Question From Moon to Earth and Back

superfofis

Reaction score
Hello!

Here is a thought experiment. Imagine instead of earthbound, human race were moonbound for some reason. And their first space mission would be leaving Brighton Beach, land on Cape Canaveral, get some samples and head back to Birghton Beach to be received as heroes.

What kind of ship, technology, method or process could be used to make this quest work? Assuming current technology availability.

Thanks to all, hope to see some crazy ideas to build crazy scenarios!

Marijn

Reaction score
A big worry for them would probably be, I think, the O2 in our atmosphere. O2 is very acid. So they would need to develop a technology to protect their spaceships and suits from corrosion.

Also, our gravity might me somewhat overwhelming to them.

And they will see a blue sky for the first time. Thay may be quite impressive to them. Not sure if they would need sunglasses and sunscreen as they are quite used to cosmic rays already. Perhaps earth's magnetic field may disorient them.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Flying a ship in an atmosphere would be something entirely new to them. Nobody has ever done such a thing before. Their aerodynamics didn't develop from a simple glider to a Space-Shuttle like ours. They need to do it first-time-right. Quite a challange I would say.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Is earth inhabited by humans? If so, they risk being taken as a sample instead of returning samples home. If not, they need either a creative geologist/historian/priest to explain the existance of the runways at Cape Canaveral. I assume you intend to use them.

superfofis

Reaction score
Well, i think i left the idea too open. :lol:

It could be something like this: mankind is currently living on the moon since earth is in ruins/taken by nature. They have resources and today's technology.

They plan an exploratory mission to earth and back, maybe to collect samples in person by the astronauts.

So, what kind of "ship stack" or mission plan could work? How many stages?

I think thats it! Thanks for the answer!