Help support Orbiter on Xfire!

Cornflake

Reaction score
Hi all,

I created a thread on the Xfire forums in the New Game Ideas category to help rally support for Orbiter to be added to Xfire. You can see the thread here: Xfire Forums: Orbiter 2006 (Yes, I'm Codysg7).

Adding support for Orbiter into Xfire would allow anyone who plays the game to see it listed on their profile page, how many hours of it they've played, and would allow posting of screenshots and videos. :speakcool: If anyone's curious to see what the profile page you get looks like after registering for Xfire, see my profile.

I urge anyone who's used Xfire and played Orbiter 2006 to drop by, vote, and preferably post showing your support for Orbiter 2006 over Xfire so we can really share the game with the community. Without many people coming to respond I doubt we'll ever see it supported. So strength in numbers!

- Cornflake

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
uhm.. what's this xfire is all about?

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
+1 for me too.

It would be quite interesting to see how long I am acually on Orbiter... :speakcool:

Cornflake

Reaction score
Great so far ;) Keep the posts comin'!

uhm.. what's this xfire is all about?

Well, In my first post I already talked a little bit about this. But basically it is like MSN messenger for gamers -- plus a ton of other features. It allows you to talk to friends in-game, and see how many hours they have played, what games they play, and allows you and friends to post and view screenshots. So if Orbiter was supported, we could add each other as friends and talk in-game, and view screenshots and video's we've all recorded from Orbiter. Also the profile page you get if you register for Xfire saves all kinds of statistics (Go to my post and look at my profile to see an example).

If you need to know any more, visit the Xfire Wikipedia Article.

Cornflake

Reaction score
Come on, 7 votes and 3 posts on the thread? We're going to need more support than that!

Cornflake

Reaction score
Well, there isn't an "official" number. But a whole hell of a lot more than 8; some games have multiple pages of support and still haven't been added yet. It's kind of sad considering this thread has 206 views already.

P.S. Well hello Tex :)

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
huh, my nickname already taken, besides I'm still unsure if it's worth it (ainn't it all about multiplayer games like BTF, anyway?)

But since no harm will come from it I voted

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would vote against it, as long as there is no full multiplayer add-on around. Come on, people, it is too early. Try some patience.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I would vote against it, as long as there is no full multiplayer add-on around. Come on, people, it is too early. Try some patience.

Seems you don't understand Xfire. Its not just for multiplayer games, although it's features are nice for multiplayer games, it would be good for promoting the community and also logs stats and hours played. Personally I think it'd be cool. If you don't want to use it then that's totally your decision, but why be negative about it? :dry:

Cody here is only trying to help the community and Orbiter users, maybe even have a little more fun with it...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Seems you don't understand Xfire. Its not just for multiplayer games, although it's features are nice for multiplayer games, it would be good for promoting the community and also logs stats and hours played. Personally I think it'd be cool. If you don't want to use it then that's totally your decision, but why be negative about it? :dry:

Cody here is only trying to help the community and Orbiter users, maybe even have a little more fun with it...

My personal experience is just, that it works better for multiplayer, while single player games get reduced a bit to "for your information".

Also, I don't think that disappointing people is a good way to promote Orbiter.
Orbiter is no I've Found Her Or X-Wing. Waiting some months with such promo work until Orbiter is ready (for example with OMP getting mature and the next Orbiter Version released) would be better than now promoting it and reply "That comes later" to all requests what are considered standard by most gamers.

We have not even a flight logging tool like MSFS has currently.

I won't stop cody, but that is my opinion. I have nothing to do with Xfire, as I only used it myself for a few months before getting back to my standard IMs.

Cornflake

Reaction score
It's fine, Urwumpe is entitled to his opinion :)

Also, I don't think that disappointing people is a good way to promote Orbiter.
Orbiter is no I've Found Her Or X-Wing. Waiting some months with such promo work until Orbiter is ready (for example with OMP getting mature and the next Orbiter Version released) would be better than now promoting it and reply "That comes later" to all requests what are considered standard by most gamers.

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. As far as disappointment goes, It's their fault if they do not properly research what the game is about and just assume it's a shoot 'em up Xwing game. There's a reason why it's called a "sim" ;) Although, maybe in my description blurb on my Xfire post I should be a little more clear on how complex it is.

And I think now is as good a time as any to promote the game. OMP has a long, long way to go before it's even really worth playing beyond the beta test. And we have no idea when the new Orbiter client will be out, and it doesn't make the game any more accessible for newbies as the seperation between Orbiter and Orbiter no graphics makes it that much more complex. Beyond cripser textures, and the new graphics plug in system, we really don't know any strong facts about what the next version will include.

Besides, it might take a while to get it supported. Might as well start now. There's lots of advantages to supporting a single player only game over Xfire :)

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I have been looking at some profiles, and one profile had 50 hours on a single player game :huh:

when we are using skype or IM we cannot be running orbiter, unless in windowed mode. With Xfire you can, and have a log of hours.

Its not the end of the world or orbiter if this passes or doesnt. In my opinion its better to have to option to use xfire then to not have the option at all.