Hardware Guys, Joystick ..??

Chris74

Reaction score
Guys, how to set up a normal joystick with 4-8-16 etc buttons?
for example for the various functions of ravenstar
airbrake, views, autopilots, trim,

:blink:

i dont get it... how come theres no joystick thread in this huge forum?
how do you guys play proper deadstick landing etc?

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Re: Hardware Guys, Joystick ..??

You do not need a joystick to fly Orbiter. Just use the keyboard like I do until 14 January.

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I use JoyToKey to map a given joystick button to a given keypress. :tiphat:

JoyToKey homepage said:
JoyToKey (or Joy2Key) enables PC game controllers to emulate the keyboard and mouse input, so that windows applications and web games can be controlled with your favorite joysticks! Whenever buttons and sticks are pressed on the controllers, JoyToKey converts them into keyboard strokes and/or mouse movements so that the target application will work as if a real keyboard and a mouse were used.

Also, in Orbiter's "Joystick" tab in the launch pad, you can configure your joystick throttle axis to map to Orbiter's throttle.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Check this "old" addon:

[ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3223"]Fly-By-Wire 0.9.1 beta[/ame]

I think that it might help you.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I use JoyToKey to map a given joystick button to a given keypress. :tiphat:

Also, in Orbiter's "Joystick" tab in the launch pad, you can configure your joystick throttle axis to map to Orbiter's throttle.

The problem with that is that only one "joystick" device can be used at any time, so if one has e.g. rudder pedals for another sim then they can't be used.

It's a bit of a bummer since many sticks have the "stick" part and the "throttle" part connect separately via USB, and so they show up as separate devices and can't be used together in Orbiter out of the box.

Fly-by-Wire does make it possible, but as far as I know the developer isn't active anymore and if/when it'll stop working it's going to be problematic.

Being able to assign even just main throttle, pitch, yaw and rudder axes to separated devices would already be a huge improvement.

AeroSpatial

Reaction score
I wrote my own plugin for joystick control.

Features include:
- can toggle stick between RCS control and aerodynamic control
- can toggle throttle between main thrusters and hover thrusters
- buttons and hat control work as I want them to

Not sure how much interest there would be in the community for yet-another-joystick-plugin, so it wouldn't currently be suitable for distribution, but I'd very happily hand around the source.

It should very easily be modifiable to incorporate multiple controllers. In fact, my next project is to get using a mobile phone accelerometer (6 degrees of freedom!) for flying.

schr75

Reaction score
The problem with that is that only one "joystick" device can be used at any time, so if one has e.g. rudder pedals for another sim then they can't be used.

It's a bit of a bummer since many sticks have the "stick" part and the "throttle" part connect separately via USB, and so they show up as separate devices and can't be used together in Orbiter out of the box.

Fly-by-Wire does make it possible, but as far as I know the developer isn't active anymore and if/when it'll stop working it's going to be problematic.

Being able to assign even just main throttle, pitch, yaw and rudder axes to separated devices would already be a huge improvement.

I use PPjoy
https://softradar.com/ppjoy/
It enables me to use my joystick, throttle and rudder pedals as one unit with no problems.

I have no experience using external keymappers as I´m the happy owner of a heavily modded HOTAS Cougar, so I can map all the keys I want directly in the Joystick:)

Hope this helps

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Anybody tried to implement separate engine throttle control?

MVA

Reaction score
Anybody tried to implement separate engine throttle control?
I have. For this purpose I use Joystick Gremlin that use a virtual joystick. So I have lot of axies on few physical separated devices. Moreover, I have ability to control all axies at same time (3 rotation axies and 3 linear axies) without swithching beetwin the modes.