Problem High-resolution texture packs problem

alecislaghi

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I installed Orbiter 2016 and decided to install the "High-resolution texture packs" for Mars and Minor Bodies.
Problem 1: After installing the "Mars Express HRSC data (level-4)" pack, I tested, and everything seems to be working fine, but I noticed a giant square black line, going almost all the way from the south pole to the north pole of Mars. And when zooming in and out of the planet, these lines disappear, then reappear, or show another "division" in a different direction. It's not a big deal, to be honest, but it's there and it's visible. Is there any way to get rid of them? (And yes, I did change the config file with all the info given about how to install)

Problem 2: Now this is a bit more complicated, after installing the Phobos texture and surface ".tree" files, I went to the moon to check and see if everything was ok, but as soon as I arrived I noticed this: when away from the planet, it shows the moon as being round!?!? Then I approach Phobos all the way untill I can see my DeltaGlider, and the moon becomes "normal" with its deformations as it should be. But...if I zoom out, not all the way to be miles away, the surface becomes "squared" and round at the same time!

I tried to change my D3D9 Client, from the 3.12 to the 3.13 and also tried the 4.0, but that didn't seem to make any visible change. All look the same.

I can live with "the Mars problem", because it's just a black line across the planet that eventually goes away. But the Phobos terrain, it's doing my nerves... :rofl: (It's hard to be a perfectionist sometimes)

Anyway, if anyone knows what's going on here and how to fix this, I'd appreciate your help!
Thanks;

Alex.

alecislaghi

Reaction score
I made a few more tests and my conclusion:

- I installed Orbiter 2016, clean, without any addon or anything else. Also, I installed the stable D3D9 Client 3.12. Then I installed the Mars high definition textures and elevation pack, from Orbiter website as well, following all the instructions, changed the config file, etc... So basically everything was as "vanilla" as possible, and those black lines still appear around the planet. In huge squared areas, and as I move the camera around the planet, they change position.

So I started to look into the settings for my video card, in the Advanced tab, but I'm not very confident about changing those settings as they're not very intuitive for a noob like me. I also tried to read the D3D9 manual, but it seems out of date, with different types of settings that I don't see in my window.

Is there any other manual, regarding the specific 3.12 version?
Does anyone knows how to setup those settings with a NVIDIA graphics card?

The other thing I noticed is that Orbiter refuses to follow my instructions on NVIDIA Control Panel. I use NVIDIA Profile Inspector to all of my games, and in this software, you can customize all the graphics settings for specific games, aplications. It's exaclty the same thing as the "Program Settings" found on the stock Control Panel for NVIDIA cards, but with a lot more options to twick things.

If anyone that has a NVIDIA graphics card knows how to twick this settings, please let me know. I have a GTX 1060 by the way.

Thanks;
Alex.

Stebb

Reaction score
Me Too

I have been using version D3D9 R2.1 for a long time and this has recently started showing black lines carving great circles across one hemisphere of Mars, (north-south and east-west ) forming a spherical segment. This effect normally occured when viewing the whole planet. Zooming in and out and rotating around Mars would often cause the black lines to jump to new positions.

I tried to cure this by installing newer version R3.12, but Orbiter failed to start, I just got a list of text on the console screen. So I gave up with that and reinstalled R2.1 which worked fine, and magically the Mars black line issue was cured !!!

I do wonder whether the black line issue I experienced may have been caused by me tweaking the D3D9 control panel and atmospheric settings over time which would have been reset to defaults when R2.1 was reinstalled.