Question "From the Earth to The Moon" an AMSO 1.17 Apollo 11 Full Mission Tutorial Using IMFD

edition23

Reaction score
"From the Earth to The Moon" an AMSO 1.17 Apollo 11 Full Mission Tutorial Using IMFD

I'm using amso. I'm trying to get to the moon on Apollo 11 by the flight plan using this tutorial. http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1303 I'm still new to the IMFD. I'm stuck on Part 5 Apollo 11 Mid Course Corrections. On STEP 5. Set the dV to Zero "0" I can't find "dv". I only see dvf, dvp and dvi. How do I set IMFD for a mid course correction?

pburt68

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
reply to ur question...

This I am not 100% sure about but from my experience using the Tutorial you are talking about, I believe you are supposed to use dvf on the MFD display. When I do this flight, I always use dvF and it always works. Try that. Goodluck!!!:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

P.S. You may have to do a couple mid course corrections throughout your flight, but what I said above should work. When doing your mid course corrections, MAKE SURE YOU ARE OUT OF THE EARTH'S SPHERE OF INFLUENCE (SOI). You can see this on the map mfd of the tutorial. The Moon's SOI and the Earth's SOI are represented on the map by the dotted gray circle around each of the two celestial bodies.:)

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

You also cannot be in the moon's spere of influence when doing MCCs

edition23

Reaction score
thanks.

Thanks. This helped. I got it right on the money. Now that I know what to do I probably should go back and read the IMFD manual so I know what the hell it means. Next stop: LOI :thumbup:

pburt68

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Good Luck on Your Mission

No Prob. I did this tutorial for myself and the first time I did it I got so ticked off because I couldn't figure stuff out all through it. Now, If I see someone else using the same tutorial, I try my best to help as much as I can, because I know how it feels to go all the way through the flight and then get stuck somewhere and screw something up. Goodluck! Hope you land it! (Tip of Advice: Save ur game every couple hours or so. If something crashes you'll thank yourself):thumbup:

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

If you come across any other problems in the tutorial just post here, and I'll try my best to help if possible. I can tell you for a fact that the end of that tutorial (the reentry/splashdown procedure) was very confusing. It took me many many many times to figure that one out. To be truthful, I still can't do it without passing the earth.

edition23

Reaction score
Question about TLI again.

:tiphat:After you told me to use dvf, I got the TLI right on. I started from the part4 of the as-506 scenario (Where you just get in to earth's orbit.) but I barley had the two imfds' set up in time. I decided I wanted to start from the very beginning so I started from the launch pad. I'm using amso extension sound pack so I just push 'J' key after 30 sec and everything else is automatic. I'm not sure if this is part of my problem.
My Problem: As the tutorial states at the beginning of Part 2 - Apollo 11 AS-506 Trans Lunar Insertion (TLI), I begin setting up my imfds' at GET 002:21:00.00. For the life of me I cant get all the numbers set in time now. At about GET 002:44:00.00. At least close to that. Even the couple of times I got it I still felt like I was racing the clock. Do I have to wait for GET 002:21:00.00 or should I set this up sooner. Also I'm using the set button to enter the values in the left imfd to get the approite values in the right IMFD to get as exact as possible. I'm guessing that's the only way but it is a bit of a guessing game. All in all, I'm just wondering how you do it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited:

edition23

Reaction score
finally..

finally got it. I landed on the moon and got me some moon rocks! I docked with the csm and all this from scratch. Getting back to earth is my next step. I've always loved flight sims with a high learning curve but I'm a newbie when it comes to orbiter and forums in general. Never had the luxury of a forum before. I'm still figuring it out. Any advice is appreciated.:thumbup:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
finally got it. I landed on the moon and got me some moon rocks! I docked with the csm and all this from scratch. Getting back to earth is my next step. I've always loved flight sims with a high learning curve but I'm a newbie when it comes to orbiter and forums in general. Never had the luxury of a forum before. I'm still figuring it out. Any advice is appreciated.:thumbup:

This forum is pretty straightforward. Read & abide by the forum rules and always remember to Hail the :probe: and you're set.

