Update [Glideslope 2] Beta Release

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking for Beta Testers please.

Here's the new Glideslope 2. I need to spend some time writing documentation , but here's a quick summary of differences.

1. 4 main modes: Glideslope track, Tapes, Digital Reentry Params, and Horizontal Stat.

1a. The Glideslope track is the same as the old one, just with labels for the colors.

1b. The Tapes ... I have played with the font sizes and formatting. It's still not perfect, but it's more readable than the last one.

1c. The Digital Reetry Params screen is all new ... allowing you to read from numbers rather than from the tapes. Colors ... green is good, white is high, red is low as usual.

1d. The Horizontal Status / HAC screen - has 4 new buttons ... HR+, HR- to increase and decrease the HAC radius (and the final approach length). ZM+ and ZM- switches to manual zoom mode if you want to hold a specific zoom. RST resets the zoom, the radius and the HAC orientation.

2. The configuration is now fully customizable from GS2.cfg. Put in the runways of your choice, and set your choice of preferences, including the glideslope itself. I have converted the original Shuttle reference glideslope from the Glideslope 1 code, and added a sample XR-2 glideslope that I have run a few times into KSC33.

3. The SAV save button saves your glideslope in a format ready for reading as your new reference slope. (E.g. land a DG IV into Olympus, save the slope and then you can reference it through the PREFS setting for a subsequent run.)

4. Some of the internal range and HAC turn logic is amended, to remove the jump on range when hitting the turn, and working out when you enter and exit the HAC.

I have only tested it on XR-2 into Kennedy so far. Interested in experiences with other ships into other bases please, and whether you can get it to work (it runs for me, but I don't know if I have the compile settings right for general release without Visual C++ 2010 in the background!!).

Things still left to do:

1. Figure out how to preserve the mode setting (e.g. F8 switch / switchback). As all MFD programmers find out, your base class is destroyed and created all the time. I just need to persist the mode somewhere. (Think I know how to do it ... looking for mfd and vessel pointers in my underlying guts class ... but TBD).

2. Documentation of GS2. Want to have screen shots, describe each button and screen, etc.

3. I want to write a GS2 reentry guide in PDF too. E.g. as a tip ... when you are 20-30km from the HAC, bring the AoA close to zero, get the ship mice and balanced on a zero VSpd, and you are then going to be well set to get into the HAC. If you scream in at 1000 m/s speed, 40 AoA, then roll 60 degrees, don't expect to see much pull into the turn, as the wing is well stalled!!

4. General dethatch and spring clean on the code. Want to break it into headers and separate files, and add more comments for the next coder in here, whilst its still fresh.

5. Energy units ... not sure they are right (represented as m/s or J/kg in different screens)? Want to look further at this.

6. Maybe add more Diags screens for location and XYZ/LLR codes, azimuths, etc for the morbidly fascinated (DIAGS INTERNAL only ... not for joe public).

Bugs, comments, encouragement all welcome. And if it doesn't install, or the settings look wrong, or if you want to look at the code - you are more than welcome.

Oh - and this is my first Orbiter coding, and my first serious coding effort for a while. It's been a blast.

Attachments

• GS2.zip
    60.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Update as of Nov 29th... I have a private version of the latest Glideslope 2 build available for anyone who PM's me.

New features:

1. Mode selection now preserved through changes of views, resizing ExtMFD, etc.

2. Ability to set your choice of left, right and extmfd start mode in GS2.cfg (e.g. to open glideslope on left and the tapes display on right, and have the HAC display on the ExtMFD for when you open it).

3. Created four different HAC geometry modes ... Left open, Left closed, Right open and Right closed. Toggle through them with HAC button, reset with RST. The left/right selects the direction round the HAC, and open/closed selects whether you must do a whole lap round the HAC or just the arc from HAC entry to exit. This is now much closer to a real Shuttle HAC selection choice, for example.

4. Energy calculation logic now accurate, and expressed in Joules or foot-pounds force depending on units. (I figured out the PE = G M1.M2/r and KE = 0.5 M2 V^2 logic!!)

5. Added Wideawake and Vandenberg runway data into the default GS2.cfg file.

6. Done a code dethatch and sort-out, so it's cleaner for the next developer to pick up now.

To do still ... complete the documentation.

Let me know if interested. (Kinda sad not to see any comments on the original thread, bar some private traffic.)

Tommy

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't had time to check this out - but you released during deer hunting season! Still haven't filled the black powder tag so not much free time right now.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, this looks cool. Is it an autopilot, or is it like AerobrakeMFD in that you need to follow it's advice on where to point your ship manually? (Really technical flight terms there... :lol:)

It's all of the above :). It has an autopilot mode for tracking the commanded AoA, but it's not super-sophisticated yet (i.e. it does not correct to the Glideslope yet or do S-turns, etc ... hmm future work there!). The main way to use it is like a flight director, flying to the vertical and horizontal tracks. What's neat about it is you can tweak the reference glideslope yourself (it's all paramaterized), or you can replace the glideslope entirely for a class of spacecraft. (E.g. say you had a hot-rod of a spacecraft that could handle a 5 degree entry, with a zoom-dive to 5km altitude, then use the thicker air to do some crazy approach ... you could model this directly with no coding required (all just config files.)

When I first started doing dead-stick landings, I was frustrated that I could not adjust the HAC to my liking. Hell - I would usually blow right through the HAC with no turning due to not unstalling my wing and not getting it to grip in the turns. With this glideslope, you now have a huge amount of flexibility over the HAC positioning, size, zoom for the display, etc, to make the final approach really easy.

I'll drop a PM copy of the util to all of you over the weekend, and I'll release the v2.0 code on a Tuesday sometime soon! (G2G ... RL calls)

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi,ADSWNJ I would like to give the new version a go too,this looks to be an excelent tool for future flights.Thanks