Humor Funniest Orbiter moments (with screenies, if possible) :D

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here you can post about your FUNNIEST:rofl:things that occured while you were playing Orbiter:lol::)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
DG slingshot around Jupiter straight back to Earth is ludicrous speed, basically falling straight towards the Sun. When I got to Earth I tried to aerobrake. I was going so fast that even at low altitude upside down pulling the stick all the way back I couldn't hang onto the planet. I forget the velocity and the G's but they were both insane and would've destroyed any real craft and its crew in an instant.

When I popped up out of the atmosphere I was still moving away from Earth at insane speeds. The quarter tank or so of propellant I had in my tanks was worthless to change THAT velocity vector. So off I sailed into deep space...

Jupiter is cool.

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
LOL :thumbup::rofl:
I had this moment when I was reentering insanely fast with the Atlantis shuttle;you know just like a comet;and suddenly..............
KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWMMMMMM!!!!!:rofl:
And all that was left of my faithful ship was a whole lot of small burning meteors slamming into the ocean at hypersonic speeds:lol:
P.S I was using an EVIL addon from that EVIL place called OrbitHangar:rofl:

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

So off I sailed into deep space...
What a happy ending:lol::thumbup:finally sent my sleeping shark 2 bed:rofl:
Anyways, what was it like in deep space?:tiphat::)

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
DG slingshot around Jupiter straight back to Earth is ludicrous speed, basically falling straight towards the Sun. When I got to Earth I tried to aerobrake. I was going so fast that even at low altitude upside down pulling the stick all the way back I couldn't hang onto the planet. I forget the velocity and the G's but they were both insane and would've destroyed any real craft and its crew in an instant.

I think the Emergency Transfer Vehicle (ETV) that went from Jupiter to Earth in my Blog story about the Solar System Transport Vehicle 01 (SSTV-01) mission arrived at the Earth 16 days after Jupiter departure. It probably came in at a speed comparable to what you had. It had a 2.5 hour long burn of its 15 Experimental Hyper Engines to slow down into a nice 300 km orbit from which it then chased down the ISS. It had no cargo and no passengers (it's unmanned) so I don't how many G's it pulled, but it is a pure spacecraft, so no aerobraking is possible.

Dantassii

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the Emergency Transfer Vehicle (ETV) that went from Jupiter to Earth in my Blog story about the Solar System Transport Vehicle 01 (SSTV-01) mission arrived at the Earth 16 days after Jupiter departure. It probably came in at a speed comparable to what you had. It had a 2.5 hour long burn of its 15 Experimental Hyper Engines to slow down into a nice 300 km orbit

Dantassii
:lol::rofl:

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Any screenies?:):tiphat:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Once upon a time i made Space ants.
vnm.jpg

A simple ship, programmed to do the following:
1. Turn to random direction
2. Spin up
3. Start the engine
4. Make a copy (that would start at 1)
5. Wait 10 seconds
6. Goto 4

The universe was destroyed 110 seconds later.
(Orbiter ground to a halt and crashed)

That was fun.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

That, my friend, is how you seriously irritate every sentient being in the galaxy universe multiverse whole freakin' plane of existence as we all know it, all at once. :lol:

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
vnm.jpg

2. Spin up
3. Start the engine
5. Wait 10 seconds
6. Goto 4

That was fun.
:thumbup::rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
vnm.jpg

2. Spin up
3. Start the engine
5. Wait 10 seconds
6. Goto 4

That was fun.

This + UCGO Container + XR-Cargo Wrapper (optional) + 1 free cargo slot = doomsday machine.

----------------------------------------------------

I actually tried something like this, but instead of spawning space ants, I rigged cargoes to spawn XR2s when they landed. I was flying an XR-5, (which can hold 40-ish cargoes) on the OMP server. I also had a lua script to drop them at 1-second intervals. The other people on the server were not pleased.

----------------------------------------------------

I later repeated the phenomenon with cloud generators:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=31884

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
For me, it's still miscalculating my orbit with my 120 km Ananke Tether-Sling and taking it into the atmosphere above Brazil. The 120 km long cables turned into the filaments of a light-bulb and suddenly the entire southern hemisphere was several times brighter than noon. I found myself wondering what it must sound like down on the ground....

Don't you love how with this simulator, a multi-billion dollar mistake is rectified by exiting and making some adjustments in your .scn file?

