Project High Velocity Interplanetary Passenger Spacecraft

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is this the legendary tinfoil texture? :lol:

Seriously though, I like where this ship is going. A practical design and the product of an intelligent discussion. :thumbup:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe the transfer tunnel could be a thick fabric, like spacesuit material only tougher?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
there's yet another approach to a tractor engine that no-one has proposed...

it's a sort of propulsion-less engine - no, it ain't sci-fi - and yeah, Newtown would be turning in his grave, but Einstein wouldn't...

it's called the EmDrive

No independant peer-review has been completed, despite the inventor's claims. It has all the elements of a "OMGOMGOMG I DID IT!!!" perpetuum mobile. I remain sceptical.

insane_alien

Reaction score
looking at the principle of of operation it's clearly bumpf.

it forgets to count momentum exchange between the microwaves and the side walls instead just considering the momentum exchange between the flat surfaces at either end.

something tells me that this guy wouldn't get hydrostatic pressure either.

EDIT: the em drive thingy that is.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe the transfer tunnel could be a thick fabric, like spacesuit material only tougher?

That's essentially [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransHab"]TransHab[/ame], and it is a pretty novel idea...

I'm going in that general direction right now, with the truss extended over the transfer tunnel so there isn't a risk of buckling during a manoeuvre.

Though I am getting slightly concerned as the poly count continues to rise... :shifty:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
looking at the principle of of operation it's clearly bumpf.

it forgets to count momentum exchange between the microwaves and the side walls instead just considering the momentum exchange between the flat surfaces at either end.

Yea, exactly what I was thinking...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If the em drive were a real possibility there would be dozens of university students working on experiments with it. All these crackpot ideas get ignored for a reason.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Work on the exterior is more or less done now, except for the RCS and the (suspect) high gain antenna.

I will now be working primarily on the VC, which will have four levels, from front to back:

Crew deck: Will house some cargo storage, sleeping facilities for the crew of 4 and of course the control cockpit for the spacecraft. In the previous pusher design the cockpit rotated 90 degrees so that the pilots would not be hanging in their seat straps during cruise. In the new design, the pilots just lie on their backs.

Storage and logistics deck: Houses some of the life support systems and the food storage.

Recreation deck: Houses excersise equipment, galley/entertainment area and toilet/shower facilities designed for use in both full and microgravity.

Passenger deck: Houses space for 14 passengers in bunks. Bunks double as acceleration couches during other phases of the flight and provide a degree of privacy. Passenger cargo is stored below each bunk.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool! :speakcool: Do you plan to have VC view positions throughout?
For a more basic lander, you could just steal the landers that come with Deepstar. But I imagine this would fit in with a DGIV-type vessel anyway.
And is this "legendary tinfoil" the one you scanned and changed the colour in Gimp? :lol:

Looks good, reminds me of a baby Long Shot. :thumbup:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool! :speakcool: Do you plan to have VC view positions throughout?

Yup, either that or [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4256"]First Person Experience[/ame], which allows the user to travel around the cabin at will. It's pretty awesome. :thumbup:

For a more basic lander, you could just steal the landers that come with Deepstar.

Well, another one of my distractions, uh, projects, is an unmanned lunar logistics vehicle fueled by in-situ resources:

L4-MkII.png

An oxygen arcjet or perhaps resistojet (of dubious plausibility due to oxygen being pretty corrosive) would be used for on-orbit manouvering.

I like the idea of a realistic (or at least semi realistic) multipurpose nuclear planetary lander for Orbiter. I don't really think we've seen something of that sort yet.

And is this "legendary tinfoil" the one you scanned and changed the colour in Gimp? :lol:

Yep... :rofl:

(the silver one in the image is the exact same one with the colour unchanged :p)

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
this thing would be so OMG awesome if it had a vc! i don't wanna put any pressure, but... pleeeeese!:p

this is great! i had been longing for a realistic-ish ship for interplanetary trips! this one looks very promising!:thumbup:

great work so far! keep it up!:cheers:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
The legs and structure on that lander seem a little too thin... might be a good idea to make it a little thicker, I'm probably the only person thinking this though.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I dunno. They're supposedly aluminium tubes 25 centimeters in diameter. They only have to hold up the entire payload and fuel mass under 0.16 G, which is perhaps 111.28 tons.

I'm not trying to claim aluminium is a sort of wonder material, but I've seen aluminium alloys do some pretty impressive stuff.

I tried to model them after the legs on the LEM, for what it's worth;
apollo11_lem_big.gif

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The square on top looks like it's meant to carry UCGO boxes, amirite? :)
I might worry more about the RCS, sticking out on that one little beam.
And the shape reminds me more of Armadillo Aerospace's Pixel and Texel landers; they are much, much more minimalist:
280366436_dfa6531fbd_b.jpg

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I might worry more about the RCS, sticking out on that one little beam.
Indeed. Aluminium is a strong metal, but attaching the RCS directly to the structural hardpoints looks like a bad idea. Those struts look like they'd pull right off under any significant stress.

Also, I know it probably means nothing but it looks like y=0 is in the middle of the vessel. Is it just that way to make modeling easier?

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The square on top looks like it's meant to carry UCGO boxes, amirite? :)

Yes, UCGO and/or Payload Manager support. :)

Indeed. Aluminium is a strong metal, but attaching the RCS directly to the structural hardpoints looks like a good idea. Those struts look like they'd pull right off under any significant stress.

You're right, the struts are far too spindly. The idea was to have them on a long lever arm so they could be more effective. The thrusters are supposed to be cold gas thrusters using GOX.

Also, I know it probably means nothing but it looks like y=0 is in the middle of the vessel. Is it just that way to make modeling easier?

It was mostly to center the mesh on one point. It actually makes modelling it a bit more confusing.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Update

This is the latest layout of the ship. Most things are completed save for the RCS. I have implemented carrying racks for 16 UCGO cargos; she is by no means a cargo ship, but it does add a small extra ability.

Cockpit windows have not yet been implemented, but I have done some work on the VC.

And UCGO capability has been implemented for L4; :)

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
wow! dude that looks awsewsome!
would you mind sharing a pic of the VC? i'm just so curious right now:jiggy:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Beautiful. :)

Do you think an interstellar version of this could be made? (Scaled up to a few Km, of course)

The resemblance to the Venture Star is impeccable. :lol:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
would you mind sharing a pic of the VC? i'm just so curious right now:jiggy:

I dunno... from what I can understand, Anim8or won't allow inside views of a mesh, so all I can do are outside views... which unfortunately make as much sense as an inside-out tilapia.

Do you think an interstellar version of this could be made? (Scaled up to a few Km, of course)

It might not be an interstellar ship, but I have thought of a larger version of this ship for interplanetary purposes (larger capacity), but I really would like to do a Valkyrie for Orbiter at some point.

The resemblance to the Venture Star is impeccable. :lol:

Indeed. :p

I hope Mr Cameron doesn't complain. :lol: