Guide to install addons without any headaches?

dehat42

Reaction score
Was wondering if there is a guide, either in the docs or elsewhere, on how to install addons for Orbiter. Basically I am looking for specifics on where to unzip files to depending on the type of addon. For example, for the Orbiter Sound, I just directed the unzipped file to the "Orbiter" folder. I am working on downloading a bunch of stuff and don't want to send it to the wrong place.

Thanks for your help. I'm starting to get the hang of this...even got into about as close as a circular orbit as you can around the Earth...will post a screen shot.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
... headaches? :blink:

I don't know many games, that are simpler in terms of installing add-ons than Orbiter.

Usually, the big problem is missing dependencies or poorly packaged add-ons. But those are exceptions, not the rule.

And when the simply way fails, it is pretty simple to get the files sorted, by looking at the filename extension:

.cfg --> config
.ini --> spacecraft or multistage
.msh --> meshes
.tex --> textures
.dds --> textures or textures2
.dll --> modules
.scn --> scenarios

This usually helps fixing those add-ons, that really badly cause problems. Just always look into the zip file before extracting it and check what awaits you.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Generally, all addons are zipped files (archives).
If you don't have it already, download 7-zip (www.7-zip.org) and manage your achives with that.

The structure of the zipped addon generally mirrors Orbiter's folders structure.
To be on the safe side, I always decompress (unzip) my downloaded addons in an empty folder (right click on addon -> 7-zip context menu -> extract in "addon_filename\"), so I can visually check if the folders are the correct ones.

If they are, I move those folders into my main Orbiter folder, and delete the remaining empty folder created by 7-zip.
If they are not, I can fix things manually, but I won't have screwed my Orbiter install.

Some addons may be in an executable form (exe files), like OrbiterSound.
Some others are simple DLL files or maybe textures, and in this case there should be some readmes telling you what to do with them.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, if you want, you can just unzip to the Orbiter folder and maintain the file structure (meaning Meshes got into the Meshes folder, Config goes to the Config folder, etc).

A popular alternative is to use a MOD tool. I use the Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler. What this does is create a folder titled MODS, and this is where you will place all your addons. Here's an example...

Orbiter_2010
.Config
.Doc
.Meshes
.MODS
...ASVI
...CSSC
...Cupola_v2
...Energia-M
......Config
......Doc
......Meshes
......Scenarios
......Textures
......Readme.txt
...HCLV_Hyperion
.Modules
.Scenarios
.Textures
.Textures2
Ecetera...

So you unzip them into their own folder, inside the MODS folder. When you want to use the addon, run the mod tool; you can then select what addon you want to add (or take out of) your Orbiter.

There is an added advantage of using it as a troubleshooting tool. If you load up a new addon and Orbiter crashes, you can remove the addon and see if Orbiter is "fixed". Then you'll know something with that last addon didn't agree with Orbiter (there's stuff from Orbiter 2003 that may or may not work with Orbiter 2010).

Using the mod tool allows you to remove an addon that either doesn't work anymore, or you just don't want to use anymore, without having to dig through the Orbiter file structures and remove everything by hand. Just delete it out of the MODS folder and it's gone.

The Energia-M listed is a shameless plus BTW :)

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's also possible to maintain what addons are installed with a tool like JSGME, which will install and remove the addons you specify. It's best to start with a clean copy of Orbiter and let JSGME have control right from the start. The thread I linked to contains a guide for another game, but the "G" in JSGME stands for "Generic", and you should find it straightforward to adapt to Orbiter (and other games, too).

Edit: haha, :ninja:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The only real headache is when add-ons come with old versions of some modules. Multistage and Spacecraft.dll based add-ons suffer from this.
Other common problem is rewriting of base launchpads, specially for Cape Canaveral.

Nothing serious, but may be troublesome for a novice to correct.

So always check all the add-on content for stuff that may not belong there and in doubt make manual backups of the overwritten files.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Well, if you want, you can just unzip to the Orbiter folder and maintain the file structure (meaning Meshes got into the Meshes folder, Config goes to the Config folder, etc)...
BUT if the said addon has a weird folder structure (often a useless extra root folder, for example, or NO folders at all), the poor noob user doesn't find the addon...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I dig it. But in that case, poor noob user can ask us for help. Cause we're awesome that way :cool:

dehat42

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies. I set up a folder to send all of the unzipped folders to move files from to the required Orbiter folders. Right now something is not working right with what I downloaded (Wallops Island and its update to add the pads). And I have no idea where "Orbiter.log" is located to find out what the error is...I am trying the scenarios and get a critical error.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Orbiter log file is in the main Orbiter folder. Should be a text file (I just checked, mine is 8 kb in size).

There is an Orbiter.log and an Orbiter.cfg, for best results post them both and we'll see what we can do.

dehat42

Reaction score
Regarding config files...are you supposed to put them straight into the "config" folder or put the folder that has the config files into the folder?

And I did not find an Orbiter.log file...unless the system is hiding it.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Regarding config files...are you supposed to put them straight into the "config" folder or put the folder that has the config files into the folder?

And I did not find an Orbiter.log file...unless the system is hiding it.

In the addon there will be a config folder. Merge that config folder with your orbiter config folder.

The .log extension will be hidden. You'll have two files called orbiter. One will have a notepad like icon, this is the orbiter.log file.

dehat42

Reaction score
I found the log file...

Can't launch a rocket unless you have the rocket files...duh...

I guess I have to get the "vinka" files and the ones for the rockets installed next.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yes yes YES!
There's a whole bunch of craft that need Spacecraft3, and/or Multistage2.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

I don't know many games, that are simpler in terms of installing add-ons than Orbiter.

I've found that many/most games that aren't put out by big gaming corporations are similar, if they do in fact support addons.

Last edited:

Renegade

Reaction score

Usually, the big problem is missing dependencies or poorly packaged add-ons. But those are exceptions, not the rule.

And when the simply way fails, it is pretty simple to get the files sorted, by looking at the filename extension:

.cfg --> config
.ini --> spacecraft or multistage
.msh --> meshes
.tex --> textures
.dds --> textures or textures2
.dll --> modules
.scn --> scenarios

This usually helps fixing those add-ons, that really badly cause problems. Just always look into the zip file before extracting it and check what awaits you.
Hello :)

The files with elev and surf extension, where do you put these?

Regards ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hello :)

The files with elev and surf extension, where do you put these?

Regards ;)

First solution: The herd thinking method. Look into the orbiter folder, where the other files of these types are. ;)

Otherwise: Of course, into one of the two textures folders. textures is baseline for your installation, textures2 allows testing higher resolution textures WHILE keeping the baseline.

Darkriser

Reaction score
Just my two cents regarding this kind of problem (e.g. add-ons overwriting base files, files' version conflicts, etc.).
A local git repository may be very useful here. Simply, initialize a local Repo in Orbiter's root folder and you're done.
The ability of creating/switching branches very easily allows you to maintain 'multiple installations' within a single folder very effectively.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, sorry, I can't resist (careful, read the included documentation, overdose can destroy your kidney permanently).

00056500123152_a1c1_en.jpg