Git Help

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
users.kymp.net
Some help with the Git needed. I started working on atmospheric rendering overhaul on D3D9client and I would like to "push" my current work in progress to a new branch.
The current branch is "orbitersim/d3d9client" that's where the changes go if I commit and push. But I would like to commit them to "jarmonik/orbiter/atmo-remake" instead and then make a pull-request later-on when the work is finished. No local/remote branch created yet. I have been writing code two months without touching the Git and I have forgotten most of it.

I tried with bad results:
-stash
-create/checkout new branch
-stash pop

So, I restored my "clean" backup copy of the work.

n72.75

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Step 1. fork the repo.
Step 2. clone it locally to your computer, and checkout d3d9client (git checkout d3d9client)
Step 3. create a new branch

If you're using the visual studio git plugin you can create a new local branch like this.
1636729041343.png

you can also do this via command line with
git checkout -b atmo-remake

Step 4. make new commits to this branch. when you push them, either with VS, or "git push" a tracked branch will be added on GitHub
Step 5. when it's all done. you can make a pull request to orbitersim/d3d9client

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A branch in Git is just a pointer to a commit. Thus you can always create a new branch where ever you are. On the command-line, command to create a new branch at the checkout you are at, is "git checkout -b jarmonik/orbiter/atmo-remake".

n72.75

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Stash is not something I use much. Doesn't work well with my workflow.

Here's a video on it though.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
users.kymp.net
A branch in Git is just a pointer to a commit. Thus you can always create a new branch where ever you are. On the command-line, command to create a new branch at the checkout you are at, is "git checkout -b jarmonik/orbiter/atmo-remake".

Thanks, that did exactly what I needed. It was that easy after all.