Giant Hurricane Sandy

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wasn't that mainly from years of lack of proper building inspections and maintenance? I remember reading that the roof collapsed because nobody cleared the roof of excessive snow buildups leading to the inevitable collapse.

Yes, but the snow build-up was the main cause there. It would have been possible to clear the roof at the snowfall rates there, but it did not happen when needed.

Same you can say for a Hurricane, though it is a more extreme and faster event. A proper building could have lasted longer for Enterprise, but even a strong bunker could fail under such forces. And when a building collapses, the damage is usually much worse than when a tent collapses.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, but the snow build-up was the main cause there. It would have been possible to clear the roof at the snowfall rates there, but it did not happen when needed.

Same you can say for a Hurricane, though it is a more extreme and faster event. A proper building could have lasted longer for Enterprise, but even a strong bunker could fail under such forces. And when a building collapses, the damage is usually much worse than when a tent collapses.

No matter how you reason it out, putting a space shuttle in a tent in a hurricane is a dumb idea.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No matter how you reason it out, putting a space shuttle in a tent in a hurricane is a dumb idea.

Putting a Space Shuttle in a tent in a place where a Hurricane is pretty unlikely is better... ;)

llarian

Reaction score
For such a big storm the devastation was not that great (my condolences to those who have personally lost something in this ... and to the crew of the replica HMS Bounty).

Couldn't sleep well last night so I took a walk about 0300. Wind was gusting 60-80 km/hr but no rain. Today it is sunny and 18C.

Just a brushing, really. Current sat images still show the storm as very organized, especially for having made landfall which is quite unusual.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Putting a Space Shuttle in a tent in a place where a Hurricane is pretty unlikely is better... ;)

I vote New Mexico, or Arizona, Sunshine year round, Sand Storms are no match for a building the size and design of a Hangar, NO HURRICANES! NO EARTH QUAKES! But I digress.

Sandy Sucks, especially now that it has damaged the Enterprise.

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Well, according to the power company, we won't be getting power back until 11/5. Right now I'm running off a generator. But, there aren't any gas stations around to fill up.

Going to have to figure out how to siphon from a gas tank. We've got 5 cars with full tanks. Just need to get the gas out.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Going to have to figure out how to siphon from a gas tank. We've got 5 cars with full tanks. Just need to get the gas out.

You should only need a rubber hose. If you want to avoid a mouthful of gasoline, have something ready to plug it. Put as much tube as you can into the tank, plug it, then put plugged end into a bucket or jerrycan, remove plug. Hey presto, welcome to the wonderful world of gas thieves.:lol:

However...

Some modern cars have a device in place to prevent just this. This thread may help.

FADEC

Reaction score
Please, somebody give me a large vomit bag. We have a new conspiracy theory: Hurricane Sandy was manufactured by military technology in order to disturb and influence the US election campaign :facepalm:

It's obviously the same bunch of people which believe in the HAARP and chemtrail conspiracy theory. They claim that Sandy and the way it moved toward the US is unnatural. And since we already were able to build atomic bombs in the 1940's, these days it is easily possible to create and control such weather phenomena.

Honestly, I think mass therapies are required here. This isn't normal anymore.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

New conspiracy theory: mass hypnotism being performed on world ppopulation.

I talked to my family in the Philly area and it looks like they are doing okay. Looks like the DC area is pretty much out of the woods at this point; they are forecasting sunshine tomorrow.

New York City and shore towns on the other hand...

TerraMimic

Reaction score
You should only need a rubber hose. If you want to avoid a mouthful of gasoline, have something ready to plug it. Put as much tube as you can into the tank, plug it, then put plugged end into a bucket or jerrycan, remove plug. Hey presto, welcome to the wonderful world of gas thieves.:lol:

However...

Some modern cars have a device in place to prevent just this. This thread may help.

Thanks for the info. We managed to find a group of open stations. And worst case scenario, we can pull the fuel filter. Gas will just start pouring out until you reconnect it.

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
KLGA, La Guardia Airport, New York... Now accepts boats...
LaGuardia-Airport-after-Sandy-1-Oct.-30-2012.jpg

Screamer7

Reaction score
KLGA, La Guardia Airport, New York... Now accepts boats...
LaGuardia-Airport-after-Sandy-1-Oct.-30-2012.jpg

This is really bad.
My thoughts are with all the people suffering from this disaster.
I know it is winter in the USA, and hope the temperatures are not to bad.

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Ok, so we seemed to have faired decently well near my house. The generator has kept the sump pump working, so we didn't flood. Tree fell in the opposite direction of the house.

We have enough gas for the generator for now, so our major concern now is the temperature. During the day it isn't too bad, but it does get cold at night. Hopefully we get power back before the weekend. The forecast seems to be for the weather to get really cold over the weekend.

My brother has been out with the local fire department. According to him, some places around here look like a warzone. They've been evacuating people in damaged houses to the shelters.

TerraMimic

Reaction score
What part of Jersey are you in, Terramimic?

I'm in East Brunswick, Middlesex County.

Just checked the forcasts. Supposed to be approaching freezing Saturday and Sunday nights. Days should be ok, if a bit on the cold side.

llarian

Reaction score
Please, somebody give me a large vomit bag. We have a new conspiracy theory: Hurricane Sandy was manufactured by military technology in order to disturb and influence the US election campaign :facepalm:

... snipped ...

What!? Al Qaeda hasn't claimed responsibility for the storm, yet?

llarian

Reaction score
Thank you, my friend, at least I am not disappointed.

I have often wondered how, with "mainstream" media like this that our moderators can justify relegating some conversations to the Basement.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I would love to see news return to the 'Cronkite-era' when news was news not opinion-spewing idiots.

Everyone on the east coast: stay safe, and try not to be hurt.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
I've had my share of horrible tropical storms and floods, and at the worst of it was 5 years in a row, it was like a national holiday for one week each year, thanks to bad bureaucracy that always delay the construction of the new canal. But then again we don't have any winter here and it still takes a heavy toll. I know that the East Coast is an centre of economy in the US, and I hope the storm and flooding will not bring that much of a halt to your economy. And the last but not the least, I pray for the safety of those who lost their home and have to evacuate to a shelter, even without a winter here the evacuation is still a horrible situation, I can't for the life of me imagine if the coldness is added to that tricky situation, all the best to those who are affected.