Addendum: found the screen shot and thought I'd throw it up. "ZTC - We Bring Good Things to Light."

oops1_zps5a18f168.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For me, it's still miscalculating my orbit with my 120 km Ananke Tether-Sling and taking it into the atmosphere above Brazil. The 120 km long cables turned into the filaments of a light-bulb and suddenly the entire southern hemisphere was several times brighter than noon. I found myself wondering what it must sound like down on the ground....
Lol I wonder what It would have sounded like to Messi and Ronaldo and the supporters and referee #RemindersOfWorldCup2014:rofl:

Don't you love how with this simulator, a multi-billion dollar mistake is rectified by exiting and making some adjustments in your .scn file?
Yes really! That's so much better than spending billgates of dollar$
I <3 Orbiter!:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Exponential growth in practice.
:huh:What do you mean?:)

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:huh:What do you mean?:)

Artlav's ships were replicating exponentially, i.e.:

t=0 - 1 ship
t=10 - 2 ships
t=20 - 4 ships
t=30 - 8 ships
t=40 - 16 ships
t=100 - 1024 ships
t=110 - 2048 ships (crashed while spawning)

At which point he apparently hit some fundamental limit of the Orbiter universe. If the Orbiter universe was 1000 times larger -- i.e. limited to 1 million ships instead of 1 thousand ships, it would only survive 200 seconds. :) Likewise, a 1-billion-ship universe would be exhausted in 300 seconds.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/al...p_growth_decay/v/exponential-growth-functions

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Artlav's ships were replicating exponentially, i.e.:

t=0 - 1 ship
t=10 - 2 ships
t=20 - 4 ships
t=30 - 8 ships
t=40 - 16 ships
t=100 - 1024 ships
t=110 - 2048 ships (crashed while spawning)

At which point he apparently hit some fundamental limit of the Orbiter universe. If the Orbiter universe was 1000 times larger -- i.e. limited to 1 million ships instead of 1 thousand ships, it would only survive 200 seconds. :) Likewise, a 1-billion-ship universe would be exhausted in 300 seconds.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/al...p_growth_decay/v/exponential-growth-functions
LOL:):thumbup::lol::rofl:

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

vnm.jpg

2. Spin up
3. Start the engine
5. Wait 10 seconds
6. Goto 4

That was fun.
LOL can I get that ship? If so, where?:thumbup::):rofl:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
LOL can I get that ship? If so, where?:thumbup::):rofl:
Here: http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/voneuman.zip
Requires O2006 apparently, O2010 just crashes.
I should have the sources somewhere to recompile, but with 4Tb of poorly-organized archives it's not going to be easy to find.

It is completely automatic, just run the scn and watch (no time accel looks better).
Lasted 130 seconds on this machine, hm. :)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
vnm.jpg

2. Spin up
3. Start the engine
5. Wait 10 seconds
6. Goto 4

That was fun.

In his best Sam-Neill-as-Dr-Alan-Grant voice: You bred Replicators?!?

*grabs his shotgun
picture.php

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

An intentional funny moment - Space Kegger:
picture.php

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In his best Sam-Neill-as-Dr-Alan-Grant voice: You bred Replicators?!?

*grabs his shotgun

Assuming your shotgun fires 1 round per second, it will only work if you manage to contain the infestation during initial 30 seconds -- after this point the replicators will be spawned faster than you are able to shoot them.

Your only hope is a self-replicating shotgun, multiplying faster than the targeted species. Of course, this also needs a fail-safe mechanism -- the shotguns must stop multiplying at one point, otherwise, they will take over the universe.

Dantassii

Reaction score
:lol::rofl:

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Any screenies?:):tiphat:

Sorry, No screenies and I really didn't run the whole mission. I did the departure from Europa, sling shot around Jupiter, and then did the burn to get into LEO at 300 Km at Earth 16 days later. I then threw away the scenario file.

But a 2.5 hour continuous burn of those EHEs, that was a pretty sight.

Dantassii

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Assuming your shotgun fires 1 round per second, it will only work if you manage to contain the infestation during initial 30 seconds -- after this point the replicators will be spawned faster than you are able to shoot them.

Your only hope is a self-replicating shotgun, multiplying faster than the targeted species. Of course, this also needs a fail-safe mechanism -- the shotguns must stop multiplying at one point, otherwise, they will take over the universe.

Solution? A self-replicating universe.