune FOV. I change it until what I see on the monitor is roughly the same to what I would expect to see if I was really sitting there. It usually ends up between 45° - 50° , depending on the addon.