Search "Gravity"Tiangong scene-like Scenario

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
Has anyone made this scenario, or at least a recreation using default models? I would love to jump to a space station in EVA at an altitude where the atmosphere starts to affect movement, getting to a ship in time to re-enter unharmed. I know it's an unrealistic scene, but the concept is still cool. Or at least other scenarios involving upper atmosphere EVA.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6320"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6320[/ame]

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Note: Tiangong is in a stable orbit in this scenario because it's physically impossible for a Soyuz to get to 600km to a re-entering space station in the space of a few minutes off of a single DM breaking burn.

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
I'm aware of that scenario already. I hoping for something more along the lines of an early re-entry EVA where you have to get to a station or vessel before you burn up.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's possible to set it up with any station you like using the scenario editor, or even just deorbiting it with a docked spacecraft. Some time a while back, I lowered the ISS's periapsis to 80 or 90 km with a deltaglider, then tried doing loops around it. It even survived for two or three orbits without deorbiting. EVA didn't work out so well, though, as the UMMU thrusters were underpowered for the job.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
It's possible to set it up with any station you like using the scenario editor, or even just deorbiting it with a docked spacecraft. Some time a while back, I lowered the ISS's periapsis to 80 or 90 km with a deltaglider, then tried doing loops around it. It even survived for two or three orbits without deorbiting. EVA didn't work out so well, though, as the UMMU thrusters were underpowered for the job.

:eek:fftopic: Oh yeah...! A while back, I used the Delta Glider's "Docked at ISS" scenario to try the exact same thing. I succeeded only in applying a torque and tumbling the ISS and I couldn't do anything after that, because it became uncontrollable. And not because I ran out of fuel...

I think it had to do with the DG thrusters being too underpowered as well, because even at 10x, the ISS would never orient to, say, retrograde.

Just thought I should share this.

EDIT: I actually tried a single large deorbit burn, didn't occur to me to try consecutively. Either way, I still couldn't keep a proper orientation.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
With a low enough thrust, it should be possible. You can orient to retrograde at apoapsis, then burn for a while every orbit for a couple of orbits, eventually bringing you down to the right periapsis.

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
I would have to be a VERY shallow de-orbit though to get the job done. I've achieved crazy orbits in the DG before where I'd dip down enough for the atmosphere to change the orientation to nose first, but still have enough velocity to get shot back out for another go. I'll if I can try that again. It's even easier on Triton. Maybe I'll try an EVA 10 meters off of Triton's surface during periapsis. XD

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I've achieved crazy orbits in the DG before where I'd dip down enough for the atmosphere to change the orientation to nose first, but still have enough velocity to get shot back out for another go.

Sorry, a little :eek:fftopic:

Crazy orbits, huh? I recall with one particular addon, how I did absolutely nothing except press the launch button and a few separation events, and I ended up in a very elliptical orbit that was so long it got kind of boring.

When I came in for closest approach, the DG flew right into the atmosphere and burnt up, or at least it would've if it could. I didn't expect that. But then, that was still some ride. :)

From start to reentry it was 2991165s, or basically just over 1.15 months, if I'm calculating correctly.

picture.php