HELP!!! I NEED MOON HEIGHTSMAP LEVEL 9!!

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
I tried to download moon level 9 heightsmap from orulex landscape but when it reaches 25/10368 it stops!
do you know a link where i can download it without problems?
Thanks!!

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Yes i have it! I use landscape config because world studio is not so simple!
Thank you!

SPASE_1976

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyone knows where to find moon heightmaps as pictures

i heard that real heighmaps exist only for some regions of the moon and the rest are photo based edited heighmaps - not based on real altimetry data

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I tried to download moon level 9 heightsmap from orulex landscape but when it reaches 25/10368 it stops!
do you know a link where i can download it without problems?
The problem with lv9 heightmaps is that they are 300Mb compressed each, and i don't exactly have enough webspace to host them permanently.

The Clementine servers the World Studio and older Landscape Configurator takes heightmap data from is not particularly stable, so downloading 10000+ separate tiles from it to make a global lv9 heightmap is just a futile endeavor most of the time.

I'm welcome to any ideas and proposals to where the hi-res heightmaps (~1Gb total - Earth, Mars, Moon) could be stored, or a reliable public domain server from where the corresponding data (1.85 km/pixel for Earth, 250m/pixel for Moon or better) could be obtained in a legible format.

Here is the Moon Lv9 one:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/moon-hmap-lv9.zip (309Mb) (offline from 080721)

Actually, the sky is the limit - the heightmaps are not strictly bound to the Orbiter lv's, and so can be of any reasonable dimensions. Heightmap Lv8 is about Lv 8.3 by textures standard.

And do you have the latest orulex (1.0)?
If not, download it here: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2686
1.0 is getting older day by day, the recent testing version is already more stable in terms of sudden landscape changes, better looks and large world studio map:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=2007
No way to tell if there is any bugs, since no-one seems to want to test it or able to find one.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about using BitTorrent?

SPASE_1976

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i hope the new orbiter has the Celestia feature of bumb map heighmaps
HEY! got an idea Celestia is open source cant we just peak at the source code ?
BETTER IDEA ! what if martin cooperates with the celestia development team

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone knows where to find moon heightmaps as pictures

What do you mean with "heigthmaps as pictures"?

i heard that real heighmaps exist only for some regions of the moon and the rest are photo based edited heighmaps - not based on real altimetry data

That's pretty much true. There does exist a DEM derived from the Clementine data, but that one has a very coarse resolution except the polar regions.

Only the areas covered by the ground tracks of Apollo 15 to 17 using laser altimeter and stereo mapping cameras are the highest resolution lunar surface elevation data digitally available publicly up to this day.
I've been researching hours about this, and let me tell you, I'd be the first to know if there'd be a "Level 9" like elevation map for the moon available.
BTW, NASA's World Wind Application uses the Apollo derived data-set for the lunar terrain, just in case you might have a look at it.

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh, I see.

Well, the Clementine data derived map is this one: http://www.buining.com/planets/MoonDEM0720.png
As you can see, it is not overwhelmingly detailed. You can recognize the Mare basins and the general features, however not really suitable for low lunar orbits.

I'm wondering which elevation data is used in the Lvl 9 heightmap Artlav mentions above. Does it use the Apollo data which is used in WorldWind as well?

SPASE_1976

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i am using pov-ray to make a realistic moon thats why i need the heighmaps :)i quit it months ago but now i want to restart the project
the prob is that i must make a prog to calculate the moon /sun position - the pic is not 'scientific correct'
thanx very good map

This pic is ray tracing generated (pov ray)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm wondering which elevation data is used in the Lvl 9 heightmap Artlav mentions above. Does it use the Apollo data which is used in WorldWind as well?

It was made from "Clementine global Moon terrain" of Nasa WorldWind.
WorldWind is the main source of datasets for Orulex, both heightmaps and over-lv12 textures.

Can you give me links for mars and earth level 9?
Just as i said above - no hosting space to keep them all up at once.

What about using BitTorrent?
What about it?
More specifically, where can i find a non-"piracy" tracker and who will seed the files apart from me?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire