FSX discussion

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
less evul, but its still up there on the evilometer:facts:

TerraMimic

Reaction score
All the talk of 'round the world flights got me thinking of a problem I've noticed in FSX. Making flights of any sort of appreciable distance seems to use far more fuel than I think it should.

For example: default 737, KEWR to KPBI uses over 70% of total fuel (filled to max at the gate just before pushback)

I even tried a flight from KLAX to YSSY in the default 747 with 100% fuel in all tanks and 1/4 the default weight in each of the passenger and cargo points. I ran out of gas about halfway there.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed fuel burn rates higher than normal?

communist

Resident Crazy Person
Reaction score
All the talk of 'round the world flights got me thinking of a problem I've noticed in FSX. Making flights of any sort of appreciable distance seems to use far more fuel than I think it should.

For example: default 737, KEWR to KPBI uses over 70% of total fuel (filled to max at the gate just before pushback)

I even tried a flight from KLAX to YSSY in the default 747 with 100% fuel in all tanks and 1/4 the default weight in each of the passenger and cargo points. I ran out of gas about halfway there.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed fuel burn rates higher than normal?
what altitude and speed were you going at?

TerraMimic

Reaction score
I don't recall the exact numbers, but they were the one's I found when I did a search for cruising speed and altitude for both aircraft. I figured those values should be close enough for FSX to at least approximate the right fuel consumption. The speed (IAS) and altitude were dialed in on the autopilot.

communist

Resident Crazy Person
Reaction score
I don't recall the exact numbers, but they were the one's I found when I did a search for cruising speed and altitude for both aircraft. I figured those values should be close enough for FSX to at least approximate the right fuel consumption. The speed (IAS) and altitude were dialed in on the autopilot.
ok,if you start to get light on load,climb higher

TerraMimic

Reaction score
ok,if you start to get light on load,climb higher

I did that on the 747 flight, and the plane wouldn't keep the nose level and the autopilot increased the throttle to compensate resulting in higher fuel consumption.

And it still doesn't explain why the 737 is burning so much fuel. KEWR to KPBI is maybe a third of the range of a fully loaded bird and it still burns at least 70% fuel.

Ark

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a decent pack of bush flying missions for FSX? I'm starting to get bored.

I've been looking around for some, but it's getting hard sorting through all the payware people want to sell me. What is this, Railworks? :rolleyes:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Does anyone have a nice little run for a Cessna 172?
It doesn't necessarily be easy or difficult, but something different would be nice.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
try a VFR low-level flight from Eagle-Vail county to D.I.A follow I-70 if you can

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
How low is "low-level" to you then? What are the ID's for the airports?

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
no prob, just follow I-70 (it runs right by the airport and right into denver, you should see the airport by then)...however, you might loose it due to the Eisenhower Tunnel

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
I like doing random stuff with the F/A-18.

Like vertical holding patterns... man, that bird can do anything...

Last edited:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Might not be weak sauce, but here's a good short hop if you're into flying over rivers:

KSTP (Downtown St. Paul / Holman Field) to KONA (Winona Municipal).

Challenge is to avoid the Minneapolis Class B airspace (2,300 ft. deck) immediately upon takeoff. Outside of that . . . ignore the bird. Follow the river. :)