High school math.

AstroBeatle

Nowhere Man
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am willing to be an astronautical engineer, and I know I need a solid background in physics, chemistry, and math. I'm in 10th grade and about to end the 1st term with a crap score. take two types of math, extended (required for everyone), and Additional math, which is more difficult. I need help on how to increase my grade for both math subjects. My grades in E-math, I got a 90 in my first quiz, then a 72 in the second. I think I messed up my exam today and predict a score of around 70. A-math, 80 on my first quiz and I flunked the second. My exam is on Friday. Please help me on how to get straight A's for math! In 9th grade last year, my report card grades for E-math were 70s and 80s, and in A-math, 70s all the way til I got exactly 80 in the last term. With this kind of 9th grade report card and a not very satisfying 10th grade 1st term result, how bad will it be for me, as in, what are the chances of minimizing and decreasing my entry in engineering school? I want to enter Arizona State for my bachelor's, and you need a 3.5 GPA. I am in Indonesia. For you international students who studied in the US, I would also like to ask you what type of questions they ask you when you get your visa, anything you remember, even on topics such as security and criminal records. Thanks in advance.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Do a project in Orbiter that requires alot of math. :)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A change in attitude might help.;)

AstroBeatle

Nowhere Man
Reaction score
Lolzzz

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Appreciated your sense of humor though...

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
One suggestion I could make is to get the book beforehand and go through the required sections the semester or the Summer before you take the class. Get the syllabus from the teacher to know the sections you need to cover.
You have to also do the assigned problems though. That might be hard to do all on your own. If you were friends with someone who was ahead of you in the courses they took that was good in math they might be able to help you work out the problems.

Bob Clark

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am willing to be an astronautical engineer, and I know I need a solid background in physics, chemistry, and math. I'm in 10th grade and about to end the 1st term with a crap score. take two types of math, extended (required for everyone), and Additional math, which is more difficult. I need help on how to increase my grade for both math subjects. My grades in E-math, I got a 90 in my first quiz, then a 72 in the second. I think I messed up my exam today and predict a score of around 70. A-math, 80 on my first quiz and I flunked the second. My exam is on Friday. Please help me on how to get straight A's for math! In 9th grade last year, my report card grades for E-math were 70s and 80s, and in A-math, 70s all the way til I got exactly 80 in the last term. With this kind of 9th grade report card and a not very satisfying 10th grade 1st term result, how bad will it be for me, as in, what are the chances of minimizing and decreasing my entry in engineering school? I want to enter Arizona State for my bachelor's, and you need a 3.5 GPA. I am in Indonesia. For you international students who studied in the US, I would also like to ask you what type of questions they ask you when you get your visa, anything you remember, even on topics such as security and criminal records. Thanks in advance.

What specific subjects did you study in these courses?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yep, if you are having trouble understanding at a quick enough pace, about the only thing you can do is work harder at it. A personal tutor can be great, if you cant get that find a math study center, if you cant do that organize a study group of peers. Stay after school and spend time with the instructor. Getting behind in math is very easily a ONE WAY TRIP. Recognizing you need help and getting it right now is huge. The decisions you make and initiative you take upon yourself now can literally change the course of the rest of your life

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It will be a lot easier to get into Arizona State than to graduate from Arizona State. The math classes for aeronautics can get intense. It's hard to gauge how you'll do. It's different kinds of math than what you're likely doing now. But if you're not logically/physically-minded, it will probably be difficult. You can get through it maybe, especially if you make use of study centers on campus like statickid said. But if math and physics aren't intuitive to you, you might want to go with a different major.
I don't know what your coursework is like in Indonesia though, maybe tougher than U.S., maybe easier.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It will be a lot easier to get into Arizona State than to graduate from Arizona State.

This advice is also true of most worth-while engineering programs in the United States. Be ready to work hard. :)

Unstung

Reaction score
Yep, if you are having trouble understanding at a quick enough pace, about the only thing you can do is work harder at it. A personal tutor can be great, if you cant get that find a math study center, if you cant do that organize a study group of peers. Stay after school and spend time with the instructor. Getting behind in math is very easily a ONE WAY TRIP. Recognizing you need help and getting it right now is huge. The decisions you make and initiative you take upon yourself now can literally change the course of the rest of your life
Any of the ideas mentioned here are good to try.

Tutoring centers are decent, but at ASU they're often packed especially around the early afternoon. Fridays seem to be the least busy overall, but they close early. Therefore it's often hard to get time with a tutor but working with other student(s) actively on homework has been the most productive option I've tried. Office hours usually are incompatible with my schedule so I've hardly visited any professors.

It will be a lot easier to get into Arizona State than to graduate from Arizona State. The math classes for aeronautics can get intense.
This is the math class to fear in my experience.

ASU has a bad reputation for accepting everybody, at least on a national scale.

Also, don't forget Wolfram Alpha which can help you now and in the future.

Last edited:

kocmolyf

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dude, seriously. There's a reason why I posted this in the off-topic section :b

Quite honestly, I learned too late in life that I really need a project to make learning stick. I have a really hard time retaining math without putting it to use in context. Having a hobby or project that requires the skill you want is an incredible way to learn it.

If it were me, that's where I would start.