Problem From ground to lightspeed bug

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
I have Orbiter 2006, and I've noticed a strange bug in the game. When I'm motionless on the ground in any kind of ship, even ones with no engines, and I choose to fast-forward 1000x or more, I instantly find myself spinning around in deep space at incredable speed. Why does this happen, how does this happen, and is it fixed in Orbiter 2010?

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Its a ground collision bug. What happened is your ship transitioned away from its landed state to a flying state and collided with the ground, normally, depending upon the speed of the impact you would either switch back to the landed state or do a tiny bounce or slide.

But because of time compression the tiny microsecond movement was interpreted as lasting several seconds giving insane collision speeds and bouncing you off into space and possibly enough to throw you several AU from the sun or even give you a bad(not a number) location.

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
It doesn't happen as often with wheeled ships as it does with capsules and anything that crashes into the ground.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is not a bug.

Orbiter was designed to instill the virtues of patience and tenacity in orbiternauts everywhere. Hitting 'T' several times while on the ground is a sign of impatience, and will be treated as such by launching the offending spacecraft into the bowels of the Milky Way.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is not a bug.

Orbiter was designed to instill the virtues of patience and tenacity in orbiternauts everywhere. Hitting 'T' several times while on the ground is a sign of impatience, and will be treated as such by launching the offending spacecraft into the bowels of the Milky Way.
Sometimes true, but I've had instances where I've needed to wait days or weeks for a launch window. I am a very patient person. I have lots of music in my sound folder to listen to. But I am NOT going to sit around for weeks waiting for a launch window!! :lol:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Change the date in the scenario editor

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Its a ground collision bug. What happened is your ship transitioned away from its landed state to a flying state and collided with the ground, normally, depending upon the speed of the impact you would either switch back to the landed state or do a tiny bounce or slide.

But because of time compression the tiny microsecond movement was interpreted as lasting several seconds giving insane collision speeds and bouncing you off into space and possibly enough to throw you several AU from the sun or even give you a bad(not a number) location.

A bug? I thought it was an attempt to simulate the Infinite Improbability Drive. :stirpot: