Request GUI Tool Request

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...0&share_fid=8246&share_type=t&link_source=app

Calculating the dry mass of a 5m+ diameter stage.

I lack the coding skills necessary to do this, but would someone be interested in putting together a program/tool using the formulas in this thread?

Basically just something where a user could put in the required information and get the (required) parameters back?

Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

I tried learning some C# coding to create it, but I just can't get it to work. I could see how with time, I MIGHT be able to get a console program to work, but I feel like a proper GUI would be much nicer and also enable others to create realistic add-ons. It's just the math implementation that I can't wrap my head around.

Side note: I hope I linked to the thread correctly. I'm using Tapatalk and I'm going to try to make sure it works correctly.

Side, side note: When using the above link, it goes to the last post (mine). The formulas are in the first 2-6 posts I believe. The person providing the information is an excellent resource, and I believe a (possibly) stand-alone program (ideally) would be a great tool for add-on makers trying to create realistic rockets/spacecraft.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I lack the coding skills necessary to do this, but would someone be interested in putting together a program/tool using the formulas in this thread?

There is not much information in your request here besides pointing to a different thread.

Creating a simple form-style GUI is not a problem, however deriving formulas and layout from some dev-talk in the forums is.

I'd suggest to first sort the information, get an idea what your input-fields should be, get an idea what your output should look like and put together a kind of mathematical roadmap to guide from input to output. You don't need coding-skills or huge math-skills to do that, something like "use field 'stage diameter' to calculate bulkhead-size via formula A to C, get output 'volume' from there, then calculate propellant mass according to selected field 'fuel type', yaddayadda".

Once you have presented this basic "specification", potential contributors would know better what this should look like.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance. I knew in my head what I wanted I guess, but didn't really know how or where to start.

I'll try to figure something out and put some things together.

Off the top of my head, I was thinking something along the lines of i.e. selecting structural material, which would be paired with its correct mass, input the size (amount), etc. Choose fuel type/combinations and get the output densities. Input things like engine type for specific-impulse, TWR and the like(either real-world or user defined for "custom" engines). And then an output, once everything else is entered, of essentially whether the chosen configuration would even make it to LEO, payload to LEO, GTO, etc.

I'll have to find some time to sit down and put together a proper roadmap and decide what the options flow order should be, which formulas would apply where, etc.

Thank you. And if you see this in time, have a safe and happy New Years!

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've designed the GUI, but I have exams till the 11th of Jan, so I can't write the code until then.

I want to know which outputs should be shown to the user. For example, the user might not need the fuel volume, so the program won't show it on the outputs, even though it'll be calculated as it's needed to calculate other things.

Once I've finished the basic program, I can make tools to calculate the density, convert units, etc.

The program name is 'Rocket Calculator'. Is this a good name? If not, could you suggest a name?

Attachments

• RocketCalculator_Preview.png
    RocketCalculator_Preview.png
    55 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've designed the GUI, but I have exams till the 11th of Jan, so I can't write the code until then.

I want to know which outputs should be shown to the user. For example, the user might not need the fuel volume, so the program won't show it on the outputs, even though it'll be calculated as it's needed to calculate other things.

Once I've finished the basic program, I can make tools to calculate the density, convert units, etc.

The program name is 'Rocket Calculator'. Is this a good name? If not, could you suggest a name?
Wow. You've accomplished in like 2 days what I could not have done in month. What language is it in?

As for your questions, I was thinking maybe split it up into sections.

1. Tank specifications

2. Rocket body/structure/skin itself.
2a - Are the tanks all internal? Is the rocket body itself part of the tank with only bulkheads and internal equipment inside?
2b - Selecting a specific material?
---Steel, aluminum, etc which would cause weight differences due to differing densities?
2c - Are there common bulkheads or not?

3. Fuel combos such as RP-1/LOX, hypergolics, Hydrolox, etc.

4. Total vehicle weight vs stage weight

5. Engine selection
5a - Preexisting hardware, ie Merlin's, RD-180, NK-33 and other variants in current use that could be selected from a drop-down menu to pre-populate fields.
5b - Custom "user created" engine, which already appears to be compatible with the layout you posted.
5c - # of engines per stage. Is this thing a crazy monstrosity like the N1 with 30 engines or a single engine core?

6. Boosters? Liquid vs solid variants

7. Total payload capacity
7a - Orbit specific, ie LEO, GTO, Polar etc.

8. Save/load function so a user doesn't lose a design somewhere.

9. I'm realizing how tall of an order this is and how difficult it is going to be. Ugh.

These were just some ideas bouncing around my head. If anything is too much, then please, by all means, don't feel the need to do it.