Fun Forum

elephantium

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks, and I decided that it was time to register myself an account. Someone mentioned Orbiter on another forum I frequent, so I downloaded it a couple of months ago. Once I finally got around to starting it up a couple of weeks ago, I found this site in my search for some tutorials (Learning curve? Learning cliff!).

So far, I've managed to cover some of the basics in the Delta Glider (why does that name make me think of Star Trek: Voyager?): Liftoff, rendezvous with the ISS, transfer to Mir, and (finally!) re-entry. I've gotten the glider into a Moon orbit, but I haven't had any luck getting home again ... yet.

All in all, Orbiter really makes me want to set up a simulated space program: Add in today's spacecraft like Dragon, H-II, Soyuz, etc, then fire off station-building missions to get a new station built in a higher orbit than the ISS (MEO or maybe geosynchronous). From there, run more missions to stock this Station 2 as a fuel dump, and repeat the process for a Moon base and a Mars mission.

I just saw a story about the newly-discovered Earth Trojans; building a base there would be a fun set of Orbiter missions, too! :)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

If you are tooling around in the stock Delta Glider, you may be in for a rough time. If you haven't already, get the DG-IV or maybe even the XR-1. You can find them here...
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d
http://www.alteaaerospace.com/index-3.html
The built-in autopilots available for each craft make them much easier to re-enter. Both craft are pretty much the same in outward appearance, but the "handling" is different. It's hard for me to explain over a keyboard, so get both!
Happy Orbiting!

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum. I promise we don't bite (at least no that much).

elephantium

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcoming chorus, mates!

TSPenguin: Got it in one :)

PhantomCruiser: Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup: I did finally manage a re-entry in the stock Delta Glider, but it didn't come easily. I've downloaded the DG IV, but I haven't done much with it yet.

DanM: I HOPE you don't bite here! I get enough of that at home, thankyouverymuch.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Welcome to Orbiter and the forum! Also, congrats on your success in Orbiter thus far, you're making big strides. :thumbup:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums! Don't hesitate to ask questions, as I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses :thumbup:

elephantium

Reaction score
Thanks again for the warm welcome, everyone :D

More recently, I've been following the tutorials in the "Go Play In Space" PDF, but I notice that it's written against Orbiter 2006. Is there a newer version somewhere? Failing that, is a newer version planned?