pburt68

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Goodluck with Reentry

Make sure you follow the flight plan very carefully. You must make sure you set the IMFD according to the flight plan, or else you will not reenter on the right angle of attack, and in some cases you may not even hit the atmosphere. It took me a lot of practice to figure out the IMFD stuff with this flight plan. It's kinda confusing when it comes to reentry. To be truthful, I've never really done a perfect reentry before and land where I set my lat/lon at on earth. I've always landed somewhat off target.

edition23

Reaction score
Back to the Drawing Board

Thanks folks. I'm back to the drawing board. I didn't have enough fuel to make my TEI. At least so I think. I'm going to give it another go tonight from the very beginning. I know it's another suicide mission but this TEI is the next thing I have to understand.

ps. what's an "odd course" correction? :probe:

Revolpathon

Reaction score
i suspect it was written in the way off " you may have to make an odd course correction or two" or something similar to that, basicly it tells you to you may have to make a course correction while doing the TEI.

if it's not written like that than forget this post :p been a while since i tried following that tutorial, never finished the flight, never had enough fuel left so i crashed full on into the moon (at least i got where i wanted to end up :) )

edition23

Reaction score
not enough fuel to get home and should the PeA for LOI be 80km or 110km?

Yeah I took a break from this tutorial for awhile. I'm ready to give it another shot. I never seemed to have enough fuel to do the TEI either. What's with that? Where am i wasting fuel? And yes, Revolpathon "odd course correction" was written in that context, though its been since my last post since I've looked at the tutorial. I thought maybe refreshing my mind might help.
One thing I was confused about is at part 5 is says to make the correction burn so the PeA for the moon is 80km, but at part 16 where it says, "You also need to:" it says your PeA for the moon should have been 110km. I've always entered moon's orbit at 80km. I think 110km was the actual PeA of Apollo 11 but I could be wrong. Maybe this has something to do with my fuel problems. Maybe not. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Revolpathon

Reaction score
you could orbit the moon at an altitude of only 20 meters (though you might have to raise it for a couple of mountains here and there :p )

the fuel usage difference for a 110 km altitude orbit and an 80 km one isn't big enough to cause too much fuel loss to make the TEI impossible, it is only a tap with the translations thrusters to go from 110 apoapsis to one that's at 80 (correct me if i'm wrong though since i'm still a newbie here)

i suspect though that you would loose too much fuel while establishing your orbit around the moon, if you burn main engine's in retrograde too soon you burn more fuel in the end to get a nice orbit with an ECC of less than 0.010 (my goal is to zero it out).

edition23

Reaction score
Not enough gas to get home

so I went through this tutorial all over again. I can land on the moon and get back to the csm. After that my fuel gauge reads 29.5. I set up my MFDs as described in A1. Trans Earth Injection Burn Using Base Approach. My oV was at 1.030k. I just run out of gas and I'm left floating around the moon. I do use most of my fuel on the LOI but I'm going by exactly the way the tutorial says using the IMFD. This part all seems self working. Should I just do it manualy and burn retrograde at LOS? How much fuel should I have when I'm ready for TEI? Thanks for any advice.

Tommy

Reaction score
The IMFD Full Manual includes a tutorial (PDF and annotated flight recording using the XR-2) for performing a TEI with IMFD's Planet Approach (not Base Approach). This may help a bit.

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
First of all let me say I appreciate this tutorial and have printed it out so I can read as I go. Im following it exactly but keep running into instances that arent agreeing with whats on my IMFD's. Specifically part 2 step 29. When I set GET to 75:54:28 and enter, the value goes to 0. I can only adjust Tin. Next prob step 32 says to adjust Rad in LMFD to make Pea show 80k in RMFD. I adjust Rad but will not change Pea in RMFD at all. Next Prob step 33. Step up or down Rad in LMFD make "Eql" 180 in RMFD. I cannot fine "Eql" anywhere in RMFD. Hope Im not being to stupid.

Last edited:

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
I am revitalizing the tutorial

Hi guys,

I am the author of the tutorial this thread is referring to and I'm afraid this is my fault. I have been away from these forums for some time and I have as of late been testing the read-ability of the tutorial. I am becoming aware that although at the time I was fully in understanding of what the tutorial was telling the reader what to do, it wasn't at many times very clear or accurate. I am sorry for that.

The good news, I will be refining it and making some changes and additions to it to clear up some of the questions that have been posed in these forums.

Thank you for your patience.

Adam (polarisTiberius)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
ohhh ok. it did have me confused a bit

HAIL FORSIT