Idea Gemini12-GATV / MOL-OPS0855 rendezvous?

Col Brubaker

Hoax Developer
Reaction score
If I want to play Buzz Aldrin...
And just in case, I want to dock with the GATV-5001A, to use it to change my inclination from 28.8° to 32.82°.
Cause I want to make a station-keeping rendezvous with the MOL or OPS0855. For to make a spacewalk into the Gemini-B hatch...
And thru the tunnel into the lab. To recover some tapes and films, to store it into the Gemini-B, before separation and reentry...
Then move back to the Gemini12 and land at the USS Wasp.
( Well, it's a DOD-mission. Please don't tell me it was never happening. I know that. It is just a matter of flight-dynamic-posibilities )

How could I realize this in Orbiter?
- I see there was some development, with the Gemini and Titan for Orbiter 2016. But the MOL is still from 2005!
I don't want to mess up my installation just to proof that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I looked into updating it, but I don't really have the urge to finish it. Right now, I switch projects every week and experiment around, for this week, its looking into making the Jet Engine Library more useful.

Also, I would prefer having the Gemini in a SSU style quality VC, including the proper modularity of the spacecraft to configure them for each different mission.

Maybe somebody else would have more ambition there.

For just realizing the mission, I think you could use VesselBuilder for creating everything you need:

1. (Titan 3 +) MOL + Gemini B
  2. Titan 2 + Gemini (B)

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I also ran out of steam on this one.

I think meshes for both the VC and exterior need to be (re)created at a level consistent with NASSP/SSU VCs.

The fact that there some license incompatibilities between the current project on GitHub, and NASSP, SSU, and yaOBC (Ron Burkey's Gemini OBC emulator), make expansion using components from those projects very hard.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The fact that there some license incompatibilities between the current project on GitHub, and NASSP, SSU, and yaOBC (Ron Burkey's Gemini OBC emulator), make expansion using components from those projects very hard.

I agree, there. But I am not sure, if a NASSP compatible project would be easier, since the amount of code that could actually be carried over is relatively small.

Col Brubaker

Hoax Developer
Reaction score
I am actually not asking, if somebody can create me an Addon.
I also know that Gemini had always a bit a quite strict mechanical flight quality.
Are the existing Addons compatible to each other and to 2016?
The .scn I can write myself.

For just realizing the mission, I think you could use VesselBuilder for creating everything you need:
  1. (Titan 3 +) MOL + Gemini B
  2. Titan 2 + Gemini (B)
(y)I try that on the weekend!

It is more about to prove that this could be possible. That they really flew over to the MOL.
My "hoax" would be confirmed, if they would land at the USS Wasp at the right time.
Over 10y ago I used a other vessel as a MOL-target. And I really ditched near Bermuda the right time.

Last edited: