Request Google earth Plugin for tracking

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I would like to request a addon like this one [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4645"]Google Earth Tracker 2 v1.2[/ame]
The above addon works great. The issue I have with the current addon is that you have to close Orbiter in order for the .kml file to load and parse in google earth. The original maker of addon has not been active since 06-01-10 06:28 AM. I would like to use this in OMP but it could also be used for VSA's as a way to have a "Realtime" tracker for Orbiter. The current addon does work,but,only after I close Orbiter. My Idea comes from this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4_A-NQt2Q"]Last Space Shattle STS135 deorbit, reentry to touchdown tracking - YouTube[/ame]

Also if the .kml file is loaded on a server and made public (XAMPP\htdocs directory or similar) anybody could type in the URL in google earth and watch the viewing in realtime also. Might be a good thing for the VSA's

Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I would like to request a addon like this one Google Earth Tracker 2 v1.2
The above addon works great. The issue I have with the current addon is that you have to close Orbiter in order for the .kml file to load and parse in google earth. The original maker of addon has not been active since 06-01-10 06:28 AM. I would like to use this in OMP but it could also be used for VSA's as a way to have a "Realtime" tracker for Orbiter. The current addon does work,but,only after I close Orbiter. My Idea comes from this

Last Space Shattle STS135 deorbit, reentry to touchdown tracking - YouTube

Also if the .kml file is loaded on a server and made public (XAMPP\htdocs directory or similar) anybody could type in the URL in google earth and watch the viewing in realtime also. Might be a good thing for the VSA's
Ah yes, I'm the author - sorry for not seeing this sooner (and probably wouldn't have anyway if RacerX hadn't sent me a PM). But, hmm, I sure ain't inactive that long...

Anyway, I'll take a look as soon as I discover how to work with the PSDK over Wine.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ah yes, I'm the author - sorry for not seeing this sooner (and probably wouldn't have anyway if RacerX hadn't sent me a PM). But, hmm, I sure ain't inactive that long...

Anyway, I'll take a look as soon as I discover how to work with the PSDK over Wine.
Coolness! I am sorry I must have read your forum statistics wrong. But yes That would be wonderful. I request a way of the telemetry .kml file being able to be recorded (every X secs or so before it is re-written) to a directory other then just orbiters directory determined by the user. In other words ask the user where the file is to be recorded to if thats possible.

Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Coolness! I am sorry I must have read your forum statistics wrong. But yes That would be wonderful. I request a way of the telemetry .kml file being able to be recorded (every X secs or so before it is re-written) to a directory other then just orbiters directory determined by the user. In other words ask the user where the file is to be recorded to if thats possible.
Yes, it would be possible. Problem is, long playthroughs or short ones with many vessels creates KMLs too large to be completely rewritten every second.

The best approach, instead, is to use three neat KML features: links, cookies and deltas. The first instructs Google Earth to load data from another KML file, or from an HTTP server, and to update it automagically. The cookie and delta features allows only the changes (i.e. new telemetry) to be transmitted through the wire.

I've attached an early alpha version with the same functionality as the previous Google Earth Tracker (generating a "telemetry.kml"), plus a primitive KML live feed accessed by opening "live.kml" with Google Earth.

*Primitive*, as it lacks (listed in order of priority):

- Deltas: everything is retransmitted. As a side effect, the (random) track colours change every update;
- An 'at' marker: there is nothing marking where any vessel is now, meaning Google Earth can't follow it as it moves.
- Support for 'jumps': if a vessel is manually moved (using the scenario editor, for example), the tracker will assume it has travelled between the previous and current coordinates.

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Awsome! I will play with it in about. 2 hours

I am getting c++ runtime errors in windows 7. I installed 2008 redistribution to no avail still trying. This isnt by chance a debug version is it?

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I tried your link and it says i already have a newer version. I have vs2008 and 2010 on this machine along with both 2005,2008,2010 runtimes .net 4

http://i.imgur.com/eCB2d.jpg

issue resolved on a vanilla orbiter install.
Ok that was wierd after running and closing vanilla install orbiter...restarting it gives me same error. It ran the first time although I did not see anything in google earth. I then stopped orbiter and viewed live.kml in notepad++ saw that it looked a little blank. I then restarted orbiter and same error as in the picture link above popped up
ANOTHER EDIT: Ran it on a second orbiter win7 machine same issue

Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, it seems the issue is due to a missing manifest in the DLL, and should be fixed in this second alpha.

In addition, incremental updates are woking now, but Google Earth chokes and stop updating two minutes into the simulation.

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am having same issue as the pic in my post above. But now it is setting off my antivirus. I turned off antivirus re-downloaded and installed and ran it same results as the pic in my above post. Upon failure of the addon to run I then removed it. Maybe it is a false positive or it could very well be an actual infection on your end trying to spread to me. I took no chances and removed it. I am sure it is a false positive though. Hell my antivirus reports chrome.exe as a suspicious process lol

http://i.imgur.com/Wrf6A.jpg

I did read something about the manifest thing when checking into my error.

Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am having same issue as the pic in my post above. But now it is setting off my antivirus. I turned off antivirus re-downloaded and installed and ran it same results as the pic in my above post. Upon failure of the addon to run I then removed it. Maybe it is a false positive or it could very well be an actual infection on your end trying to spread to me. I took no chances and removed it. I am sure it is a false positive though. Hell my antivirus reports chrome.exe as a suspicious process lol

http://i.imgur.com/Wrf6A.jpg

I did read something about the manifest thing when checking into my error.
A false positive: http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/e107eae9f5604a1c09855816a523d55ed7fa31e6

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
No idea why the library is not loaded even though it is there, so I'll just slip the dirt under the carpet...

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I will test it in about 5 hours

EDIT: It Works! :) I see the data after I close orbiter if I view telemetry file. How do I use the live.kml file i dont see anything in GE if I open it

Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Everything critical is now working as it should (at least on my machine :p), so this is now the first beta of the Google Earth Tracking System.

EDIT: I'll leave this here for the curious. See the next page for an update.

Attachments

• GETS-Beta1-Static.zip
    86.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How do I use the live.kml file i dont see anything in GE if I open it
Open Orbiter and start a scenario (say, Orbiter 2010->Welcome). Leave it running, and then open 'live.kml'. You should see all vessels orbiting Earth live.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Man! You are brilliant! I am using it in Orbiter multiplayer right now and i added a ISS it is tracking me with my name RacerX and the ISS in realtime...this is simply awsome! You da man MeDics :thumbup:
you can see it live here http://www.livestream.com/ksp2012?t=484943

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Oops. The version I posted dumps the HTTP request sent by Google Earth, and the KML updates sent back by the plugin into two files: 'hdr', and 'dump'. Unless you're curious to know what happens behind the scenes, it's better to use this new revision.

Attachments

• GETS-Beta2-Static.zip
    86.1 KB · Views: 13

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Any chance to get an update compatible with Orbiter 2016?

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Any chance to get an update compatible with Orbiter 2016?
Wow, it's been six years :eek:wned:

Sorry, it's very unlikely I'll update it. The addon itself is rather simple (the first version took me a few hours AFAIR), so I don't think it's impossible for someone else to come and release a Google Earth Tracker 3 compatible with the latest Orbiter.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, it's been six years :eek:wned:

Sorry, it's very unlikely I'll update it. The addon itself is rather simple (the first version took me a few hours AFAIR), so I don't think it's impossible for someone else to come and release a Google Earth Tracker 3 compatible with the latest Orbiter.

Hope someone will do it. It is a nice tool :thumbup: