Project GEP New Generation - Galileo

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Let's go to the next project of my old idea, the GEP new generation.
The second spacecraft is now based on a model of the NASA's Eyes in the Solar System. Ladies and Gentlemans, here is the Galileo's first screens:
picture.php

picture.php

As the texturization isn't complete, I can't show the entire model...
I hope you liked, thanks! :cheers:

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Almost complete! Solved a problem with the conversor, and here is the Galileo:
picture.php

picture.php

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You might want to remove the atmospheric probe from the bottom of the main orbiter spacecraft. The Galileo mission consisted of two separate components, an orbiter and a atmospheric entry probe which was attached to the bottom of the orbiter.

It was critical that the atmospheric entry probe separated from the orbiter as it blocked the main engine on the orbiter. If the probe didn't separate the orbiter would be unable to enter orbit around Jupiter.

Here's the Wikipedia article on the Galileo spacecraft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(spacecraft)

Edit:
Here's an old add-on which simulates the atmospheric entry probe part of the Galileo mission: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=855"]Galileo atmospheric probe[/ame]

Last edited:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know, this is the "after-launch" mode... I'm going to animate it using spacecraft3.dll after the modeling phase.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How are you planning to launch it? Or will this be post-launch only?

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have NO IDEA! :lol: But I can use the default demonstrations of the Galileo's trajectory and some scenarios of another Galileo Probe in the OrbitHangar. Unfortunately, I can't use Shuttle Fleet for simulate it, so I'll use the default Atlantis. As you said in another thread, you can use it with SSU in anyway, just put the credits! ;)

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

I'm having problems when I'm testing the model with a simple vessel. There's a crash. Here's the file of the spacecraft:

; === Configuration file for vessel class Galileo ===
ClassName = Galileo
Meshname = Galileo
Size = 200.0

Can you say me what's wrong? The log file don't says nothing...

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm having problems when I'm testing the model with a simple vessel. There's a crash. Here's the file of the spacecraft:

; === Configuration file for vessel class Galileo ===
ClassName = Galileo
Meshname = Galileo
Size = 200.0

Can you say me what's wrong? The log file don't says nothing...
Could you post the scenario file? And you're sure that the mesh name is Galileo and it exists as Galileo.msh in Meshes\? I know these are very basic questions but they're necessary as most of the time it turns out that the solution is very basic as well.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, the .msh file is in the Meshes folder. I used the scenario editor to add the spacecraft, so it shouldn't have a problem. I used the same file with another mesh and it worked... Here is an example of a scenario:

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
Test Scenario
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 51982.6688944595
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship GL-01S
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET GL-01S
  MODE Extern
  POS 2.51 -121.11 -24.44
  TRACKMODE TargetRelative
  FOV 60.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Surface
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
  TYPE HSI
  NAV 0 1
  OBS 5.34 5.76
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE Map
  REF Earth
  BTARGET Habana
  OTARGET ISS
  TRACK ON
END_MFD

BEGIN_VC
END_VC

BEGIN_SHIPS
GL-01S:Galileo
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS -80.6858943 28.5906644
  HEADING 330.01
  RCSMODE 0
  PRPLEVEL 0:0.995 1:1.000 2:1.000
  NAVFREQ 94 524 84 114
  XPDR 0
END
END_SHIPS

I used a default scenario, the spacecraft should be there, but during the loading, when the Galileo word appears, it suddenly crashes. The .log file don't shows nothing...

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

It worked when I deactivated the local light sources and the modules, but when I reactivated just the modules, it crashed again! I'll use the spacecraft3 file, just to test it...

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Strange, the .msh file is working with the JUNO .INI file... This is probably a bug of the default Orbiter. At least, the mesh is working!

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Uhm, DaveS, could you create a .dll file for this model (if you are a coder)? This may clear the problems. I can send the model if you want it...

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry, but I am not a coder. I'm only proficient with SC3.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyway, thanks! I'll try with SC3 too, and see what will happen...

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

I'm having real problems with random crashes!!!!! It happens with .cfg files and with .ini files, sometimes the simulator starts, sometimes it NEVER starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The .msh file can be a problem?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The .msh file can be a problem?
Could be. Make sure that there's absolutely zero errors and problems with the mesh when you export it to msh.

For example: Check that there's no isolated vertices being found by the script. I have had several meshes that have caused random CTDs where the cause was a bunch of isolated vertices that Orbiter couldn't handle. Once I had dealt with them, the random CTDs were gone forever.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I still have CTDs. The problem is that SOMETIMES it crashes! Really hard to understand the reason...
But I had better results with SC3. Maybe in the end of the work I'll use the Artlav tool to solve this problem (if there's a solution)!

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

And I removed the isolated vertices, just to have sure.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

WHAT? It crashed again, and I don't changed NOTHING!!! Is it possible?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I still have CTDs. The problem is that SOMETIMES it crashes! Really hard to understand the reason...
But I had better results with SC3. Maybe in the end of the work I'll use the Artlav tool to solve this problem (if there's a solution)!

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

And I removed the isolated vertices, just to have sure.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

WHAT? It crashed again, and I don't changed NOTHING!!! Is it possible?
Could you send it to me? I'll have at look at it. Include everything(msh, dds, cfg, scn and ini).

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll send it via PM...

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The problem seems to be a corrupt mesh. Here's one that works 100% on my machine:

Last edited:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I completed the basic animations, as the rotation of the cameras and the deployment of the LGA. Now something important: Should I animate the RTG deployment? The animation of the Magnetometer boom is very easy...

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

picture.php

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Incredible mesh and texturing - Looking forward to play with it and send to Jupiter:p

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I completed the basic animations, as the rotation of the cameras and the deployment of the LGA. Now something important: Should I animate the RTG deployment? The animation of the Magnetometer boom is very easy...

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

picture.php
Just so that you know: That has the HGA dish in it's partially deployed state where ribs 9, 10 and 11 are stuck which prevents full deployment of the HGA. Also, the HGA mesh should be yellow in color while the ribs should be black like the rest of the spacecraft.

See this photo:
epd-on-galileo.jpg

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know, the current model is the fully deployed spacecraft. The stowed HGA isn't modeled yet, I'll work on it when I complete the animations...

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2012 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was May 2nd, 2012 at 11:50 PM ----------

Now the Ribs are black as they should be...

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Working in the MAG boom animation.... Now I'm working with the final scaling of the booms, and next week you'll fly with the Galileo! :yes:

Keatah

Reaction score
This looks really nice!

I want to see you make a fully working HGA and releasable probe. This way we could conduct alternate timeline missions. And do the mission as JPL intended. And since the whole mission was structured around the low-gain antenna's capabilities, perhaps a simple MFD indicating signal-strength and earth-pointing accuracy can be made. Maybe you could do an update or enhancement package later on.

Again, this is really slick and the texturing in the top photos is thrilling to look at! My favorite part is the optical camera and telescope assembly. Look at the detail!!

When I was a kid, and built real radio circuits to receive the Voyager 2 signals, who would have thought that years later we'd play playing games where space probes were the star of the show? The best we could hope for would be numerical trajectory simulations.

Last edited: