Going cold turkey

steph

Reaction score
Just decided on Saturday evening that I'm quitting alcohol. Not sure if completely, or for how long. I don't mind having a drink or two with my buddies from time to time, but they will stay a drink or two.
Had some chest pains a while ago, which started like mild discomfort then progressed into something ocasionally more painful. Had some nausea too, though no vomiting, nor gag reflexes.

Thing is, I've got the worst approach ever to it. I still haven't gone see a doctor since I'm scared :censored:less that I'll find out I'm dying or something, so I've resorted to quitting drinking and waiting to see whether the symptoms subside or I'll have an acute crisis of something which will force me to hitch a ride in an ambulance and find out the hard way. I don't even think I'll need one...the hospital is literally 10 minutes away from my place. Except for debilitating pain, I'll walk.

I don't have much trouble quitting beer (easily spent months without drinking), and it's now day 3 and I'm not having much withdrawal symptoms. Sure, insomnia and not being able to calm down much, but that's also because I don't know WTF is happening (there's a dreadful panic that taints every minute of your life when you fear one of these things, panic which doesn't really go away unless you're beyond numb on alcohol or have a serious phylosophy footing on life), hence why I kept drinking myself to sleep daily for slightly more than a week.

Thinking about it, I'm not really into much of a risk group. Age 25, lost a lot of weight a few years ago due to running,which I still practice and I've been drinking more seriously since I've been about 21, with more than a year long pause until I've gotten to 24. My alcohol tolerance has gone up for the last year or so (8-9 beers, sometimes more per night, ), which might have contributed to the symptoms. But then again, I've seen stories of alcoholics who were over 30 and downing over 20 beers per day, for years on end, and not even they had immediate problems.
Now, since Saturday, there does seem to be a slight relaxation of the symptoms like nausea and pain, but I'm not quite sure , since I spent the last week in a drunken haze because I was too afraid to face the problem.

One of the other things that's been puzzling me is that it doesn't really seem to corellate with alcohol consumption, at least not completely. It's not like I'd get bouts of pain while drinking, more like the opposite, probably due to the sedative effect of alcohol, and tolerance hasn't suffered at all prior to quitting.

And then again, even liver failure and hepatitis don't happen THAT fast. They can kill you , sure, but not in the span of a few weeks.

Anyone else been through something similar? Feel free to chime in

EDIT: the funny part...I didn't really have much of a financial problem due to alcohol. You see, there's this bar in town which has something they call warm-up, where you pay something like 2$ and they let you chug all the beer you want for about 2 hours. Since most people stay below, say, 4 beers at most, me and my friends started calling ourselver the bankrupcy crew, since if everyone drank like us, there's no way that bar would stay in business :rofl:

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You seriously need to get checked out. Alcohol may not be an issue at all, could be something really bad. You should be far too young to have any long term issues realted to alcohol consumption, but you should get your :censored: checked out. Seriously.

I don't drink nearly as much as I did while in the NAVY, but I can still hold my own against the kiddies (as my daughters sorority friends found out, only too late. Their boyfriends didn't fare too well either).

Not much of a beer drinker, but I don't think there's a bourbon or rum drink that I can't be friends with.

Dude, go to a doctor though. Make sure you're healthy.

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
steph, please visit a doctor.
Sure, it can be frightening to - perhaps! - get bad news about your health but then on the other hand the doctors can help you.
Perhaps something is going on in your body and it can be treated.

My mom had a little "knob" in her right breast - and she was really afraid to visit a doctor.
I talked a lot to her and eventually she agreed to see a doc.
Sure enough it was breast cancer.
Luckily it was discovered at a pretty early stage so an operation and a radiotherapy healed her - until today.
The whole incident is now 3 years ago.

Face your fears. Please!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Beer isn't as dangerous as harder drinks, but generally, who already needs 10 beer for feeling a bit drunk, would also be more motivated to switch to harder drinks for the feeling.

Alcohol withdrawal is even worse and more dangerous than cocaine withdrawal, so it is generally recommended to see a doctor there. But I doubt from your post, that you are really endangered. You just have a problem with alcohol (So am I, but that's why I nearly drink nothing at all since leaving the army).

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there any reason why you are not going to the doctor NOW? Even if it is "just" a regular check-up, it will at least help you calm down psychologically.

I remember having similar symptoms nearing 30. In the end it was a simple reflux that got cured quickly with proton pump inhibitors. Drinking water instead of sodas (or sparkling alcohol) and dinner-cancelling also quickly eased the symptoms somewhat. Without the doc's diagnosis, I'd have thought it to be a beginning heart attack.

Last edited:

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I greatly reduced my over-enthusiastic drinking years ago, and to be honest don't miss it. (I appreciate it's not easy for everyone.)

BUT I would say any sort of chest "discomfort" should be looked at. Had some myself once and saw the doc, he checked it out thoroughly (no big deal by the way, just caused by my reduction in exercise).

It's probably nothing, but there are defects which affect people who've led very ordinary lifestyles. Something similar runs in my family and I have unfortunately had to say goodbye to a few wooden boxes. Don't join them!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
All that's been said above, and you must see a health professional. If you have that much anxiety, it has to be sorted or you will never have any peace of mind.

Regarding alcohol, its an implacable foe, never gives up, never rests. Up to you whether you cut it out completely, or reduce your intake. Depends on your personality, if you can reduce it good, if not, stop it completely.
I've got 40 years age on you and found I needed more and more for the same result. Typical addictive behaviour. Managing my intake at the moment, but I know it would be easy to slip into a binge cycle.
If you are worried about alcohol behaviour, go to your local help agency, volunteers or professional. They will help point you in the right direction.

N.

steph

Reaction score
Well, the safest bet would be gallstones (yes, I've read so many internet diagnoses that I might consider getting a medical degree if this turns out all right ), especially since it likes to strike in the middle of the night, hurts up my right shoulder and back and after eating or coffee, aaand I have risk factors such as a family history, unhealthy eating and drinking and a recent big weight loss. If it turns out to be something gastric, might be even easier to cure.
The other options would be liver, pancreas and other important stuff which you don't want blowing up on you like Apollo 13's oxygen tanks :lol:
Still, the liver seems waay too early and too sudden. We'll see.

I think I'll see a doctor, though. Enough of searching internet symptoms .Another few nights like this and I'll go positively insane, plus it might worsen the thing. Mom's a doctor , but I wouldn't scare the living crap out of her just like that, in case it turns out to be something more serious. Then again, perhaps a bad outcome might better be handled if told by a parent :p. Time to get this sorted, anyway :hailprobe: Thanks y'all. :thumbup:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Go see a doctor and get your vitamin and mineral levels thoroughly checked while you're there. Alcohol causes all sorts of vitamin and mineral deficiencies, which causes all sorts of maladies. Correcting these can help you feel better.

In a way I'm glad to see you worried about your health while you are young and still have it. Doing so in your 40s and 50s after a life of poor habits is much harder.

Go.See.The.Doctor!

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
All of the advice above.

The last time I had any alcohol was when I was...uh, 11, I think--by accident:lol: Haven't touched it since. I suppose I could have a beer now and then if I really wanted to, without much danger. But my dad is a recovering alcoholic. It runs on his side of the family. So I refuse to ever touch it.

I have occasionally thought of taking up smoking, though, just to :censored: off the PC crowd:lol:

I also have right quadrant pain sometimes--feels like gallbladder issues, but it eases up when I make a bathroom visit.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I also have right quadrant pain sometimes--feels like gallbladder issues, but it eases up when I make a bathroom visit.

#OldMansProblems

I also have my share of pain of the right side.

In my case though, because I played football on Friday and collected a good number of fouls and elbow checks on that side in 90 minutes. Currently my skin looks like a political map of the Holy Roman Empire there.

But the last goal of the season and the deciding goal of the match was mine! :cheers:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Chest pain = GO SEE A DOCTOR

Somebody told me that married men live longer because their wives make them go to the doctor. If you're not married then you have to motivate yourself.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
:cheers::thumbup::cheers::huh::rofl:...thud...

N.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Yeah, for chest pain, see a doctor. You're probably not at risk for a heart attack at your age, but my uncle died of one less than two weeks ago, very unexpectedly, and we all considered him the least at risk of all of us. Better safe than sorry.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Yeah, for chest pain, see a doctor. You're probably not at risk for a heart attack at your age, but my uncle died of one less than two weeks ago, very unexpectedly, and we all considered him the least at risk of all of us. Better safe than sorry.

Dude, I'm sorry to hear that:(
Were you guys close?

steph

Reaction score
Turns out it's most likely something with the stomach/intestins. Gave me some prescriptions, told me to get vitamins . Got scheduled for more tests in something like 2 weeks, but since it's nothing too serious, it's ok.

The dude said that liver problems mean pain that gets you screaming for painkillers and the inability to hold any food in for much... not desirable , anyway.

You guys are right. Best get anything checked out before it turns into something serious. Regular checks might mean the difference between life and death, or at least taking meds as opposed to invasive surgery.:cheers:

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
You might be surprised how things resolve just by taking care of yourself a bit. After a certain age, you simply have to take care about what you eat and drink and work on getting fresh air and sunshine and managing stress. It's not hard to maintain, but the mental adjustment from being a wild and free youngster who can abuse themselves and bounce back to someone who needs a little self-discipline to feel well can be tough. But that little bit of self-discipline and attention to health maintenance can keep you feeling really good.

Keep us posted how you're doing. Sounds like you're on the right track.